Line Combos: Should the Leafs run 11F - 7D this season

Should the Leafs run 11F - 7D this season

• Yes they should do this regularly with a healthy roster

• They should definitely do it on some nights

• Never. It should always be 12F - 6D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Of course it serves a purpose. The whole reason teams moved away from multiple defensemen on the powerplay is because forwards are generally better at generating offense and finishing, and that's more important than defense in a game state that's all about pushing for offense.

With our main PP defender injured, and our secondary PP defender not clicking very well with the top unit, I don't see the issue with trying this out, especially in a regular season situation where we are down and need a goal.
You could probably make the same argument for having 4 D on a PK. You cannot do that and Keefe's experiment is almost expired.

In a game pushing for offense why not play 6 skaters (new position called Rovers - I just invented it), all wingers, and no goalie.

You make it seem as though it's simple: "if team A scores more goals than team B then then team A wins." An over-simplication, but not exactly the full story is it?

You must know from your playing days what things were like. Quite often the team's best player played center. Then as that player went on in their career they were no longer the big fish in a small pond. They had to adapt and play wing or defense. You're telling me that they lose their ability to generate offense? How is it that an NHL Dman can generate offence at 5 on 5, but cannot with the man advantage?

In conclusion I would like to say that Keefe should start playing Brodie on the PP1. Enough of this nonsense playing 5 or 4 forwards.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't know where to start this discussion, but I really dislike Keefe putting 5 forwards on the power play.

It serves no purpose. A lot great teams in the past used 2 Defensemen on the point. How bad could that be?

Can you imagine if I proposed the idea that Keefe play 5 Defensemen on the PP?!?!

WTF Keefe. Stop this!

A lot (maybe even the majority) of teams play 4f on the PP now. Suggesting 5 dmen on the PP is the same is absurd...

"A lot of great teams in the past did xyz" is also not a good argument since the game is always evolving.

Im not saying 5 forwards is the solution, but this was literally 1 game and with Sandin not clicking (and Rielly out), our dmen options for the PP are not great.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
You could probably make the same argument for having 4 D on a PK. You cannot do that and Keefe's experiment is almost expired.

In a game pushing for offense why not play 6 skaters (new position called Rovers - I just invented it), all wingers, and no goalie.

You make it seem as though it's simple: "if team A scores more goals than team B then then team A wins." An over-simplication, but not exactly the full story is it?

You must know from your playing days what things were like. Quite often the team's best player played center. Then as that player went on in their career they were no longer the big fish in a small pond. They had to adapt and play wing or defense. You're telling me that they lose their ability to generate offense? How is it that an NHL Dman can generate offence at 5 on 5, but cannot with the man advantage?

In conclusion I would like to say that Keefe should start playing Brodie on the PP1. Enough of this nonsense playing 5 or 4 forwards.

If "6 Rovers" would score more than the opposing team, I'd be all for it. Spoiler alert, it wont.

At the end of the day, it is as simple as outscore your opponent. Whether that's by playing great defense or having a great offense (it's both fyi).

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You could probably make the same argument for having 4 D on a PK.
I mean, not really. Forwards have a pretty different role than defensemen on the PK, and they'd have more experience pressuring the points. You'd also want a center out there at all times to take faceoffs, which are fairly important on the PK. A defenseman's not really doing anything on the PP that a forward wouldn't have similar experience doing.
That sounds an awful lot like pulling the goalie for an extra skater (you know, that thing that happens all the time). You don't see it outside of those situations because, unlike 5 forwards on the PP, the risk increase outweighs the reward increase.
You make it seem as though it's simple: "if team A scores more goals than team B then then team A wins."
That's quite literally the game.
Quite often the team's best player played center. Then as that player went on in their career they were no longer the big fish in a small pond. They had to adapt and play wing or defense. You're telling me that they lose their ability to generate offense? How is it that an NHL Dman can generate offence at 5 on 5, but cannot with the man advantage?
...what? Defensemen aren't just old centers... Nobody said defensemen can't generate offense, but forwards tend to be better at it and have better finishing ability. Not sure why you're making a big deal out of trying a pretty minor, reasonable thing out in the regular season, especially when our primary PP defenseman is injured and our secondary PP defenseman isn't clicking with the top unit.
In conclusion I would like to say that Keefe should start playing Brodie on the PP1.
Brodie is probably the last person we should put there. He's a defensive defenseman who we want to keep fresh for 5v5 and PK.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If "6 Rovers" would score more than the opposing team, I'd be all for it. Spoiler alert, it wont.

At the end of the day, it is as simple as outscore your opponent. Whether that's by playing great defense or having a great offense (it's both fyi).
You're so full of certainty that it reminds me of teenagers.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I mean, not really. Forwards have a pretty different role than defensemen on the PK, and they'd have more experience pressuring the points. You'd also want a center out there at all times to take faceoffs, which are fairly important on the PK. A defenseman's not really doing anything on the PP that a forward wouldn't have similar experience doing.

That sounds an awful lot like pulling the goalie for an extra skater (you know, that thing that happens all the time). You don't see it outside of those situations because, unlike 5 forwards on the PP, the risk increase outweighs the reward increase.

...what? Defensemen aren't just old centers... Nobody said defensemen can't generate offense, but forwards tend to be better at it and have better finishing ability. Not sure why you're making a big deal out of trying a pretty minor, reasonable thing out in the regular season, especially when our primary PP defenseman is injured and our secondary PP defenseman isn't clicking with the top unit.

Brodie is probably the last person we should put there. He's a defensive defenseman who we want to keep fresh for 5v5 and PK.
I heard him say it today on a podcast:

"I'm not a fan of the 5 forwards"

-Gord Stellick 2022

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I heard Kypreos say: "playing 5 forwards on the PP means only 1 thing for Keefe: 'i don't like the 6 defenseman we have playing right now'."

Very risky. They could turn on him.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
The only way 7D makes sense is if you double shift one of the big 4 on the third or 4th line

That's what the oilers did with mcdavid

The issue for that with us is the 4th line is designed right now to be as Low event as possible so I don't know what benefit it gives you

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I heard Kypreos say: "playing 5 forwards on the PP means only 1 thing for Keefe: 'i don't like the 6 defenseman we have playing right now'."
Kypreos has no idea what he's talking about. Occasionally using a more offensive setup when we need offense while the normal PP guy is out doesn't mean he doesn't like his defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00