Should the flyers have kept Forsberg?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Jagr was caught in a political situation at the time. Unlike Petr Nedved, he wasn't a defector. Teams were concerned for obvious reasons if they drafted him. The Draft was billed by many as a top 5 then everyone else (the top 5 being Nolan, Nedved, Primeau, Jagr and Ricci in various orders). Bobby Clarke, by then no longer with the Flyers, said at the time that Jagr was the best player available. Some were of the opinion that Russ Farwell wanted Nedved because they were together in the WHL (Seattle) but he was taken prior to the Flyers' fourth pick. Ricci was ranked number 1 overall in an earlier ranking by the Central Scouting Bureau.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mind....blown!
Was he projected to be a generational talent? That doesn't really fit the flyers drafting mold.

Goalies are different because of sheer numbers but the Flyers had Hextall and Wregget. Rumors had one being traded to either Detroit or Vancouver to move up in that draft (Nedved rumors) but neither team bit. Brodeur was taken at 20 but no, I don't think anyone had him positioned as one the game's all-time greats. In fact, he was projected to be picked in the second round more so than first round. I recall one summary of Brodeur was "that he lacks polish." I think Trevor Kidd had a much bigger can't-miss label, too.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Goalies are different because of sheer numbers but the Flyers had Hextall and Wregget. Rumors had one being traded to either Detroit or Vancouver to move up in that draft (Nedved rumors) but neither team bit. Brodeur was taken at 20 but no, I don't think anyone had him positioned as one the game's all-time greats. In fact, he was projected to be picked in the second round more so than first round. I recall one summary of Brodeur was "that he lacks polish." I think Trevor Kidd had a much bigger can't-miss label, too.

Coming out of junior hockey, Trevor Kidd was projected to be one of the greatest goalies of the generation.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
Coming out of junior hockey, Trevor Kidd was projected to be one of the greatest goalies of the generation.

Still had the best pads of the generation.

kidd.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ You are correct. At #200. That makes three goalies in that 1990 Draft. Schwab was with Farwell in Seattle, too.

Tommy Soderstrom was taken at #214.

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
If you could go back to the day of the trade would you undo it and have Forsberg play his entire career as a flyer? tough call Lindros and Forsberg were both dope players. I personally would have kept Forsberg, Lindros' cuncussions are what make the difference for me

If I could go back in time and undo the trade? Hell yes I would keep Forsberg and all the other players and draft picks. And I was all over the trade back then, loved it. What made the difference for me now was that he did not bring us the cup and he was a Mama's boy.
PS What does dope mean? Out of your mind?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If I could go back in time and undo the trade? Hell yes I would keep Forsberg and all the other players and draft picks. And I was all over the trade back then, loved it. What made the difference for me now was that he did not bring us the cup and he was a Mama's boy.
PS What does dope mean? Out of your mind?

"Dope" means "excellent" in the vernacular of our times.

Unless the Flyers get a great goalie, like Roy, I don't see how undoing the trade makes any difference. Hell, drop Roy on the Flyers and maybe they get a Cup.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Unless the Flyers get a great goalie, like Roy, I don't see how undoing the trade makes any difference. Hell, drop Roy on the Flyers and maybe they get a Cup.

I agree on both fronts

And no to the OP, without Lindros on the Flyers I wouldn't be the hockey fan I am today. Even with all the drama that occured he's far and away my favorite hockey player of all time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah if you look at the Av's rosters compared to the Flyers (for that time period) there's really no comparison. The Av's were loaded. Multiple HOFer's all around the lineup and arguably the best goalie to ever play.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Jagr was unranked by NHL scouts during that draft LOL

Don't think that's true. I have a book called "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die" where it talks about that draft and how the Flyers were thinking of drafting him. He was very highly touted but back then it was really frowned upon to draft Europeans with such a high pick because of the fear that the competition was not as good and that they may not come to play.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
"Dope" means "excellent" in the vernacular of our times.Unless the Flyers get a great goalie, like Roy, I don't see how undoing the trade makes any difference. Hell, drop Roy on the Flyers and maybe they get a Cup.

Thanks Beef. Here in the construction industry I hear alot of slang terms but missed that one. Still think I will not use it when someone does a good job. Can you imagine two hard hats saying you did a dope job!:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad