• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I assumed a little over 4% each year after this one. We are still within spitting distance of the cap. Fortunately there isn't likely much bonus to worry about in '20. There might be more in '21.

I used caps of 80, 83.5 and 87 mil for those years. It might go up more than that but it also might go up less. In part it depends on how much the PA uses of their 5%. If they use it all, as they usually have done the cap might go up a little more. But I don't think that it would be prudent to plan on it going up more than 12 mil in 3 years.

In that third year ('21), Morrissey's bridge has expired. The next year Connor's expires and the year after that it is Roslovic's. Those new contracts could continue to eat up all the cap rise, plus there are lesser players whose contracts will come up for renewal.

Kulikov's expiring after the '20 season is accounted for but then Niku's bridge kicks in. The good news is that both MP (if he is still here) and Buff expire after that '21 season.

I think it gets a little easier at that point for a little while but not too long. That cap space will have to be used to replace aging players. Then it is only a couple of years until some of these long term contracts to younger players start to expire, one by one.

The only major kicker here is it's going to be tough to bridge everyone but Laine from this point on.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Stastny is a rental (I hope I’m wrong) but I just don’t see how Chevy can keep him with all the RFA’s in the pipeline due for a pay raise (Laine, Connor, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Lowry, Armia, Roslo).

Hopefully this is the start of the Jets being a perennial contender. TDL pickup will be a yearly thing for us in the next 5-10 years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be surprised if Myers got that much, but maybe. I find his number hard to judge. I don't think we can use his current AAV as a starting point because that comes from that weird, front loaded deal he signed with Buffalo. I was thinking in the 3.5 range prior to this season. His rediscovered offense plus an 82 game season will have boosted that number quite a bit. Now, I'm thinking 5-5.5, but who knows?

The thing that would really concerns me would be term. I expect he would get at least 4, probably 5 years, maybe 6. Would 5x5.2 be a good guess for him in UFA? I think that would be close. I don't think I would want to give him that deal - and he might get more.

Whatever the numbers turn out to be, if they are more than Chevy could or should go, then we should only think of having him 1 more year. Is he enough of a difference maker that we should keep him for that year? Or should we sell high and move him regardless of what Trouba does? I liked Myers on our 3rd pair this year. I think that his Dzone play was exposed when he played higher up. Am I wrong?

I hate to think of our RD with both of them gone but Trouba leaving is the big impact. If Trouba gets moved then the return really has to address RHD, one way or another.

He'll get overpayed in FA for sure. He'll also be able to pick a team that can guarantee him top 4 minutes, in many cases 1RD minutes. He'll get Shattenkirk money. Zero doubt in my mind.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Stastny is a rental (I hope I’m wrong) but I just don’t see how Chevy can keep him with all the RFA’s in the pipeline due for a pay raise (Laine, Connor, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Lowry, Armia, Roslo).

Hopefully this is the start of the Jets being a perennial contender. TDL pickup will be a yearly thing for us in the next 5-10 years.
We can't give up our 1st every year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He'll get overpayed in FA for sure. He'll also be able to pick a team that can guarantee him top 4 minutes, in many cases 1RD minutes. He'll get Shattenkirk money. Zero doubt in my mind.
So then it's better to trade him before he walks for free.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So then it's better to trade him before he walks for free.

That's my view. He saves us cap and we retain some assets for him. I think it's pretty likely he could fetch a 1st + B prospect. Or a 1st + a replacement level player to challenge for 3RD spot on the roster.

There are a couple teams that could use him. Leafs are pretty barren on the right side. Lilly needs at least another year in the AHL before he's ready. Arizona is likely looking to acquire some defencemen, hard to say if he signs there though. Vancouver may want a righty to help anchor their pairings. Edmonton you never know what Chiarelli will do.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd move Perrault for Stas in a heartbeat. It would be a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.id also move kuli if his health allowed us to find a deal for him where we just need to throw in a 3rd round pick.

Fair enough, but it isn't just that simple. Even without MP we would have to find a little more cap room even before we replace MP at LW.

I hope Kuli is back healthy next year. I don't like our LD with Morrissey plus 2 of Chiarot, Morrow and Niku. I'm just putting 2+2 together but I don't thenk Toby will be back. We might be able to trade for a 2LD if Kuli is gone but they are hard to find and don't come cheaply.

I'd hate to have to pay someone to take him off our hands.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Fair enough, but it isn't just that simple. Even without MP we would have to find a little more cap room even before we replace MP at LW.

I hope Kuli is back healthy next year. I don't like our LD with Morrissey plus 2 of Chiarot, Morrow and Niku. I'm just putting 2+2 together but I don't thenk Toby will be back. We might be able to trade for a 2LD if Kuli is gone but they are hard to find and don't come cheaply.

I'd hate to have to pay someone to take him off our hands.
Easier to find then a 1LD. He could also be a 4/5 player because we have Buff. I thought everyone was super confident in Niku next season. Perrault is on the 3rd LW. Stas completes Ehlers and Laine. I would much rather had these playoffs without Perrault than Stas. Roslo may not be a 2C but we could play him as a 3lw without losing as much as we lose with ELL.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I can't dispute that but if you are correct then we clearly can't keep him more than 1 year, IMO. We should sell high while we can. Sell him to Chiarelli for 10 OA and draft his replacement.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I can't dispute that but if you are correct then we clearly can't keep him more than 1 year, IMO. We should sell high while we can. Sell him to Chiarelli for 10 OA and draft his replacement.
Myers value will be especially high if we make it to, or win the cup.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

That is what I thought about Stanford 2 seasons ago and Little last season(they didn’t pull the trigger while they where worth much though). This is a perfect scenario now that we are winning, we get to keep Stastny and we can potentially pick up his replacement.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Easier to find then a 1LD. He could also be a 4/5 player because we have Buff. I thought everyone was super confident in Niku next season. Perrault is on the 3rd LW. Stas completes Ehlers and Laine. I would much rather had these playoffs without Perrault than Stas. Roslo may not be a 2C but we could play him as a 3lw without losing as much as we lose with ELL.

Sorry but I find this post a little hard to follow. What's easier than a 1LD?

There is a lot of confidence in Niku for next year. I don't have a problem with Morrissey, Kuli, Niku. That is a lot better than Morrissey, Chiarot, Niku. I don't think the Niku confidence extends to him playing top 4, although I guess that is possible.

My point about moving Perreault not getting the job done was not about choosing MP over Stas. It was that we are still about 1.5 mil over the cap. And we take a hit at LW. We could cope with the hit at LW. But where do you propose coming up with another 1.5 mil? Its already pretty tight.

I think Chevy just might be able to do that. I'm not sure where but he probably could. What would be the price though? And then what happens if Stas falls off a cliff after 2 more seasons?

I didn't say it wasn't possible. Only that it isn't just as simple as saying Perreault out/Stas in.

Maybe if Chevy can juggle the numbers and keep Stas we go with Scheif, Stas, Lowry, Copp down the middle and Little plays LW. That could work well. Rosie plays RW and Armia gets moved to save a few more bucks. It could be done - but it is complicated. In another year or two Vesalainen is able to take over that LW spot. Lots of moving pieces. Lots of possibilities.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is what I thought about Stanford 2 seasons ago and Little last season(they didn’t pull the trigger while they where worth much though). This is a perfect scenario now that we are winning, we get to keep Stastny and we can potentially pick up his replacement.

If we draft a Myers replacement we have to assume he won't be ready for a couple of years though. If Trouba signs long term that should be OK. If he gets moved, the return should include help at RD but again, we have to wait for futures to develop.

It is risky at best and we have to live with the wait time. It still may be the best way to go though.

Reactions: GNP

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If we draft a Myers replacement we have to assume he won't be ready for a couple of years though. If Trouba signs long term that should be OK. If he gets moved, the return should include help at RD but again, we have to wait for futures to develop.

It is risky at best and we have to live with the wait time. It still may be the best way to go though.

10OA gets us a shot at a likely Buff replacement in my mind. Impossible guy to replace but a draft like this would have it. Likely 3 years away on average.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sorry but I find this post a little hard to follow. What's easier than a 1LD?

There is a lot of confidence in Niku for next year. I don't have a problem with Morrissey, Kuli, Niku. That is a lot better than Morrissey, Chiarot, Niku. I don't think the Niku confidence extends to him playing top 4, although I guess that is possible.

My point about moving Perreault not getting the job done was not about choosing MP over Stas. It was that we are still about 1.5 mil over the cap. And we take a hit at LW. We could cope with the hit at LW. But where do you propose coming up with another 1.5 mil? Its already pretty tight.

I think Chevy just might be able to do that. I'm not sure where but he probably could. What would be the price though? And then what happens if Stas falls off a cliff after 2 more seasons?

I didn't say it wasn't possible. Only that it isn't just as simple as saying Perreault out/Stas in.

Maybe if Chevy can juggle the numbers and keep Stas we go with Scheif, Stas, Lowry, Copp down the middle and Little plays LW. That could work well. Rosie plays RW and Armia gets moved to save a few more bucks. It could be done - but it is complicated. In another year or two Vesalainen is able to take over that LW spot. Lots of moving pieces. Lots of possibilities.
It's easier to find a 2LD than it is a 1LD. In regards to the rest you are probably right.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
10OA gets us a shot at a likely Buff replacement in my mind. Impossible guy to replace but a draft like this would have it. Likely 3 years away on average.

Yes. I'm being a little conservative because ..... draft picks.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
If we sign him for three years, we would expose him to Seattle but they probably wouldn't bite because of his age.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I'm skeptical of Statsny sticking around, players in his position want to get paid big bucks and term. On the other hand he has been overpaid for a while now so maybe he just wants to win and doesn't care about $$.

Getting Laine for 8 x 8 would mean Scheif and Laine are locked up for almost a decade at 14 million $ cap hit. Compare that to McDavid and Drai at 20 million. That Scheif contract is amazing.

Reactions: Halberdier

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Voted for the under 4,5m deal even though that's not my first option, but rather a safety net for not having to witness another season of ELL, which by all standards is one of the worst possible combinations available and yet at the same time while knowing Maurice and his habits, most likely the only avenue w/o Stastny. Not that I wouldn't like signing Stastny but the organization already shot themselves in the foot with the Little deal (there's noway to trade him without giving up assets) and I doubt they can keep both. I'd like to see Roslovic replace Stastny once he leaves and for real, at least it cannot be worse than seeing reunion of ELL, but since Maurice sort of forgot to test Roslo in the middle this season I just cannot see him placed there from the gates come 18-19.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It will take some additional move or moves, but I think Chevy can get it done.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
While there is no doubt that Stastny has played very well during his short stint with the Jets i am a little perplexed with the big push to resign him. Over the last three seasons Stastny's stats are very similar to Bryan Littles and Stastny is two years older. Little may not have had as good a year as Stastny this year but I personally think he will bounce back next year. With the salary cap crunch coming in 2 years do we really need another 30 something player on a long term contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad