Should the NHL reset the standings and start playoffs

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If the season resumes should the NHL reset the standings and start the playoffs. By reset, I mean go take each team back to the lowest number any one team played in each conference. In the East the teams would reset to their record after 68 games as that is all Carolina and the NY Islanders have played. In the West it would be 69 Games.

Here would be the point totals of each Division (listing only the teams in the playoff hunt

Atlantic: Points
Boston - 98
TB - 92
Toronto - 77
Florida - 76

Metro:
Philidelphia- 89* wins division based on H to H both with same RW and ROW
Washingon- 89
Pittsburg - 84
Carolina - 80
NY Islanders- 80
Colombus - 79

Columbus loses 2 points and falls out of the playoffs

If I have this correct Columbus drops out of the playoffs

Central:

St Louis. 92
Col 91
Dal 82
Nash. 78
Min 77
Win* 76. Winnipeg loses 4 points in the re-leveling

Pacific:
Edm. 82*. Wins on RW
Vegas 82
Van 78* 3rd based on RW
Cal 78

If the numbers are right the Win, Minn miss from the west.

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
But that'd affect the finals, if you're shaving off games you'd have to go with 68 each.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If the season resumes should the NHL reset the standings and start the playoffs. By reset, I mean go take each team back to the lowest number any one team played in each conference. In the East the teams would reset to their record after 68 games as that is all Carolina and the NY Islanders have played. In the West it would be 69 Games.

Here would be the point totals of each Division (listing only the teams in the playoff hunt

Boston - 98
TB - 92
Toronto - 77
Florida - 76

Metro:
Washingon- 89

Pittsburg - 84
Carolina - 80
NY Islanders- 80
Colombus - 79

Central:

St Louis. 92
Col 91
Dal 82
Nash. 78
Min 77

Pacific:
Edm. 82*. Wins on RW
Vegas 82
Van 78* 3rd based on RW
Cal 78

Regarding bolded. Caps still win the metro. After 68 GP both at 89pts and 31 RWs but caps have 37 ROWs to flyers 36.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Why punish teams for winning games they were scheduled to play when you could just go by point percentage and accomplish the same goal
Would point percentage change the standings as I posted?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This isn't a new problem. AHL teams play a different number of games (presumably due to travel logistics) and standings are determined by point percentage. No need to reinvent the wheel.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Would point percentage change the standings as I posted?

I posted the point percentage standings and what I can tell is that for the east it's a simple matter compare the head to head record of the Islanders and blue jackets. This gives the edge to the Islanders.

The west however is more tricky it involves 3 teams Winnipeg Calgary and Vancouver. Vancouver would qualify based on being third in the Pacific which would move Calgary to the wildcard spot which moves Winnipeg out. Personally I'd like to see a position where Edmonton plays Calgary.

I've also posted a standing where the league takes the best 4 teams in each division and they qualify for the playoffs. Which is where I think it will head to in the future.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s really not possible to start the playoffs right away without at least playing a couple more regular season games to get everyone caught up and be at the same amount.

Which is another reason why nothing else will happen and this season is done.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
much more likely to just do it by pts percentage and move to an abbreviated playoffs if they can get on the ice by July and try to wrap up an SCF by end of August.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Season is done. Over. Kaput. Finis.

This guy gets it!

Even if the number of cases have decreased daily over the past week, the league still wouldnt start for atleast a month due to the fear of a second wave... but it's not decreasing at all.. its continually skyrocketting.

I get people wanna stay positive that there could be a season, but unfortunately it isnt happening

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Boston - 98
TB - 92
Toronto - 77
Florida - 76

Metro:
Washingon- 89
Pittsburg - 84
Carolina - 80
NY Islanders- 80
Colombus - 79

Central:

St Louis. 92
Col 91
Dal 82
Nash. 78
Min 77

Pacific:
Edm. 82*. Wins on RW
Vegas 82
Van 78* 3rd based on RW
Cal 78

Boston 100* screw any reset.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
there's an almost zero chance the NHL proceeds with a 16 team playoff without playing more regular season games. Too many teams right on the bubble that would have legitimate claims that they got screwed in the process of all this.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
there's an almost zero chance the NHL proceeds with a 16 team playoff without playing more regular season games. Too many teams right on the bubble that would have legitimate claims that they got screwed in the process of all this.

Agreed, but I don't think there's much of a chance they bring back teams that had no realistic chance of making the playoffs, either. Think about the logistics associated with getting a team up and running again. IF there's any chance of a playoff, I think they'll either expand beyond the typical 16 team format or institute some type of play in system for teams that were close.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Agreed, but I don't think there's much of a chance they bring back teams that had no realistic chance of making the playoffs, either. Think about the logistics associated with getting a team up and running again. IF there's any chance of a playoff, I think they'll either expand beyond the typical 16 team format or institute some type of play in system for teams that were close.
Agreed. I think we are looking at a 20-24 team playoff where the first round is a play in round for the teams on both sides of the bubble.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Agreed. I think we are looking at a 20-24 team playoff where the first round is a play in round for the teams on both sides of the bubble.

I don't really see that happening either. The last things players want to do is go into the playoffs without having stepped on the ice or having played a game for 6 months, so many players would get injured trying to go 110% after doing jack all (compared to a regular season). I don't think my scenario would happen either, but i'd like to see the season go to 72 games, and the teams that have played 72 games will play exhibitions so they all play a total of 4 games before the playoffs.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't really see that happening either. The last things players want to do is go into the playoffs without having stepped on the ice or having played a game for 6 months, so many players would get injured trying to go 110% after doing jack all (compared to a regular season). I don't think my scenario would happen either, but i'd like to see the season go to 72 games, and the teams that have played 72 games will play exhibitions so they all play a total of 4 games before the playoffs.

Wouldn't the same principle apply to bubble teams playing those make up games? Even worse, because for some teams those make up games could be more or less sudden elimination compared to a playoff series.

Regardless of the format that might be chosen to qualify or modify a playoff, I wonder if the NHL would adopt something like a mini 2 game "pre post season" schedule for only those teams still realistically in it?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
what you will see is some kind of training camp/abbreviated exhibition schedule among the teams that are going to be in the new playoff tournament. They aren't just going to jump into games that count.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->