Should the leafs consider trading Morgan Rielly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Rielly's a great player and a borderline 1D as a 24 year old. He finally had his offensive breakout this season as well. He also seems like a player who is absolutely loved by managers and coaches league wide. Bergevin famously complained that PK Subban wasn't enough like Rielly. MacLellan used him on the top pair during the World Cup and Babcock uses him in the toughest minutes similar to how Vlasic or Hjalmarsson are used.

So, should the leafs consider trading this highly valued, maybe even overvalued, asset to either fill the RHD hole or maybe even add undervalued assets in return.

A couple of prospective trades that I've been thinking about.

1. Edmonton gets Rielly for Klefbom and the 10th overall pick. This is based on the rumour of a Ristolainen for Klefbom + 10th trade.

2. Vancouver gets Rielly + a 2nd/3rd round pick for Tanev and the 7th overall pick.

3. Winnipeg gets Rielly for Trouba and a 2nd round pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly's a great player and a borderline 1D as a 24 year old. He finally had his offensive breakout this season as well. He also seems like a player who is absolutely loved by managers and coaches league wide. Bergevin famously complained that PK Subban wasn't enough like Rielly. MacLellan used him on the top pair during the World Cup and Babcock uses him in the toughest minutes similar to how Vlasic or Hjalmarsson are used.

So, should the leafs consider trading this highly valued, maybe even overvalued, asset to either fill the RHD hole or maybe even add undervalued assets in return.

A couple of prospective trades that I've been thinking about.

1. Edmonton gets Rielly for Klefbom and the 10th overall pick. This is based on the rumour of a Ristolainen for Klefbom + 10th trade.

2. Vancouver gets Rielly + a 2nd/3rd round pick for Tanev and the 7th overall pick.

3. Winnipeg gets Rielly for Trouba and a 2nd round pick.

Why would the Tanev and 7th require a sweetener from the Leafs?

Klefbom and Dobson would be a nice addition to the defense, but then we'd be looking for a Rielly.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Fits the age group, fits cap wise, is a top LD.
Nope, can't see a good reason unless it's a massive overpayment.

Reactions: Buds17

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs have three good players at LHD. I think they need to consider moving one of them to fill deficiencies elsewhere.
what happens if Gardiner moves on at the end of his contract and Dermott doesn't pan out in tougher minutes? Moving Rielly does literally nothing to help our defense, and likely makes it worse. A massive change for the sake of it is pointless

Reactions: blueberrie

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There's quantity at LD, but it's tough to be certain that the quality is currently where it should be to move any one of the current top 3.

Rielly would bring back a nice return for the same reason it'd be wise to keep him (really good player on a really good contract), but the cost might be putting one or more of the team's d-men above where they should be in the lineup too soon.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
can we stop making moves for [insert all the bad words] Christopher Tanev?

N.O.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
in response to the question. i would be open to moving Rielly (as i would be open to moving any player who isn't named Auston Matthews), but i don't think those players would be the ones i'd target

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Dubas will consider every single option to improve the team, always! But that doesn't start with Rielly. He's the last person we should be trading right now, especially with you saying
He finally had his offensive breakout this season as well. He also seems like a player who is absolutely loved by managers and coaches league wide.
- too many unknowns right now, like others are mentioning. Dermott could step back..Gardiner may leave...etc. So...NO to trading Rielly.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If we trade Rielly we're immediately looking for his replacement. Dermott is awesome but that just means that we have depth. There are a million other ways to fill the RHD need before it comes to trading Rielly. Honestly, it would be better to trade Nylander before we trade Rielly, and I would rather gnaw off my own arm before trading Nylander.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No. He's cost controlled throughout his prime, and has bloomed into a top-10 offensive and top-20 defensive defenseman in hockey.

Other than Matthews, he's arguably our most valuable player; and instead of trading him, we should be trying to find him a partner.

Btw those trades are all garbage.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No.

The guy is beloved by the team and the backroom staff. Probably the most likable and down to earth guy on the roster. You only move him if you are getting Doughty or Karlsson. You don't trade him as the best piece.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
How is this thread not entitled "Should the Leafs Consider Moving Jake Gardiner?"

The answer would be "Yes", and the discussion would be much more prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->