Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'm actually pretty surprised at these results. I thought it was going to be the other way around. Trotz still has his defenders.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
During the off-season and earlier in the season, I repeatedly argued that Darryl Sutter wasn't the answer at head coach. At that point, team defense and their in-zone coverage were typically viewed as strengths. It didn't make sense to me to swap one defensive-minded coach for another. As the season has progressed, it's become clear that this team is abysmal defensively.

Long story short: I'm now willing to try Darryl Sutter

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Amongst those defensemen with at least 500 minutes of 5v5 ice time this season, here is where Brooks Orpik ranks (all numbers are adjusted for game-state where applicable):

CF%: 176th out of 180
FF%: Dead last
xGF%: Dead last
SF%: Dead last
GF%: 162nd
Penalty differential: 166th

5v5 TOI/game: 84th
Djoos' 5v5 TOI/game: 169th

On top of other things, Trotz's loyalty to Orpik is killing this team right now and isn't doing anything to help Bowey's development. Orpik is essentially getting #3/#4 minutes at even strength despite literally being the worst defenseman in the entire NHL in several key statistical areas. In last night's game against the Lightning the Capitals were down two goals with 3 or 4 minutes left and Orpik for some reason got a shift (and took a cross-checking penalty to essentially end the game).

It'll be interesting to see if Orpik's ice time is slashed with Kempny in the lineup but I'm not banking on it.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Send an email to Ted with those horrific stats. I know the defensive guys post ugly stats since they don't shoot, no one scores with them on the ice, but those stats are not good. All on what is basically a 1st place team. We can't even carry him.

Thanks Ted

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If Coach Q is canned, there will be a race to see who can fire their coach the fastest to hire him.

Even if he became avaliable, I don't think they'd go for him. I feel like they're both way to slow and methodical in their approach and way to stubborn in thinking they have a winning formula. There's almost no doubt in my mind that Reirden will be our next HC, short of him choosing to go else where.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If they fire him they risk actually making a deep run with a new coach (say Sutter) like the Penguins did twice. But they're giant p***yes so they won't do that

Reactions: Holtbyisms

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think the problem goes a lot further than coaching. The biggest problem is management. A lot of failures over the past year. I'm not saying Trotz is the answer but you can only do so much with what you are given. We are definately struggling in the defensive zone and they add 2 borderline players with little NHL experience.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think the problem goes a lot further than coaching. The biggest problem is management. A lot of failures over the past year. I'm not saying Trotz is the answer but you can only do so much with what you are given. We are definately struggling in the defensive zone and they add 2 borderline players with little NHL experience.

Management certainly has questions to answer but Trotz had the best roster in the NHL two years running and did nothing with it. Trotz is the one who benched Schmidt for Alzner and Orpik last year. Trotz is the one who benched Orlov for Mike Weber and Tim Gleason the years before that. Management can't hand Trotz a near-flawless roster each season... it doesn't work that way.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
"Best roster" very debatable...they were flawed bigtime.

You don’t honestly think last years roster was one of the best they’ve ever had? It certainly was for the forwards and G. The D wasn’t as good as the late 80’s/early 90’s teams....but those teams had very little offensive firepower and mediocre goaltending, at best.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Did you send an email?

No, I stopped when he stopped the courtesy reply of thanks ted

I assume his old aol account still works but imagine its spam level has rendered emailing him useless, unless you are on the safe list.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Every roster is flawed in the salary cap -era.

I think our last seasons roster is only matched by the '09-'10 'Hawks one. And we all know what that roster won.

I think our roster has been and is still critically flawed....Good enough to win the regular season but exposed immediately in the postseason.

#flawedCore

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
How is that. Presidents teams are formidable. Its not like we vanish in the loffs - we make it to game 7.

What changes in the playoffs though. Facing the same opponent, mandates coaches to up their games - big time. Players certainly start performing more. Those that do that however, their coaches haven't gotten that out of them at all in the regular season. That comes down to coaching, and having to manage players sand bagging it all year and then flipping the switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If the wheels come off in the stadium series it could get ugly. It's a nationally televised game, you'll have an already disgruntled fan base but now they've been tailgating all day.

I can hear the "FIRE TROTZ" chants now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad