Speculation: Should the Flyers Consider Including Koney To Get Panarin?

Should Flyers Consider Trading Konecny for Panarin?

• Total voters

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I can't help thinking that you should leave a door open when a big name like Panarin becomes available.
That guy is a PPG scoring machine.

Not saying I would or that the Flyers should. It's tough.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Wow...this is a lot tougher than I thought. I went through both processes like "Of course, Panarin is elite" and also "Absolutely not, TK is a future core, could score 35 goals"

I think you make that move if you REALLY think you can win the cup this year. Which the Flyers aren't. The goaltending is still too trashy for a cup contention.

If you had Hart just coming into his prime, lets say coming off a borderline Vezina year and TK was in this spot, sure, you take the chance to get an 80 pt winger.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Artemi Panarin is a LW.

We already have a better 1st line LW named Claude Giroux. We also have a freshly inked JVR for 2nd line LW and promising sophomore Oskar Lindblom for 3rd line LW.

If we were to trade Konecny, who by the way is 5 years younger and a lot further away from a massive contract, we would have Simmonds back in our top 6 in 18-19 and then if he walks who knows what our RW situation looks like going forward.

This is an extremely easy no. Hes a great player but a bad fit here.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Artemi Panarin is a LW.

We already have a better 1st line LW named Claude Giroux. We also have a freshly inked JVR for 2nd line LW and promising sophomore Oskar Lindblom for 3rd line LW.

If we were to trade Konecny, who by the way is 5 years younger and a lot further away from a massive contract, we would have Simmonds back in our top 6 in 18-19 and then if he walks who knows what our RW situation looks like going forward.

This is an extremely easy no. Hes a great player but a bad fit here.

From my understanding he really hasn't played much at all on the right side either (I could be wrong). While we would have possibly the best group of left wingers in league, it seems like poor asset management to double down on the least important position in hockey.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It would just be dumb to trade for a guy who has expressed to CBus he only wants to play in certain markets, and we are not one of them.

Let them keep him...then lose im for nothing to a West coast team. That's what I wish.

Reactions: Rebels57

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It would just be dumb to trade for a guy who has expressed to CBus he only wants to play in certain markets, and we are not one of them.

Let them keep him...then lose im for nothing to a West coast team. That's what I wish.

I think he just wants a large market. He expressed interest in LA, Chicago and NY. I think he would probably stick with Philly. Nevertheless, still not a deal I want to make at this moment.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Flyers Season in Review: Travis Konecny
"With Giroux and Couturier, Konecny scored at 5-on-5 not merely at the level of a first liner, but like a true superstar. He racked up 31 total points in the situation, good for a Points/60 rate of 3.03. For reference, Connor McDavid led the NHL over the full season with a 3.20 Points/60 rate at 5v5, and Nathan MacKinnon was second at 3.00. You read that right — during his 43 games on the Flyers’ top line, Konecny scored at an efficiency rate superior to every single forward in hockey aside from the consensus best player in the world."

I hang on to a 21 year old winger capable of that. It is a small sample size of 43 games, and he obviously isn't the one driving that line. That being said as long as TK is playing in the top 6, and not being made to try and carry a third line of dreck I think he is an elite winger today.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
If 18-19 we make the playoff and get to the second round, I think Hextall will go all in in UFA. With Frost and Hart likely ready, he can make a big splash in off season with 1 of Panarin or Seguin. I think more and more UFAs will go the distance "Tavares like".

We will have more then enought cap space to make it happen. Bridge to Konecny, Sanheim and something around 7millions for Provorov. Lyon and Hart in goal. 9 to 10 millions to either Panarin or Seguin and we still have 10 to 14 millions cap space left. We could be the NBA Warriors lollll.

Bottom line, dont trade, do like Toronto and be patient.

Screenshot_20180728-074453_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-074444_Samsung Internet.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers Season in Review: Travis Konecny
"With Giroux and Couturier, Konecny scored at 5-on-5 not merely at the level of a first liner, but like a true superstar. He racked up 31 total points in the situation, good for a Points/60 rate of 3.03. For reference, Connor McDavid led the NHL over the full season with a 3.20 Points/60 rate at 5v5, and Nathan MacKinnon was second at 3.00. You read that right — during his 43 games on the Flyers’ top line, Konecny scored at an efficiency rate superior to every single forward in hockey aside from the consensus best player in the world."

I hang on to a 21 year old winger capable of that. It is a small sample size of 43 games, and he obviously isn't the one driving that line. That being said as long as TK is playing in the top 6, and not being made to try and carry a third line of dreck I think he is an elite winger today.

The whole point of gathering top young talent is to let them grow up, and get great production at a manageable cap hit.
Panarin put up great numbers because he played a lot of minutes, 2.27, 2.27, 2.08 pp/60 - his three NHL seasons at 24-26 years old.
He's at his peak, will be 28 as a free agent after next season - so you'll be paying $10+M a year until he's 34 or 35.
Konency, playing half the season with scrubs, also had 2.27 pp/60 at AGE 20.

I wouldn't trade Konency straight up for Panarin even if Panarin was signed to a reasonable UFA contract, we have another low cost year of Konency, then we can sign him to a long-term RFA extension. Konency isn't as good as Panarin right now, but has far more upside. And TK is more physical while bringing a similar package of speed and offensive skills.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Trading TK would be a horrific mistake.

We saw how insane he was last year... if he was where he belonged from the start, he could have easily scored 30+ goals. Perfect fit for the top line, while being young and cheap too. Only thing holding him back is lack of top PP usage.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Voracek+ for Panarin would be my preference

Id prefer to not nerf our RW depth to bolster our already crowded LW. I also would not include a plus because Jake is locked up for 5 more years at nearly 2 million less than Panarin will likely get on his next deal.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Id prefer to not nerf our RW depth to bolster our already crowded LW. I also would not include a plus because Jake is locked up for 5 more years at nearly 2 million less than Panarin will likely get on his next deal.

Giroux, Konecny and Panarin can play both sides.

Panarin's worth more than Voracek.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
My question is why should we trade TK and a 1st (the likely cost) to pay Panarin 7+mil when we could keep all our assets and just re-sign Simmonds??? I mean if we are going to put ourselves in cap hell why not keep our elc players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad