Should the NHL consider the 2021 All Star Game as an opening event for the renovated Key Arena?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Given the circumstances of the year delay, I think having the 2021 ASG in Seattle would be a wonderful way of starting the NHL era in Seattle.

My understanding is they will know in 12 months what the construction timeline will be. Late January 2021 could be a realistic target date and whet the appetite for what is to come.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Just brought this up and was told that bids have already been made for 2021... not sure if that means Seattle can or can not make a case. Received a pretty political answer from the league.

What a way to enter the league though. Hopefully you are not the first to think of that.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just brought this up and was told that bids have already been made for 2021... not sure if that means Seattle can or can not make a case. Received a pretty political answer from the league.

What a way to enter the league though. Hopefully you are not the first to think of that.

Each owner will be getting a check for 21 million from Seattle - that should help the process.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I think they should hold the awards ceremony in Seattle in 2021, and of course expansion draft as part of that. AFAIK they have contract with Las Vegas on that until 2020.

If NHL wants to have Las Vegas as part of league events, they could hold Entry Draft in 2021.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The awards ceremony isn’t really something to generate buzz though.

I agree the all-star game would be a great way to kick things off. If it can be pulled off, it would definitely help to keep people excited

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
I'd say no. Part of the fun of the All Star game is rooting for a player on the team you support. At this point we have no players. That being said it might be a fun thing to go for in the first couple years of the team.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
A) No.
B) All people do is ***** about how the AS game sucks. So this is going to "whet the appetite" of people out there?
I believe it would actually. We are NHL hockey starved here in Seattle. We are hungry for NHL action. I would love to see the all star game here that year. I think it would be a HUGE success.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
People whine about it, but then it’s still a huge party with great attendance. People just like to complain.
True enough.

Something else since I posted that is a Seattle fan said they'd love it.

So, okay, go ahead.

Where it is doesn't really matter to me anyway.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I haven’t seen any pictures of on going renovations. Did they start the physical work or are they still not doing anything and taking care of paperwork?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I haven’t seen any pictures of on going renovations. Did they start the physical work or are they still not doing anything and taking care of paperwork?
I drove by yesterday, doesn't look like anything's happening just looking through the windows.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Still doing pre-demolish work. They slowed down the pace a bit especially with the viaduct shutting down permanently this weekend. See the pinned thread for arena construction status updates as they come out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->