Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think Wilson is going to need to be a disruptive force. Not only should he be trying to wear down Werenski and Jones, but special teams play is a huge weakness of the Jackets and it might be beneficial to make the refs make calls. Even if it means Wilson is going to have to sit for some reputation calls. The longer this series is played at 5v5 the more it benefits the Jackets IMO. I'd rather see tons of PPs both ways.

Wilson has been terribad. No offense, dumb penalties, and zero direction. He's doing himself zero favours with regard to leadership and a larger contract.

He's been a big reason the team is down 0-2

And I really like Willy. UGH

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Replacing Trotz during the offseason is not the same as firing him. It’s choosing not to re-sign him at the end of his contract. If Mac wanted to really make a statement and maybe turn things around he should fire Trotz right now. That’s what I voted for in this thread anyway. Tell me that wouldn’t light a fire under these guys.

To me, Trotz seems great at managing the team - the personalities, the emotions, the preparation...but so stubborn in his ways. He has decided that playoff hockey has to be a certain way and is trying to ice a playoff-style roster instead of a Washington Capitals roster. Speed kills and by insisting on icing our plugs (some of them are decent plugs) Trotz is showing a lack of confidence in what got us here. Grubauer could have played better, sure but I sincerely think we are a better team with Orpik, Connolly and DSP on the bench.

I really like Trotz and the game we are trying to play but this is maddening. Put our best players on the ice!

Reactions: RandyHolt

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Should they? Yes. I've never been a huge fan of Trotz tbh. And, if they get bounced in the first round, the proof is in the pudding. Playoffs matter.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Replacing Trotz during the offseason is not the same as firing him. It’s choosing not to re-sign him at the end of his contract. If Mac wanted to really make a statement and maybe turn things around he should fire Trotz right now. That’s what I voted for in this thread anyway. Tell me that wouldn’t light a fire under these guys.

To me, Trotz seems great at managing the team - the personalities, the emotions, the preparation...but so stubborn in his ways. He has decided that playoff hockey has to be a certain way and is trying to ice a playoff-style roster instead of a Washington Capitals roster. Speed kills and by insisting on icing our plugs (some of them are decent plugs) Trotz is showing a lack of confidence in what got us here. Grubauer could have played better, sure but I sincerely think we are a better team with Orpik, Connolly and DSP on the bench.

I really like Trotz and the game we are trying to play but this is maddening. Put our best players on the ice!
The problem is. Who are our best players? We all have our own opinions but the coaches know more about it than we do. We obviously dont have the depth we had in the past and we have a lot of rookies and new faces. We have a handful of borderline NHL players in this roster.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Lol has a team EVER fired a coach mid-playoffs? Jeez we take the cake as a fan base.
This thread is from February, the majority of the recent posts are just related to not resigning him. What's worse than a dramatic fanbase is a hyperbolic one, I haven't seen any serious or significant push to bounce him mid-playoffs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This thread is from February, the majority of the recent posts are just related to not resigning him. What's worse than a dramatic fanbase is a hyperbolic one, I haven't seen any serious or significant push to bounce him mid-playoffs.

I’m betting 80% would be on board if he were fired prior to the game today. What do you say?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I’m betting 80% would be on board if he were fired prior to the game today. What do you say?
That's just rampant speculation. I think most of us who are ready for his tenure to end are not under the delusion that changing him out instantly would yield results. Again, it's hyperbole for the sake of seeming superior. "You guys are so crazy you're suggesting this thing that literally no one has suggested, I on the other hand am grounded."

Reactions: g00n

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
The problem is. Who are our best players? We all have our own opinions but the coaches know more about it than we do. We obviously dont have the depth we had in the past and we have a lot of rookies and new faces. We have a handful of borderline NHL players in this roster.

The answer is not Orpik. And Vrana belongs on the ice before DSP, Chiasson and Connolly (all of 4 of whom played well tonight). But mostly just not Orpik.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The answer is not Orpik. And Vrana belongs on the ice before DSP, Chiasson and Connolly (all of 4 of whom played well tonight). But mostly just not Orpik.
DSP just set up the winning goal. He played a solid game. Wish he could finish though. He had some good scoring chances.
Vrana also had a decent game. He was sheltered tonight. I noticed when that line was starting in the defensive zone, Stephenson would be in his spot.
Not going to argue about Orpik. He is OK at killing penalties but that's about it. Scares me every time he touches the puck.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't know if this is full blown eating crow, but I am definitely eating at least half a crow right now.

Trotz has been great. His game plan against the Pens was excellent. I dare say he out-schemed Sullivan. Holding the Pens to 2.3 goals per game is quite good. Even when the Caps had to switch out key players, the scheme held up. I feel like the Caps mostly dictated the pace of play, and this was a departure from years past.

Hats off to the man. Who else wants some crow?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't know if this is full blown eating crow, but I am definitely eating at least half a crow right now.

Trotz has been great. His game plan against the Pens was excellent. I dare say he out-schemed Sullivan. Holding the Pens to 2.3 goals per game is quite good. Even when the Caps had to switch out key players, the scheme held up. I feel like the Caps mostly dictated the pace of play, and this was a departure from years past.

Hats off to the man. Who else wants some crow?
Pass the Sriracha.

Still not sure I'd want him back. (Someone in one of the threads suggested that Rierdon (sp?) is having more influence on the team this year...) But the difference since mid-season is undeniable. He's got them playing a scrappy, smart brand of hockey, he made key in-game and in-series adjustments, and he got them over the hump.

Also good on GMBM for putting youth and speed on the menu and (I presume) "encouraging" Barry to try some.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think I could tolerate Trotz's lack of an intelligible offensive system if he comes around to emphasize speed in the lineup. Guys like Kuz and Backstrom can figure out enough of the offense if everybody else flies around at 100mph tilting the crap out of the ice, suffocating on the forecheck/backcheck, etc.

Trotz is a good guy, all the best to him. Very happy for him showing that he can get some success his way.

That being said, I'll always be in favor of getting an offensive genius, if/when such a genius becomes available on Amazon Prime.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think I could tolerate Trotz's lack of an intelligible offensive system if he comes around to emphasize speed in the lineup. Guys like Kuz and Backstrom can figure out enough of the offense if everybody else flies around at 100mph tilting the crap out of the ice, suffocating on the forecheck/backcheck, etc.
I prefer a defense first system.

Trotz is a good guy, all the best to him. Very happy for him showing that he can get some success his way.

That being said, I'll always be in favor of getting an offensive genius, if/when such a genius becomes available on Amazon Prime.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
The fact that it took injuries/suspensions for us to see the young speedsters (even then tried to play DSP/Chiasson over them) tells me he shouldn't be back. The game is changing and Trotz hasn't. If Wilson/Backstrom/Bura are good to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see DSP/Chiasson back on the top line and Vrana and Co. back to 3rd/4th line duties.

And also his defensive system sucks. How many times have we seen players stand around and look at pucks (which are well within reach) but instead opt to stand still and protect their spot?

Time to move on and get somebody younger who's in touch with the reality of the new NHL.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This guy could lead the Caps to the Cup and still get run out of town. Makes zero sense to me.

Just because they advanced with the younger players in the lineup doesn't mean they wouldn't have had nobody been hurt or suspended.

Trotz is a top 10 NHL coach, not sure what more you could ask for. Each and every coach in the league has something you could pick at.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The fact that it took injuries/suspensions for us to see the young speedsters (even then tried to play DSP/Chiasson over them) tells me he shouldn't be back. The game is changing and Trotz hasn't. If Wilson/Backstrom/Bura are good to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see DSP/Chiasson back on the top line and Vrana and Co. back to 3rd/4th line duties.

And also his defensive system sucks. How many times have we seen players stand around and look at pucks (which are well within reach) but instead opt to stand still and protect their spot?

Time to move on and get somebody younger who's in touch with the reality of the new NHL.
His defensive system was great last night. That's is how we should be playing all our games. But everyone wants goals. I could care less about scoring alot of goals. Top priority should be keeping the puck out if your own net.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
NHL XM guys were talking today about how Barry and BMac were talking in April and both sides were cool with letting it play out. Not a peep about retirement.

Beating Pitt increases the chance he is welcomed back, but may increase the chance that he doesn't want to coach next year.

Yes, that's a real pickle.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->