Should the NHL do away with defensive stats?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would like the giveaway and takeaway stats to be separated by zones. I love those stats for D evaluation but offensive zone giveaways aren't a big deal and often creative players trying things. Gretzky was probably the giveaway king but was a great possession player when it mattered

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Faceoff win % = offensive stat and good

Faceoff loss % = defensive stat and bad, like the devil or Vicki Valencourt

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Defence is cool , somebody's gotta stop all these 5'11 ballerinas out there!!!

The disrespect for NHL defensive play on here is crazy
Agreed. It's gotten to the point we have players who are so terrible in their own zone that they belong in the AHL being floated as Norris candidates.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Agreed. It's gotten to the point we have players who are so terrible in their own zone that they belong in the AHL being floated as Norris candidates.
Nah would you rather have a bunch of Ben Chiarots and Karl Alzners getting coned left and right on every play because they can't hook slash and crosscheck? Blame the rules instead of hating on the players who thrive in the new NHL. Nice little biased jab you got in but its in the wrong thread , and quite frankly , pathetic

Reactions: DaveG

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Nah would you rather have a bunch of Ben Chiarots and Karl Alzners getting coned left and right on every play because they can't hook slash and crosscheck? Blame the rules instead of hating on the players who thrive in the new NHL. Nice little biased jab you got in but its in the wrong thread , and quite frankly , pathetic
Defencemen who can't play defence don't thrive in any league. I'd much rather have a Chiarot or an Alzner over a guy like Rielly, Bouchard, Barrie, or DeAngelo.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
This feels like when I tell my wife I think they should
Things that come to mind are +/-, shots blocked, offensive vs defensive zone shifts, hits, stickchecks, pass blocked, goals against vs goals for...

No one really cares about defensive metrics anymore; most of the major awards are about points these days (Selke, Norris, Calder) without really any defensive measures thrown in. When was the last time a good defensive-defenseman was up for a Selke like Slavin or Tanev or Brodin? They might get one or two votes, but never in the top 3. Slavin got close with a top 5 vote.

Jackman was really the last defensive defenseman that won the Calder and was in the top 3 of voting.

Most people don't care if a center is good at defense either.

This may blow your mind, but stats are used for stuff other than awards voting.

What a weird take that "most people don't care if a center is good at defense" either, what does that statement even mean? They get less attention? Sure, offense is glamorized, that's not news in pro sports though.

Even casual fans would want their centers to be good at defense, go poll 100 fans and ask them "would you prefer your centers to be good, bad, or you don't care" and I'd be shocked if more than one or two jaded clowns answered "don't care."

What fans are like "yeah sure, give me a guy with Zach Aston Reece levels of defense over Kopitar, who cares?"

This thread is a really weird, awful take to do away with stats.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Defencemen who can't play defence don't thrive in any league. I'd much rather have a Chiarot or an Alzner over a guy like Rielly, Bouchard, Barrie, or DeAngelo.

What a sad, old man opinion.

hOcKeY iS nOt SuPpOsEd To Be FuN!##!!#

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Things that come to mind are +/-, shots blocked, offensive vs defensive zone shifts, hits, stickchecks, pass blocked, goals against vs goals for...

No one really cares about defensive metrics anymore; most of the major awards are about points these days (Selke, Norris, Calder) without really any defensive measures thrown in. When was the last time a good defensive-defenseman was up for a Selke like Slavin or Tanev or Brodin? They might get one or two votes, but never in the top 3. Slavin got close with a top 5 vote.

Jackman was really the last defensive defenseman that won the Calder and was in the top 3 of voting.

Most people don't care if a center is good at defense either.

“No one really cares about defensive metrics anymore”

At what specific time in the past did people care about “defensive metrics” more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad