• Yes, buit for 1 year only at $ 5 mil tops

• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Don't these playoffs finally show that Laine is not worth $9.5 million? A winger that can't carry the puck through the neutral zone or gain the blue line without turning it over, or win puck battles in the corner, isn't a player worth paying like a top 10 skater. That contract would sink this team for years.

Maybe the Jets are smart enough to see this and will have more cap room then some are projecting. Not sure if it's enough to sign Stastny though.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't these playoffs finally show that Laine is not worth $9.5 million? A winger that can't carry the puck through the neutral zone or gain the blue line without turning it over, or win puck battles in the corner, isn't a player worth paying like a top 10 skater. That contract would sink this team for years.

Maybe the Jets are smart enough to see this and will have more cap room then some are projecting. Not sure if it's enough to sign Stastny though.

Your right Redbar --Laine is a very limited player right now !!! very limited !!! All he really has is a good shot, but "cannot" drive the play like you say. I hope we don't sign him for to much ??--although he will always be good to score.

We have to remember he did this at 18 years old--maybe when he matures --he'll be able to handle the puck "properly." We could end up getting in to deep with Laine--we don't know his true upside yet--we'll be gambling on it.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Really good work on those numbers Mort-- and yikes their "high". I'll have to study your chart a bit--great work though Mort :)

Doesn't look like we can afford Stastny !!! I think Mason gets bought out or traded before next year though.

I'd like to see Mason moved - although I expect a bounce back from him next year. :crossfing But, a buyout doesn't help much because he needs to be replaced anyway. It just prolongs the pain. I think a trade is just about impossible unless we retain near the max and probably not even then. Who would want to pay him 2 mil + after the season he just had? In that case, again it doesn't help much, if at all.

Unless someone makes a surprise offer to take him off our hands the best thing is probably to let his contract run. It is only 1 year and it is the year prior to the real crunch coming.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It will be a tough time for the Jets but if we want Stastny some big moves will have to be made. I also feel like once Trouba and MoJo are signed that we will have far to much cap on the books for dmen.

Agree with this post - except - a) Mason is as close to an immovable contract as there is. b) All the steps you are advocating still only allow us to sign Stastny for 1 year and then only if he gives us a team friendly deal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree with this post - except - a) Mason is as close to an immovable contract as there is. b) All the steps you are advocating still only allow us to sign Stastny for 1 year and then only if he gives us a team friendly deal.

If Myers and Mason are moved we can afford him for two seasons. After that more guys would need to be moved. Of course that would all depend on what he signs for. There may be some teams interested in acquiring Mason. But it likely won't be until he is healthy and plays some games.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I could see Roslovic easily replacing him if he were to walk, I think come next year Roslovic will bring on a great 2C role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Well you could be right--I guess we'll see what Chevy does, and how this all plays out--it will be interesting, and even moreso if the Jets win the Stanley Cup.

I personally like Myers and would like to keep him, but I know about 50 % of the panel here, would like to trade him. I believe Chevy will do what's best for the club, and will have to take into consideration what the player wants to do as well. May get pretty complicated.

If I was Chevy and could get Ryan Nugent Hopkins for Myers--I'd think about that long and hard--especially if Trouba wants to sign here.

I do think we'll have Trouba and Myers both for next season-- at least--we'll see ??

RNH for Myers would be another Chiarelli deal in the Reinhart for Barzal + category. Not quite that lopsided but getting into that neighbourhood. RNH gets 3 mil/yr for the next 3 years so getting him would be the same kind of problem as signing Stastny. Not impossible, but very difficult.

Something I don't see being considered here much is that Myers may not be that easy to retain if we wanted to. Everyone seems to just assume that we can choose to keep him, or not for whatever contract Chevy wants to offer him. He is only 1 more year from UFA and could get quite a contract if he can stay reasonably healthy for 1 more season.

If we wanted to keep him, how much money and term would we want to give? Would it be enough?

I wouldn't want to trade Trouba and then lose Myers to UFA 1 year later.

I hope we sign Trouba long term immediately after our season ends. We are then free to trade Myers for a decent return.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I could see Roslovic easily replacing him if he were to walk, I think come next year Roslovic will bring on a great 2C role.

I agree with you picklehead--I definitely think that Roslovic vcan fill that spot. He definitely has the talent-"he just needs the experience." Usually it's reams with young stars that win Championships--so instead of breaking the bank with Statsny--I like the idea of the Jets going with Roslovic. It makes cents $$$

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yeah, and move Little if you have to.
because we have SO many players ready to take his spot.....
Little has played great these playoffs if you ask me.
Roslo might be a 2C in a few years but that won't be this upcoming season.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
RNH for Myers would be another Chiarelli deal in the Reinhart for Barzal + category. Not quite that lopsided but getting into that neighbourhood. RNH gets 3 mil/yr for the next 3 years so getting him would be the same kind of problem as signing Stastny. Not impossible, but very difficult.

Something I don't see being considered here much is that Myers may not be that easy to retain if we wanted to. Everyone seems to just assume that we can choose to keep him, or not for whatever contract Chevy wants to offer him. He is only 1 more year from UFA and could get quite a contract if he can stay reasonably healthy for 1 more season.

If we wanted to keep him, how much money and term would we want to give? Would it be enough?

I hope we sign Trouba long term immediately after our season ends. We are then free to trade Myers for a decent return.

Yeah extremely unlikely Myers takes a pay cut to stay here. He will get paid really well in FA. A big bodied offensive minded RHD is a coveted piece. I'd bet he'd get around 6.5 mil in FA.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I agree with you picklehead--I definitely think that Roslovic vcan fill that spot. He definitely has the talent-"he just needs the experience." Usually it's reams with young stars that win Championships--so instead of breaking the bank with Statsny--I like the idea of the Jets going with Roslovic. It makes cents $$$

Not sure Roslovic is ready to play between Laine and Ehlers. Stastny is a perfect fit their because of his defensive ability, play along the boards and his ability to win faceoffs. Roslovic is not quite the player Stastny is and those two wingers need a strong center between them. We have to remember that is the likely spot being filled.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

This is the Jet's trickiest situation--if you sign Myers long term, and trade Trouba--what happens if Myers gets hurt ??-he has had hip and knee operations--it's just to risky. Very likely will happen.

If you sign Trouba-- you probably can't afford Myers then--it's probably the safest way to go. In that case you'd probably lose Myers to free agency, unless you trade him in the offseason--and you can't do that until Trouba is signed. It's a dilemma.

One thing for sure --you cannot lose both of them--we'd have a big hole on the right side defence. I think you can lose either one of them, and still do fine. The problem is with Myers--it's really a gamble regarding his durability and longevity.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah extremely unlikely Myers takes a pay cut to stay here. He will get paid really well in FA. A big bodied offensive minded RHD is a coveted piece. I'd bet he'd get around 6.5 mil in FA.
But, but, we gave him time off to be with his sick kid that one time. So he just has to give us a discount.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Not sure Roslovic is ready to play between Laine and Ehlers. Stastny is a perfect fit their because of his defensive ability, play along the boards and his ability to win faceoffs. Roslovic is not quite the player Stastny is and those two wingers need a strong center between them. We have to remember that is the likely spot being filled.

Not just that but I think Stastny's veteran savvy stabilizes that line. There are all kinds of little things he does well that will take Roslo years to learn.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not just that but I think Stastny's veteran savvy stabilizes that line. There are all kinds of little things he does well that will take Roslo years to learn.

Exactly. I don't think it's just a plug and play type thing. Especially trying to thrust a 2nd year player into a 2C role where he has to be the responsible one among two players who have more NHL experience than he does. As great of players as Ehlers and Laine are being their center isn't exactly an easy job. They are still growing as players and Roslo is further behind then they are in his development. He does some great things but there is plenty more he needs to learn before he can become that player for us.

Reactions: Jack722

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Myers and Mason are moved we can afford him for two seasons. After that more guys would need to be moved. Of course that would all depend on what he signs for. There may be some teams interested in acquiring Mason. But it likely won't be until he is healthy and plays some games.

Have you looked at the table I posted? Myers and Mason have to be gone after next year just to keep everybody else - not including Stastny. Moving them now would allow us to have him next year only.

My projection for next year already has Myers gone, along with Enstrom. The year after, we lose Myers. There is still barely room for everyone else and that is with bridge deals for everyone except Laine.

If Mason has to be healthy and play some games it is too late to sign Stastny. If Mason is healthy and plays well he would still be difficult to move at 4.1 mil. Not to mention that by the time he plays some games it is also too late to pick up a competent backup in the off-season.

I just can't see moving Mason as a realistic scenario. I understand how much you want to keep Stastny but I'm afraid that will only come from doing something far more painful than moving Mason. We have to just eat that 4.1 mil for 1 year and he is gone.

Meanwhile, if you want to keep Stastny, move Perreault or Kulikov, or both.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Have you looked at the table I posted? Myers and Mason have to be gone after next year just to keep everybody else - not including Stastny. Moving them now would allow us to have him next year only.

My projection for next year already has Myers gone, along with Enstrom. The year after, we lose Myers. There is still barely room for everyone else and that is with bridge deals for everyone except Laine.

If Mason has to be healthy and play some games it is too late to sign Stastny. If Mason is healthy and plays well he would still be difficult to move at 4.1 mil. Not to mention that by the time he plays some games it is also too late to pick up a competent backup in the off-season.

I just can't see moving Mason as a realistic scenario. I understand how much you want to keep Stastny but I'm afraid that will only come from doing something far more painful than moving Mason. We have to just eat that 4.1 mil for 1 year and he is gone.

I'm expecting another cap rise after next season. I just hope we get the max both years.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Im a leafs fan but watched Stasny career and knew whoever got him at deadline would go far but did not think to a conference final. Go Jets! Should sign him for 2 years if could trade another big contract out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'd be surprised if Myers got that much, but maybe. I find his number hard to judge. I don't think we can use his current AAV as a starting point because that comes from that weird, front loaded deal he signed with Buffalo. I was thinking in the 3.5 range prior to this season. His rediscovered offense plus an 82 game season will have boosted that number quite a bit. Now, I'm thinking 5-5.5, but who knows?

The thing that would really concerns me would be term. I expect he would get at least 4, probably 5 years, maybe 6. Would 5x5.2 be a good guess for him in UFA? I think that would be close. I don't think I would want to give him that deal - and he might get more.

Whatever the numbers turn out to be, if they are more than Chevy could or should go, then we should only think of having him 1 more year. Is he enough of a difference maker that we should keep him for that year? Or should we sell high and move him regardless of what Trouba does? I liked Myers on our 3rd pair this year. I think that his Dzone play was exposed when he played higher up. Am I wrong?

I hate to think of our RD with both of them gone but Trouba leaving is the big impact. If Trouba gets moved then the return really has to address RHD, one way or another.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Remember, Chevy was open to getting a C with another year left, that should indicate a plan in place. After that other salaries come off, cap goes up and options are available.

As I said way back, Stastny would need to want to stay, how things are going certainly help in that regard. From there if he does I expect a contract would be worked out. A strong 2C that enhances the strengths of this team is vitally important, which was always the salient point I made.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I'd move Perrault for Stas in a heartbeat. It would be a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.id also move kuli if his health allowed us to find a deal for him where we just need to throw in a 3rd round pick.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
If the Jets win the Cup I don't think Stastny will re-sign. He'll have a Cup, will have driven up his contract value for free agency, and will be able to decide with his family where he wants to play and get paid max $.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd even consider moving Wheeler for Stas as we are rich in Wingers. Of course that's a no-go as without wheeler stas would have no interest being a Jet.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm expecting another cap rise after next season. I just hope we get the max both years.

I assumed a little over 4% each year after this one. We are still within spitting distance of the cap. Fortunately there isn't likely much bonus to worry about in '20. There might be more in '21.

I used caps of 80, 83.5 and 87 mil for those years. It might go up more than that but it also might go up less. In part it depends on how much the PA uses of their 5%. If they use it all, as they usually have done the cap might go up a little more. But I don't think that it would be prudent to plan on it going up more than 12 mil in 3 years.

In that third year ('21), Morrissey's bridge has expired. The next year Connor's expires and the year after that it is Roslovic's. Those new contracts could continue to eat up all the cap rise, plus there are lesser players whose contracts will come up for renewal.

Kulikov's expiring after the '20 season is accounted for but then Niku's bridge kicks in. The good news is that both MP (if he is still here) and Buff expire after that '21 season.

I think it gets a little easier at that point for a little while but not too long. That cap space will have to be used to replace aging players. Then it is only a couple of years until some of these long term contracts to younger players start to expire, one by one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->