Should the Ducks go after Tyson Barrie?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
A top 4 of...

Lindholm - Mason
Fowler - Risto

Would be very solid. Then let the AHL and 6/7 guys fight for the last two spots.

Risto seems like hed be a good guy for fowler to play with... skates well, has a shot, can play physical behind the net and in front of the net... and they would be getting mins beneficial to their offensive side, as Lindholm + manson would be taking a lot of the hard mins.

I assume Guds is a lock at the 3rd paring RHD, and the LHD would be between Guhle/Larsson(Mahura, but I think he wont get a legit look till next year unless injuries hold up). Having Manson + Risto + Guds down the right side, gives our defense a much meaner look.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Risto seems like hed be a good guy for fowler to play with... skates well, has a shot, can play physical behind the net and in front of the net... and they would be getting mins beneficial to their offensive side, as Lindholm + manson would be taking a lot of the hard mins.

I assume Guds is a lock at the 3rd paring RHD, and the LHD would be between Guhle/Larsson(Mahura, but I think he wont get a legit look till next year unless injuries hold up). Having Manson + Risto + Guds down the right side, gives our defense a much meaner look.

I agree. I think Bob is going to improve the D via trade and let the forward group continue to grow within. If Steel and Jones keep up with the points then we are in really good shape. Just want to see more out of Terry.

The vets have been bouncing back nicely including Getz, so let them work itself out. But I feel the D needs outside help. Guds was just to fill in for Manson now in the top 4 role but then will solidify the bottom pairing once he’s back. Still need that RHD Top 4 PP guy.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
One of the things you need to consider is the expansion draft. The consensus is the ducks will only protect 3 dman - right now Fowler, Lindholm and Manson seem to be the guys. Anyone you add (Risto or Barria as a UFA) likely gets exposed. So if you trade or sign for someone who is not expansion draft exempt before the end of 2020-21, you're creating a problem. Not to mention that if Larrsson or Mahura or Guhle take the next step, they'd have to be exposed (I think).

For that reason, I don't see the ducks making any major acquisitions before the expansion draft unless it is for a draft exempt player and/or a "hockey trade" where an expansion eligible player is sent the other way.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
One of the things you need to consider is the expansion draft. The consensus is the ducks will only protect 3 dman - right now Fowler, Lindholm and Manson seem to be the guys. Anyone you add (Risto or Barria as a UFA) likely gets exposed. So if you trade or sign for someone who is not expansion draft exempt before the end of 2020-21, you're creating a problem. Not to mention that if Larrsson or Mahura or Guhle take the next step, they'd have to be exposed (I think).

For that reason, I don't see the ducks making any major acquisitions before the expansion draft unless it is for a draft exempt player and/or a "hockey trade" where an expansion eligible player is sent the other way.
We keep 4 dmen im positive, and just pay them to take who we want.

I hate the idea of not bettering team because we could potentially lose someome.

Essentially kase for risto

Risto fowler manson lindholm
Rakell silf steel terry(assumin he doesnt still suck by then)

Getz can wait and sign till after, kase would be gone, ritchie i can live without and henrique at that point might be beneficial to lose his contract

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
We keep 4 dmen im positive, and just pay them to take who we want.

I hate the idea of not bettering team because we could potentially lose someome.

Essentially kase for risto

Risto fowler manson lindholm
Rakell silf steel terry(assumin he doesnt still suck by then)

Getz can wait and sign till after, kase would be gone, ritchie i can live without and henrique at that point might be beneficial to lose his contract
Protecting Terry instead of Ritchie or Jones, lol.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
My point was our forwards needing protection, arnt anything id be down about if we lost em. I wont be shocked if ritchie is gone by then

I don't think we'll go the 4-4 rout - almost certainly 7-3. I could be wrong, but as you point out, even if they go 4-4, they will lose a pretty good player. At the end of the day, Murray will probably cut some sort of deal as he did before.

The ED is almost 2 years away. Wake me when that season winds down and I'll start panicking about who to protect.

You're missing the point. The ducks are rebuilding and their most optimistic window to REALLY compete for a cup would be the 2021-22 season - and that is probably overly optimistic. They probably barely make/miss the playoffs this year, make the playoffs in 2020-21, and then hopefully take the next step after that. Given that reality, they need to be playing the long game and not giving up significant assets for a short term return in the next year or two.

I think they should add on defense if a 3/4/5 RHD can be added at a reasonable cost - a player they won't care about protecting or losing in the draft. The plan should be to sign an elite RHD after the 2020-21 expansion draft - just as the team is taking the next step.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
As fans, I'm with you. Just hoping our GM doesn't get caught with his pants down again.
Agree. Word is (according to multiple Athletic articles I've read) that a lot of GMs learned from the last ED to just accept you will lose a good player and move on. Too many GMs were too smart by half last time.

Reactions: Deuce22

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You're missing the point. The ducks are rebuilding and their most optimistic window to REALLY compete for a cup would be the 2021-22 season - and that is probably overly optimistic. They probably barely make/miss the playoffs this year, make the playoffs in 2020-21, and then hopefully take the next step after that. Given that reality, they need to be playing the long game and not giving up significant assets for a short term return in the next year or two.

I think they should add on defense if a 3/4/5 RHD can be added at a reasonable cost - a player they won't care about protecting or losing in the draft. The plan should be to sign an elite RHD after the 2020-21 expansion draft - just as the team is taking the next step.

Not sure what your point is. I've always said the team is transitioning and shouldn't be looking for rentals or short term fixes at the cost of the future. I just see no point in getting hung up today on who will or won't be protected 2 years from now. How the young guys do or don't develop will speak volumes to the decisions that will need to be made then.

I'm not for or against any specific deal until I know what it is. I'm just saying you cannot have a black and white plan today based on thinking you know what you will do 2 years from now with the ED.

FWIW, and as an aside, I think you are extremely optimistic if you think they can be serious cup contenders in 21-22.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think this is why the rookies are being force fed NHL minutes. They’re trying to figure out which ones are worth protecting when the time comes.
Yeah, I'm sure that is some of it. I just hope they aren't being rushed in any way that will stunt their growth. At some point I think a player is better served after taking some lumps in the NHL, to go back to the A and have a much better idea of what to work on, having seen first hand what doesn't work. I realize that can be a fine line, but I'm just not a fan of rushing anybody when there is no benefit to rushing them.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Not sure what your point is. I've always said the team is transitioning and shouldn't be looking for rentals or short term fixes at the cost of the future. I just see no point in getting hung up today on who will or won't be protected 2 years from now. How the young guys do or don't develop will speak volumes to the decisions that will need to be made then.

I'm not for or against any specific deal until I know what it is. I'm just saying you cannot have a black and white plan today based on thinking you know what you will do 2 years from now with the ED.

FWIW, and as an aside, I think you are extremely optimistic if you think they can be serious cup contenders in 21-22.

You have an odd way of misinterpreting words. I post that the "most optimistic window" to compete with the cup is 21-22. You reply that I'm being extremely optimistic if I think that - but I never said I did. The question is at what point should the ducks consider spending assets for a short term upgrade, and my answer (which you seem to agree with) is no sooner than 21-22 - certainly not now.

And "getting hung up today on who will be protected" is part of planning for tomorrow. In considering whether to make a move, you have to take into consideration that Fowler, Manson and Lindholm are core pieces who almost certainly will be protected and the 7-3 rule. Any decent GM for an ascendant team not in contention for a cup has to consider those factors TODAY. I guarantee you that GMs map rosters out for 3-5 years (cap planning, drafting, etc.). That is their job. And as fans on an internet board, no doubt we armchair gms will do the same.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Guhle is our youngster going forward. Larsson will be the next dman shipped out of town.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Guhle is our youngster going forward. Larsson will be the next dman shipped out of town.

Guhle and Larsson are the exact same age and neither has really outshone the other. Guhle is more flashy but Larsson has a much better brain on him. Other than being a shiny new toy why would the organisation view Guhle as being so much better than Larsson to ship Larsson out?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Take away from us already Risto or Miller, Montour is already playing the winger position because of excess RHD. :help:

Reactions: Getz2noone

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Guhle and Larsson are the exact same age and neither has really outshone the other. Guhle is more flashy but Larsson has a much better brain on him. Other than being a shiny new toy why would the organisation view Guhle as being so much better than Larsson to ship Larsson out?
Because he’s a shiny new toy , that we traded for. Who has a longer reach and much better skater with more offensive upside.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Take away from us already Risto or Miller, Montour is already playing the winger position because of excess RHD. :help:
Not sure we would be interested in Miller anymore. Gudbranson, Holzer and Fowler on his offside until Manson comes back are good for now. Unless we add some big piece which I could see Risto being. You need forwards? What kind?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not sure we would be interested in Miller anymore. Gudbranson, Holzer and Fowler on his offside until Manson comes back are good for now. Unless we add some big piece which I could see Risto being. You need forwards? What kind?
They need top 6 RW.

Kase for Risto(maybe slight adds), makes the most sense... unless they want something like Ritchie + Larsson(2nd, guhle back) or something.

Please don't use Holzer and good in the same sentence ever again, this is a warning... next time I might not be so calm

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Because he’s a shiny new toy , that we traded for. Who has a longer reach and much better skater with more offensive upside.

He doesn’t have a longer reach, the two are almost the exact same size. Not disagreeing he has more offensive upside but Larsson has significantly more defensive upside and thinks the game a lot better.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Let's be honest - does anyone really know what Bob is thinking?
i-Q28M7sj.jpg

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
They need top 6 RW.

Kase for Risto(maybe slight adds), makes the most sense... unless they want something like Ritchie + Larsson(2nd, guhle back) or something.

Please don't use Holzer and good in the same sentence ever again, this is a warning... next time I might not be so calm
Holzer has been put in a role where he have to play over his head a bit and is doing fairly well - knowing what kind of season this is for us, I believe it might be good enough for us to not spend assets for some players right now. Obviously Holzer is playing with some mistakes but that is to be expected, he`s averaging 17:30 on the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad