Should the NHL "asterisk" the 80's Oilers Cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I guess you feel the same way about Keenan who made the same argument recently.

Why dont you go back and see who the Oilers played in the playoffs every year? It was a guaranteed Finals slot for them. You cant go on points because it wasnt a balanced league. The fLames werent exactly a top tier team with that D and Joel Otto etc at Forward. Or you mean the Jets with Pokey Reddick, Steve Penney or Bandit Berthiaume in nets? Never mind the Hawks or Blues. Yeah that was quite a Conference.

Did you find it a bit disconcerting, dog Bless Canada, that Dr Randy Gregg skated rings around Ray Bourque or Mark Howe in the playoffs? care to guess why?

Any of the top 6 east teams were better than the OIlers and Flames.

Oh and bring back Donair Bucky:

Just being honest and I'm not even bringing up the Sports Illustrated article (and mentioned in Messiers book)....wow what a team that was if all those devastating allegations were true...:dunno:
Care to look it up? :dunno: :dunno:
You mean Keenans quote? Meh, history is full of "I wish" and "what if".

Kind of funny that those top 6 east teams lost, huh? Kind of funny since you rarely watched the Flames and Oilers back then.

Since I'm a homer, can I say that the Oilers were a better team than Caralina this last year, and if not for injuries, the Oilers would have won, so Caralina's win should have an asterix. Same argument, but even though I'm an Oiler fan, I'll admit thats ********.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I guess you feel the same way about Keenan who made the same argument recently.

Why dont you go back and see who the Oilers played in the playoffs every year? It was a guaranteed Finals slot for them. You cant go on points because it wasnt a balanced league. The fLames werent exactly a top tier team with that D and Joel Otto etc at Forward. Or you mean the Jets with Pokey Reddick, Steve Penney or Bandit Berthiaume in nets? Never mind the Hawks or Blues. Yeah that was quite a Conference.

Did you find it a bit disconcerting, dog Bless Canada, that Dr Randy Gregg skated rings around Ray Bourque or Mark Howe in the playoffs? care to guess why?

Any of the top 6 east teams were better than the OIlers and Flames.

Oh and bring back Donair Bucky:

Just being honest and I'm not even bringing up the Sports Illustrated article (and mentioned in Messiers book)....wow what a team that was if all those devastating allegations were true...:dunno:
Care to look it up? :dunno: :dunno:

Allegations shmallegations, at least none of those lads will need to pimp erectile dysfunction or baldness tonics to pay for their vices.

Ogopogo*

Its clear as pneps research has showed that the East team in the Finals had a distinct disadvantage against the Oilers who fairly breezed through to the finals in their Cup years in the 80's. Its akin to the Blues being guaranteed a place in the Finals in the 60's. What if they'd won?

We see the Flyers for instance being beat up and destroyed and injured in 87 by the time they reached the finals and still taking the well rested and healthy Oilers to 7 games.

We see the inordinate days off before the finals the OIlers always had because of the easy road in the West. Like before they played the Islanders in 84. Thats why they won not becasue they had "learned to win" or some other nonsense. Meanwhile the Isles had to hack through 3 tough rounds - remember v. Habs how the teams tried to kill each other - even Gainey went after Potvins knees and he was gone for a few days and wasnt the same the rest of the playoffs.

Keenan said recently referring to their 85 team who also lost to those same Oilers - "I wish we could have played them healthy (Kerr etc hurt)".

Well you couldnt have Mike, because the odds were stacked against you in the East while the OIlers were sailing through teams like the 85 Hawks scoring 44 goals in 12-9 joke playoff wins.

You were banged and tired by the time you got to the Finals - I recall the tough road the Habs had in 86 and then they destroyed a weak Flamers team which had knocked off 99's Oilers. Its high time an asterisk was placed next to the Oilers Dynasty "accomplishments" same as for Bonds.

Well- Researched comments only.

Well choocher, if we are going to put asterisks next to Stanley Cup wins, I think we should start with the Canadiens wins prior to 1969. They were allowed to scoop all players produced in the province of Quebec so, American teams and the Leafs had no shot at getting them. The Habs build their teams on unfair trade practices.

When you look back at the Oilers cup wins, it was not the peewee tournament that you describe.

In 83-84, the average team the Oilers faced in the playoffs, prior to the finals, had 81 points during the regular season. Their finals opponents, the Islanders, faced an average opponent of 89.67.

In 84-85 the Oilers faced an average opponent of 87 points, the Flyers faced an average opponent of 79.67.

In 86-87, the Oilers faced 78.67 and the Flyers faced 83.33.

In 87-88 the Oilers faced 91.67 and the Bruins faced 90.

In 89-90 the Oilers were up against 82.67 and the Bruins were up against 85.33.

Looking at these numbers, twice in five cup runs, the Oilers faced BETTER competition than did their Wales conference rivals - including 84-85 where the Oilers faced SIGNIFICANTLY better opponents in the Kings (82 points), the Jets (96 points) and the Blackhawks (83 points). The Flyers faced the Rangers (62 points), the Islanders (86) and Quebec (91).

So, your argument is false, chooch. Try again next time and bring some real evidence to your arguments.

And remember, the Oilers were just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->