Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Most people had us fighting for a WC because they expected the Pens and Columbus to put up 100+ points. We're just where the team was projected to be at the begining of the year, a 95 - 105 point team who should be in the hunt. It's just the Metro was awful this year so we're first instead of 3rd or battling for the WC.

Reactions: Devil Dancer and um

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Trotz rope a doping all season long lol....

46XN5mN.gif

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Interesting. Google translate leaves a bit to be desired, but a good read all the same.
Yep he basically said caps changed the way they play this year. He also said he got pissed off at kuzy for making jokes in russian while he was tied up with oshie. He told kuzy come to the ice and say to my face. Also mentioned that they were dissapointed that they were not able to win the division. Oh and his parents are here in the states and his mama is making him some borsch

Reactions: calicapsfan

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Yep he basically said caps changed the way they play this year. He also said he got pissed off at kuzy for making jokes in russian while he was tied up with oshie. He told kuzy come to the ice and say to my face. Also mentioned that they were dissapointed that they were not able to win the division. Oh and his parents are here in the states and his mama is making him some borsch

I sincerely hope that means we’re not gonna give up odd mans all series long should we face them again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Hah Kuzy! I love it! Give it to Shrek!

Probably some comment about how little Oshie was able to subdue him in that headlock.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I certainly think Trotz can stand to make more aggressive coaching decisions but that's not really what worries me. It's the lack of specific gameplanning and tactical adjustments and counter-adjustments that's more worrying. Trotz is potentially going to be coaching against Mike Sullivan, Jon Cooper, Mike Babcock, etc. and those guys are going to be doing their best to neutralize what has worked for the Capitals all season long and exploiting existing weaknesses in the team. Trotz might decide to be more aggressive because it's his final year but is Trotz really going to be able to out-coach these guys just because he's in a contract year? I doubt it, and given that Washington is no longer the clearly most talented team in the league I think it makes projecting them going far a difficult proposition.

If something's not working after one period, is Trotz really going to be able to make adjustments on the fly and change the tide of a game? I haven't seen it yet and unfortunately I don't think this regular season has shown me that he's capable of doing so, despite some recent success.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He doesn’t have to outcoach anyone if the players step up, he just has to not mess it up.

But hey, everyone is likely to fail in the NHL postseason. I haven’t projected a Caps team to “go far” in 38 years....why start now?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Btw, Malkin said yesterday Caps are now playing different, very good in neutral zone and dangerous on counter attacks. Less individual play, more system play. Literally what he said.

Was this before, or after, he had his warm milk bottle (with the extra long sucker for his big head)? I'm guessing after, since he's speaking coherently and not frothing at the mouth?

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Was this before, or after, he had his warm milk bottle (with the extra long sucker for his big head)? I'm guessing after, since he's speaking coherently and not frothing at the mouth?
He said that after the game, but in my opinion, he just summarized the Trotz hockey :laugh:. Below a translation what he said if anyone interested:

"We were little bit unlucky" - Malkin gave his thoughts - "and their goalie played very well, give due where due is. Washington played very well, according to the system. You can see they wanted to win. Of course, if we won, we would be closer to the first place at the division. There were practically four points at stake. It was painful defeat for us."
So what kind of system is it? It seems, Washington looks differently than in the previous years. They don't look like a team that crushes and demolishes everyone. Now Capitals play more from defense.
"Yeah, agree - they changed the tactics," - agreed Malkin - "Now it's not a team that scores 5-6 goals and has great offense like they used to in the past years. They try to play more according to the system (or they try to play more the team system). As it seems to me, Washington plays very well in the neutral zone. They don't rush (or slow down), they close gaps and wait for counterattacks. In my opinion, now Capitals do more counterattacks by themselves."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RandyHolt

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I see Malkin's quote as we play more trap hockey now where four players wait on the blue line, while before we had great forwards and did more damage.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz's system has always been "defense first" and "defense leads to offense". Beyond that we're probably not talking more than some standard man or zone packages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad