Should the NHL go to Versus and say put some junior hockey games on?

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Junior hockey? I'd go with college. Fans can actually identify with college teams.

They do have Mountain West basketball/football. Maybe they can get a contract with the bigger hockey conferences like the CCHA, WCHA, and Hockey East.

CSTV might have exclusive rights for the regular season though. Friday Night Hockey is probably a big money maker for them.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Yes, yes, and yes. The NHL should be pressuring Versus to turn itself into The Hockey Channel.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I'd agree with the college route. I can't imagine any Americans really wanting to stop and watch Oshawa play Owen Sound, or Acadie-Bathurst vs. Val d'Or or Chilliwack vs. Moose Jaw. However Michigan vs. Michigan State could draw more casual viewers as well as the serious hockey fans just because they might be intrigued by the rivalry and know the two teams playing (as schools, not hockey teams).

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Like ESPN did with Lebron James in high school? Maybe create some interest from seeing players like John Tavares and others.

The problem with that line of thinking is that it was interest in James that put him on TV...there's little to no interest in junior or even college hockey in the states. They could push junior hockey to the point it's all that's on TV but it won't create interest in hockey from new fans. Hell, we've got the NHL on TV and we have issues getting interest from new fans.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I'd agree with the college route. I can't imagine any Americans really wanting to stop and watch Oshawa play Owen Sound, or Acadie-Bathurst vs. Val d'Or or Chilliwack vs. Moose Jaw. However Michigan vs. Michigan State could draw more casual viewers as well as the serious hockey fans just because they might be intrigued by the rivalry and know the two teams playing (as schools, not hockey teams).
I'm pretty sure some of the bigger college hockey programs have their games on TV already on regional FSN channels and Fox College Sports channels. You can get them as an extra tier on cable. Someone who has them would have to confirm.

I'd love to see junior/college hockey on VS, but I doubt that'll happen.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure some of the bigger college hockey programs have their games on TV already on regional FSN channels and Fox College Sports channels. You can get them as an extra tier on cable. Someone who has them would have to confirm.

I'd love to see junior/college hockey on VS, but I doubt that'll happen.

Yeah, Minnesota has a good number of their games on FSN,...I haven't watched much college hockey this year but I know in years past you could usually find at least one if not more college games on every Friday and Saturday night (they play the majority of their games on Friday/Saturday) on CSTV or one of the FSNs... it was a tremendous thing to have during the lockout. Also, I know the Beanpot and Great Lakes Invitational are on as well as the semi’s and finals of at least 3 conference tournaments. If I recall correctly all of the NCAA tournament is on TV as well via FSN and ESPNU with the frozen four being on ESPN/ESPN2.

Tonight there are at least 3 games on if you have the DirecTV regional sports package, I suspect it'd be larger but 2 of those games are on multiple channels.

Like I said, I just don’t think there’s the interest in hockey for the idea to be successful; I wish that there was but it’s hard enough to sell the NHL in the states. This isn’t like college basketball that can be successful because everyone in the country knows and grew up at least shooting hoops (not to mention how many basketball fans hate the NBA), and the office pools come March don’t hurt either. You truly want hockey to take off, find a way for people to bet on it in large numbers. People love to gamble and it certainly has helped the NFL and March Madness, maybe Rick Tocchet will be free when his legal troubles are over?:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
You truly want hockey to take off, find a way for people to bet on it in large numbers.
Bingo! Half the people I know who watch a ton of football watch several games a week just for their picks/pools. People who would otherwise never go near a college b-ball game follow March madness. Gambling is a BIG draw for a lot of sports. Some people treat that like it's a dirty secret, but it's true.

One of our drive time sports radio guys here talks a ton about gambling and is a big hockey fan, but even he doesn't advocate trying to bet on hockey. Much easier to handicap other sports I guess. :dunno:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
SNET had a national game on 2 weeks ago and literally had 9,000 viewers watching from across Canada.

Junior regular season hockey does not draw TV numbers in Canada, it won't in the USA either.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
You're correct. Here in Colorado, we get plenty of University of Denver games on the weekends (Friday and Saturday nights) on FSN-Rocky Mountain. And even on some of the nights when DU isn't on, we'll get coverage of other college hockey, especially other WCHA games. You can watch our games if you have the regional sports pack on DirecTV (and other providers, I imagine).

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Like ESPN did with Lebron James in high school? Maybe create some interest from seeing players like John Tavares and others.

Yeah, Americans from coast to coast are just dying to see some Canadian teenager play a sport they don't care about. :shakehead

Is the NHL going to pay Versus enough money to cover the losses of broadcasting junior games that precicely zero viewers will care about?

skeena1

May 15, 2006
SNET had a national game on 2 weeks ago and literally had 9,000 viewers watching from across Canada.

Junior regular season hockey does not draw TV numbers in Canada, it won't in the USA either.

That game drew 9k because it wa son a tape delay in the West region where most of the interest was. Why they didn't start the game later and have a doubleheader with the Flames game that day we'll never know.

Two weekslater Oshawa-Belleville drew 122k.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I would not watch a kids game. Why on earth would I want to do that?

There is no lack of NHL hockey on TV where I live. I have almost all of the Kings and Ducks. The VS games, the NBC games, The HDNet and some games on the internet. There is tons of NHL on TV. So much that maybe I watch 1/4 of it.

It was 80 degrees today, I went jogging, watched some DVD's played some games, then I watched the Kings vs the Ducks.
I am not watching ****** hockey. If I want to watch that, I will walk down to the ice rink.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004

There is no lack of NHL hockey on TV where I live. I have almost all of the Kings and Ducks. The VS games, the NBC games, The HDNet and some games on the internet. There is tons of NHL on TV. So much that maybe I watch 1/4 of it.

It was 80 degrees today, I went jogging, watched some DVD's played some games, then I watched the Kings vs the Ducks.
I am not watching ****** hockey. If I want to watch that, I will walk down to the ice rink.

I think you're the classic definition of an "NHL" fan as opposed to a hockey fan. Some of the most exciting hockey can be 10 year olds. You're missing out on alot if that's your attitude.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I think you're the classic definition of an "NHL" fan as opposed to a hockey fan. Some of the most exciting hockey can be 10 year olds. You're missing out on alot if that's your attitude.
My attitude?

I am a hockey fan, a player, and a parent.
If I am not going to watch children play a game then why on earth would anybody who is not a fan of the sport watch it?

You are clueless.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
My attitude?

I am a hockey fan, a player, and a parent.
If I am not going to watch children play a game then why on earth would anybody who is not a fan of the sport watch it?

You are clueless.

Yeah, me and the rest of hockey fans.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006

I am not watching ****** hockey. If I want to watch that, I will walk down to the ice rink

There's no such thing as ***** hockey, even the lower level talent parts of hockey are still good watches.

As for the 80 degrees thing, it might be in So. California but it's below freezing in large parts of the country right now and it's not uncommon for people to get snowed in for a day+. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have as much hockey on as possible to get new fans introduced to it.

And for reasons of why you'd want to watch this: because it's hockey, that IMO is enough, and to scout your teams prospects, which right now can only be done with college hockey/AHL in the states (as far as I'm aware, there may be areas that get juniors on TV). I'm sure there are others but those are the two reasons I'd watch.

Of course, I still think on the whole junior hockey won't help but it can't be a bad thing at the very least.

letsgoflyers75

Aug 11, 2004
www.bluelinehockey.net
which right now can only be done with college hockey/AHL in the states (as far as I'm aware, there may be areas that get juniors on TV). I'm sure there are others but those are the two reasons I'd watch.

I live in Northeast and I don't even get college hockey on TV. I only get an odd game here or there of college or the AHL. Nothing regular. Granted, the closest NCAA team to me is Princeton or Army or Sacred Heart or some small team like that, but still. I doubt most of the country gets anything but the NHL.

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If there is ever a talent that comes along who is as dominant as Lebron was, or Crosby was, then yeah I think so.

The WJC on Satellite are the closest thing to that type of viewing other than NCAA Hockey, and when / if the time comes where there is a high talent like that, Versus should take on a game.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Pool your money, get the equipment and you guys go put the game on the internet.

I will watch and support you 100%.

Charge people to watch it so you can make money.

EDIT: Or get Advertisers to run commercials.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I live in Northeast and I don't even get college hockey on TV. I only get an odd game here or there of college or the AHL. Nothing regular. Granted, the closest NCAA team to me is Princeton or Army or Sacred Heart or some small team like that, but still. I doubt most of the country gets anything but the NHL.

College hockey coverage is fairly hit or miss based mostly on regional sports networks... CSTV has some games ESPNU carries some of the NCAA tournament, maybe regular season as well. Regionaly NESN and Fox Sports: Detroit, North and Rocky Mountain (Though that might be their new sports network, I'm not sure) all carry games. I get these networks on DirecTV (for an extra 10-12 dollars) but my guess is about 80% of the country couldn't watch college hockey without a dish.

It's really a shame because the final of the Beanpot was some good hockey as are most college games on TV (the top teams against the lesser teams gets ugly in a hurry, at least when I watch) and would help get people interested in hockey assuming we could figure out a way to get non hockey fans to watch in the first place.

I still say though that to really take off it will take large numbers of people betting on the sport. It may not be the most popular idea but it sure worked for the NFL and March Madness.

letsgoflyers75

Aug 11, 2004
www.bluelinehockey.net
Yeah, I have Comcast Digital. With the sports package, I still don't even have the choice of picking up ESPNU or CSTV. We do get Fox College Sports, though. CN8 shows some college games, and on occasion an AHL game, and Comcast SportsNet out of Philly shows a few Phantoms games a year.

EDIT: Wait a sec. After typing that, I went and checked the channels. We do get CSTV with the sports package now! Ah, that just made my night. It must've just been added, what a pleasant surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->