Should the Pens consider dealing Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The bolded applies to the entire team for me. Any of the players currently struggling or playing below the level they're capable of (Crosby, Letang, Murray, etc.), I'm not going to even judge until I see how they perform when it matters.

Entire team, really?

Remember when we used to blame Bylsma and were right?

In this situation we are blaming the wrong people. Why would you f*** this entire team up because a certain person behind the bench can't get past his own f***ing ego?

We lost Cole because of it. We also saw only 8 games out of a rookie because of it which is a lesser issue. He also threw lobs at his starter at the start of the year which didn't help him get his game on track.

Is anyone willing to admit Sullivan is one of the biggest f***ing problems this season? Or is it "well we won two cups, he's earned some rope" yeah he has but that rope shouldn't be unconditional trust because of that.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Entire team, really?

In this situation we are blaming the wrong people. Why would you **** this entire team up because a certain person behind the bench can't get past his own ****ing ego?

We lost Cole because of it. We also saw only 8 games out of a rookie because of it which is a lesser issue. He also threw lobs at his starter at the start of the year which didn't help him get his game on track.

Is anyone willing to admit Sullivan is one of the biggest ****ing problems this season? Or is it "well we won two cups, he's earned some rope" yeah he has but that rope shouldn't be unconditional trust because of that.

What? :laugh:

I was just saying that I'm not going to come to any sort of decision about the players just because of a sub-par regular season.

I'm not sure where you then took that comment and ran with it in a rant about Sullivan. :help:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Is anyone willing to admit Sullivan is one of the biggest ****ing problems this season? Or is it "well we won two cups, he's earned some rope" yeah he has but that rope shouldn't be unconditional trust because of that.

He has been. Its been frustrating because at times you think hes snapped out of whatever day dream his head has been in.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

No, it's "This is insane, blaming the coach for every little thing after two hundred game season and a bad case of threepeat fever is nuts".

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We should have traded him years ago. Hopefully he has a meaningful playoff run so his value can go back up and we can finally execute on that.

NB: we’re at a point where the mere number 58 causes me immediate discomfort. Like seeing a clown face or hearing a song that might be by Nickelback.

I might not be entirely reasonable, I know.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Depends... While I would love a shot at a player like Quinn Hughes and get more, I dont think Letang brings back that return anymore.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We should have traded him years ago. Hopefully he has a meaningful playoff run so his value can go back up and we can finally execute on that.

NB: we’re at a point where the mere number 58 causes me immediate discomfort. Like seeing a clown face or hearing a song that might be by Nickelback.

no, we shouldn't have. Seriously, the last time he played in the playoffs he was scoring the Cup winning goal and coming in 3rd in Conn Smythe voting. So how many years ago are you talking?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Entire team, really?

In this situation we are blaming the wrong people. Why would you **** this entire team up because a certain person behind the bench can't get past his own ****ing ego?

To paraphrase what Bill Maher said about certain liberals recently, we have to be careful to make a distinction between an enemy and an imperfect friend. I take issue with a lot of what Sully does, but he's still a huge net positive.

:laugh:

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
With his injury history and his play this year I don't see how you get a great return. But he's NOT giving us 1D performance, and worse, his IQ has never seemed to improve. So once he loses a step (maybe he has?) he's going to become an albatross quickly (maybe he has).

This is NOT a guy who will age well. I think we are probably already seeing that.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
no, we shouldn't have. Seriously, the last time he played in the playoffs he was scoring the Cup winning goal and coming in 3rd in Conn Smythe voting. So how many years ago are you talking?

I’m on record in this forum blasting Letang monthly since Gonchar left and he became our nr.1. The difficult part about that is that he always has stretches where he makes critics look like idiots. Fortunately one of those stretches was in the 2016 playoffs.

Hopefully he can have one such again - I kinda hoped he was rounding in to it, as he had a great period, like most of the team, in most of January.

But then he reverts to that horrendously costly player that is always lurking under the surface.

Just tired of hoping that a 7.25 million player will not be our biggest liability on any given night. Give me someone predictably solid instead (at a lower cap hit enabling more spending elsewhere) and we’d be harder to beat.

And yes... I know injuries play a cumulative part, but that’s also a reason to let go.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I’m on record in this forum blasting Letang monthly since Gonchar left and he became our nr.1. The difficult part about that is that he always has stretches where he makes critics look like idiots. Fortunately one of those stretches was in the 2016 playoffs.

Hopefully he can have one such again - I kinda hoped he was rounding in to it, as he had a great period, like most of the team, in most of January.

But then he reverts to that horrendously costly player that is always lurking under the surface.

Just tired of hoping that a 7.25 million player will not be our biggest liability on any given night. Give me someone predictably solid instead (at a lower cap hit enabling more spending elsewhere) and we’d be harder to beat.

And yes... I know injuries play a cumulative part, but that’s also a reason to let go.
Are you considering 2011-2016 as a single good stretch? Because he was consistently a top 15 d in the league for that entire stretch. More often top 10 and occasionally top 5. Sure he had bad nights in there, but so does everyone else. You can count the dmen who were consistently better than Letang during that stretch on one hand.

This last year or so is a significantly worse stretch than Letang has ever had since establishing himself in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: GU3MS

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

:biglaugh:

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I think there are possibly Letang trades that could make sense. What would be stupid is to trade Letang for the sake of getting rid of Letang.
Of course, I just don't see that happening. Teams will want to trade us their spare parts and then we're stuck without a defenceman who can pull down a 55% CF against other team's best players.

IMO, fans are infamously terrible at evaluating defencemen outside of egregious errors and counting stats. I trust that Penguins management know what they've got in Letang.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Perhaps.

But you also DEFINITELY are not being entirely (or significantly) unreasonable.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The reason you trade him is cause he is crap so how and why will he start plauying like a d deserving that 7.25 million contract?
Maybe never, but that's not really relevant when you have guys like Sheary and Hunwick also on the team.

Even the best teams in the league have a few guys that probably aren't worth their cap hits.

He is one similar season from being our own Bobby Ryan contract...
Hardly.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He is one similar season from being our own Bobby Ryan contract...

He didn’t skate until 2 weeks before the season started. I imagine that would be a huge factor.

He was awesome under Sully before the injury.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Letang for his offensive production alone is worth his contract.

He has 3 ES goals and 25 ES points this season. Don’t tell me that’s doing it for you. On the PP he keeps a better option off the 1st unit most of the time.

Your argument would be meaningful to many in many other seasons, but surely not this one. Less so of course, when he is a sieve in our own end.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He has 3 ES goals and 25 ES points this season. Don’t tell me that’s doing it for you. On the PP he keeps a better option off the 1st unit most of the time.

Your argument would be meaningful to many in many other seasons, but surely not this one. Less so of course, when he is a sieve in our own end.
Letang would get us a good return in a trade. The guy absolutely still has value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->