Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Midnight Judges, Feb 19, 2018.

?

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

Poll closed Mar 22, 2018.
  1. Yes.

78.0%
  2. No.

22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos Registered User

Ranger fans really want him, too. Babcock is safe w/ the leafs, so the idea is that TOR won't block any teams from negotiating with Keefe, not sure if he's the right guy or not, but he's done well with the Leafs prospects. Could bring a fresh perspective at a relatively cheaper salary.

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel log off.

yeah, it's total joke :laugh:

just trying to keep myself amused with years of disappointment, so why not point to something ridiculous..

3. Lindemann

Lindemann Registered User

I fully believe in GMBM

His trades for Kemp and Jab were looked at as dumpster dives but actually were very solid signings

McPhee could never correctly dumpster dive

RandyHolt likes this.
  4. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

Keefe would be great for you guys.

5. CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    You don’t get it....moving on.

6. CapitalsCupReality

Well, the two top owners aren’t changing....now what? I don’t see anyone defending Leonsis or Patrick. Unfortunately they don’t play the games either. Backstrom is 10000% someone to consider in a franchise-altering trade scenario. Anyone not named Ovechkin should be and should have been years ago.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. Eazy for Kuzy

Eazy for Kuzy Moderator

It's a lot more simple than that to me. If you look at the organization from top to bottom, you have GMBM who did his job each year to field the most competitive team. Then, Trotz coached them well enough to win a Stanley Cup last year, and well enough to win the division this year. Players have failed to execute the game plan. Some players do need to be replaced. I like our core for the most part, I just think some elements should be replaced/upgraded.

Trotz will be replaced this summer, unless he gets us past the 2nd round by some miracle. Change is around the corner, for better or worse.

8. Capsman

Capsman Registered User

What is the game plan? And assuming there’s a viable game plan, how do you know Trotz coaches it well? How do you know his game plan is suited to his personnel?

All I see is a team that is very static offensively and doesn’t look like the players are on the same page.

9. CapitalsCupReality

You don't win as many games as he has at the top professional level and not coach pretty damn well and certainly not without some kind of game plan. It's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  10. Eazy for Kuzy

Eazy for Kuzy Moderator

I have a hard time believing that the Caps could have been as successful as they have been without a game plan. Players fail to execute all the time. Whether it's a missed assignment defensively, a soft pass or a neutral zone turnover, we see them fail often. That was the issue to me in Game 7. Winnik shoots high and wide on a breakaway, Oshie misses a tap-in, Shattenkirk & Ovi fail to get the puck out. Compare us to the team we faced that day. The Penguins' players did very few mistakes and were very careful with the puck.

CapitalsCupFantasy likes this.
  11. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

Obviously Trotz has a game plan. But you are right, do we have the personnel for his system? If that ius the case. Do we change the personnel or the system?

12. mad4comp

mad4comp Registered User

Nobody does... Which is why he didn't win with the defensive stalwart that was Nashville.... They were perfect for his system... unfortunately his "system" sucks. It's not the 1960's anymore... defense doesn't win championships. The dinosaur that is Trotz needs to find another line of work.

calicapsfan likes this.
  13. maacoshark

We scored 4 goals tonight. That should be enough to win. We had a ton of shots. We didn't lose in the offensive zone. We lost in the defensive zone. Maybe Trotz doesnt use a defensive system. It sure doesnt look like it.

14. peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12 Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You will defend Trotz at all costs.

15. Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms SY-STEM SY-STEM!!

Logistics
    < - - - - -

16. Capsman

Capsman Registered User

We also gave up more goals tonight, is that on Vrana and Djoos?

I also disagree that we lost in the defensieve zone only. 3 of our goals were PP goals and we had a ton of PP opportunities. We had one ES goal and for most of the game had trouble generating quality ES shots. And there is a huge element of shooting and crashing he net forb rebounds missing when we do get the chances, as we saw in the OT.

RandyHolt likes this.
  17. WcRoenick97

WcRoenick97 Registered User

We need a coach with actual cup winning experience. We don’t need another up and comer or coach who has never been past the second round. We need Suter.

18. Lindemann

Lindemann Registered User

It seems the logical choice is Reirden based on keeping him from interviews, etc

But is he different than Trotz?

I don’t know but today’s NHL is switching to translation and speed. We need a younger coach that can do that

19. g00n

g00n RIP Fugu

Too late to fire him, but he should be let go if they don't make the ECF at least. Obviously.

If we hire a new coach that preaches speed I think things will change significantly. Recall that gmbm talked about getting faster and more aggressive after Barry's year 1 loss to the Rongos. To me, that along with the plugger roster moves we've made, tells me BT is involved in buying the groceries and he's not really cooking what gmbm is craving. Making the playoffs each year has likely saved his job and prevented a firing, while lackluster results will mean refusal to re-up his contract.

I would not be surprised if we see a more uptempo team/coach with some roster moves made to dump some of the plodders. Then you need to worry about goaltenders that can stop a rush once in a while because if you think the puck is going the other way a lot now (it is, 2nd worst in the league) just wait until we're going balls to the wall offensively.

20. Slateman

Slateman Registered User

Yes. As part of a complete cleaning of house. But yes.

21. maacoshark

I didn't mention Djoos or Vrana. Half of the roster has played poorly. Unfortunately we cant scratch them all.
    My point was that 4 goals should have been enough to win. We had chances to score more but Bobrovsky was pretty good. We got mediocre goaltending again

22. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

He should've been gone during the season.

As it stands now, they're too late.

23. trick9

trick9 Registered User

Still wondering why people generally agree that the defense sucks and has done so for entire year, and yet want to give Reirden a promotion?

There are worse options, sure. But even if you think Trotz is controlling him and Reirden is not to blame at all, isn't it still a huge risk to promote him? I mean there are better coaches available. Even if you want to go with someone with no experience there are much better options available that don't come with such a huge red flag.

24. nothingbeatshockey

nothingbeatshockey Registered User

And herein lies the problem: if you do fire Trotz only to replace him with his assistant, has a change been made? Maybe Reirden would coach sufficiently different than Trotz to make a difference, but it seems more intuitive that finding someone new with actual playoff success would be more likely to produce a real coaching change.

And, unless you're willing to substantially change the roster, you're just re-arranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  25. Capsman

Capsman Registered User

The good teams (Penguins, Nashville, Vegas) can play fast and get back quickly. They don't need to take unnecessary chances to generate scoring opportunities. And when they do, they are all well versed in covering for each other. Well oiled machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.