Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How is that. Presidents teams are formidable. Its not like we vanish in the loffs - we make it game 7.

What changes in the playoffs though. Facing the same opponent, mandates coaches to up their games - big time. Players certainly start performing more. Those that do that however, their coaches haven't gotten that out of them at all in the regular season. That comes down to coaching, and having to manage players sand bagging it all year and then flipping the switch.

Have you seen that "extra gear" from many of our playoff mainstays? I sure haven't...

A PPG pace in the playoffs is nice and all....but Conn Smythe's don't get won very often at that pace.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If the wheels come off in the stadium series it could get ugly. It's a nationally televised game, you'll have an already disgruntled fan base but now they've been tailgating all day.

I can hear the "FIRE TROTZ" chants now.

LOL...you're practically begging for a loss. What are you guys going to do when they win? I feel a win coming myself.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
LOL...you're practically begging for a loss. What are you guys going to do when they win? I feel a win coming myself.
I'm not at all begging for a loss. I'm just saying dissent in the fanbase is reaching critical mass and a bad loss on that stage could produce interesting results.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Have you seen that "extra gear" from many of our playoff mainstays? I sure haven't...

A PPG pace in the playoffs is nice and all....but Conn Smythe's don't get won very often at that pace.

Current Conn Smythe winner won his first one with way less than 1 PPG, 19 points in 24 games. So yeah. Now, compare Brett Connolly's playoff production to Bryan Rust's. There is your difference.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Current Conn Smythe winner won his first one with way less than 1 PPG, 19 points in 24 games. So yeah. Now, compare Brett Connolly's playoff production to Bryan Rust's. There is your difference.

Extremely controversial too...again...we don’t have a Crosby to fall back on so the league will lick our boots. I didnt say never....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
At some point you have to admit that it's not just about the treatment they get from the league, they outplayed us in key situations in game 7...

I think we’re talking about two different things. They beat us fair and square on the ice. Not often does the Conn Smythe get won at his production level of that year. But since he’s Crosby, his teammate lost out.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
At some point you have to admit that it's not just about the treatment they get from the league, they outplayed us in key situations in game 7...

Yup, the Pens looked absolutely finished after game 6, pretty much everyone thought that us winning game 7 at home was a done deal. Instead, we played one of the worst games of the season, did absolutely nothing offensively and didn't come even close to scoring. That loss had nothing to do with the refs or Bettman's Crosby worship.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Yup, the Pens looked absolutely finished after game 6, pretty much everyone thought that us winning game 7 at home was a done deal. Instead, we played one of the worst games of the season, did absolutely nothing offensively and didn't come even close to scoring. That loss had nothing to do with the refs or Bettman's Crosby worship.

Who the f*** thought that?! Those aren't Caps fans.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
When all the players body language looks as beaten as it did tonight that's on coaching. Relieve him of his duty ted. Try something...anything!

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Pens are champions not for nothing. With their experience it was obvious they will get better in next game.

And Caps were absent on the ice. Kinda like G7 against Rangers in 2014(?). 1-2, PP in the end of 3rd and Backstrom with shakey hands...

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
if I remember correctly, Caps had offense orientated coach, it didn`t work, defense orientated coach - didn`t work either. Which type of coach do you expect to be next?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
if I remember correctly, Caps had offense orientated coach, it didn`t work, defense orientated coach - didn`t work either. Which type of coach do you expect to be next?
One that knows how to make adjustments, one that is able to adapt when needed, one that knows how to win when it matters.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They might want to try a coach able to smarten players up and develop toward a coherent team concept for once rather than just raw skilling with varying degrees of attention to defense. Not that the culture or team leadership are easy students in either regard but it would be a nice change of pace. Mostly, they need to be gearing themselves toward some actual standard beyond whatever they can happen to get away with in the regular season.

Six coaches on the hot seat. I'd take either McLellan or Peters from a team concept and development standpoint. Peters would come cheaper than McLellan and, again, we'll see just how invested they are in the position based on which direction they go. Both come from the Detroit coaching tree and that's long been the sort of model--given their proclivity for European players--that they ought to seek to emulate more seriously. It's not just that they have east/west skill players but they're also softer on pucks and from a puck protection standpoint with no good reason other than laziness and shoddy offensive concepts. I'd have some concern with McLellan given that he has McDavid and can't make that team more competitive this season but Chiarelli is behind a lot of that when it comes to depth. Neither would carry quite the same rep as Q or probably Vigneault in terms of personality and media interaction but I figure those two are probably out of their price range. Plus, I'm not sure about the fit with Vigneault anyway. I doubt he'd fix their puck possession issues or team defense and his main fix would likely be transition pace and counter-attacking.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
One that knows how to make adjustments, one that is able to adapt when needed, one that knows how to win when it matters.
You can only do so much with the personnel you are given. Our personnel sucks and the additions we have made might have made the team worse.
Everyone thinks we have a very skilled team. We have a few skilled players but they have no clue how to play as a team. Its more about individual skill than team work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->