Should the January Transfer Window Continue to Exist?

Should the January Transfer Window Continue to Exist?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's been discussed before in World Football and with this being one of the slower January's to date I thought it would be interesting to see what people think.

Explain why you want it to stay or go.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Now this is a poll I can vote on. Let's put it this way, I support a club that just brought in Kevin Prince Boateng and I think it should exist. Actually considering that I may need to find a moderator to change my vote. I mean if it doesn't exist we can't loan him can we?

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, I think there's a place for it.

I'm willing to listen to legitimate arguments against it , though. I just haven't heard any.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What are the arguments against it? Seems insane to me that you would have to end with the roster that you start with. If you are a team that gets hit with a lot of injuries, you'd pretty much be screwed.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As it works at the moment I have no issues with it. It doesn't seem like it is used much to unsettle players - which would be my main argument for being against it.

Not to mention that not all leagues begin in the fall and finishes in the spring (European). So closing January would mean that for some leagues you can only buy and sell in the middle of the season - which would be rather stupid. Of course you could expand on the current rules where there is a difference in the "window" depending on which league you are playing in, but I fear it would complicate things quite significantly - as in many cases selling a player means buying another.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What are the arguments against it?

It mostly comes from teams that have less financially. Their seasons can get disrupted as some of their better players are poached for big money. Basically it is just another spot for big teams to flex their wallets and allows them to cover up some bigger personal problems. Smaller clubs are usually left finding creative ways to get over mid season issues.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It mostly comes from teams that have less financially. Their seasons can get disrupted as some of their better players are poached for big money. Basically it is just another spot for big teams to flex their wallets and allows them to cover up some bigger personal problems. Smaller clubs are usually left finding creative ways to get over mid season issues.
That's fair, those clubs are put into less than desirable situations. I do find the situations where the replacement is better than the poached player though. Imagine how Chelsea would've been if they just bought Suarez instead of Torres.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

Yeah, that might be the best counter I've heard , and I still don't think it's enough to sway me even a little bit.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It used to be open during the PL season, with a deadline in the spring/late winter. Similar to NA sports and a trade deadline.

I'm torn on it. I can see arguments for both. There is some really stupid spending in the Jan window as teams get desperate. But you can't legislate against stupid spending.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah, that might be the best counter I've heard , and I still don't think it's enough to sway me even a little bit.

Honestly I don't really know where I stand on the topic. But its been a slower January than most and I don't think removing the window would necessarily have any major negative impacts.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The movement always happens closer to the deadline, just like the NA sports where the window is always open until a deadline day. Negotiations just go on and on, and teams don't know how much they want to invest in that season.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yes.

Though to be fair, I would support getting rid of the silly window, and just having a registration deadline in each time frame.

Like, you have to register new players for the second part of the season by X date. You have to register new players for the CL by this date.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Oh. Now that I think about it my local team just lost like it's three best players this window to big teams poaching them off. :mad:

Still, I mean what are the arguments for having non-trading periods at all? So the players and teams know what they're dealing with and aren't overly distracted by trade talk. One month in the winter doesn't really matter much in that regard. They'd anyways be negotiating behind the scenes for summer deals, so it makes sense to just let them happen.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The aspect of the smaller clubs makes for an interesting contrast between Euro Football and the traditional NA sports with free agency, entry draft, true minor league system, etc. While I think we all prefer the relegation system, this issue highlights one of the downsides of it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Still, I mean what are the arguments for having non-trading periods at all? So the players and teams know what they're dealing with and aren't overly distracted by trade talk. One month in the winter doesn't really matter much in that regard. They'd anyways be negotiating behind the scenes for summer deals, so it makes sense to just let them happen.

I don't really think negotiations are the issues, negotiate away, just make the move in the summer. I think the concern is more along the lines of what happened to your local team.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
While I think we all prefer the relegation system, this issue highlights one of the downsides of it.

Agreed although sometimes I wonder what it would be like to do a top 8 system where there are best of 3s or something ;)

I quickly realize after that it would be a bad idea

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->