Should the Canucks regret trading Schneider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
While Schneider is amazing I don't think they should. Now they have Horvat and Miller instead.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
People seem to be glossing over the fact that it's been reported that Schneider asked for a trade. The reason as to why has been highly speculated, and getting into that here without any evidence could be libelous, but it's around the internet if you look.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Lack is a 1B now? Markstrom was a disaster and went from a hyped goalie prospect to a disappointment real quick.

He's rebounding strong on Vancouver's farm team with legit goalie coaching (don't think Florida had much for him) so give him a second chance in the NHL and he could turn out still. Now the problem for Vancouver is his 2-way waiver eligibility has passed and we aren't likely to slip him through waivers again, so with Miller stuck in place there's no way for us to hold onto both Lack and Markstrom. It's either going to be a poor trade return on either or lose the latter to waivers next season.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
People seem to be glossing over the fact that it's been reported that Schneider asked for a trade. The reason as to why has been highly speculated, and getting into that here without any evidence could be libelous, but it's around the internet if you look.

I'm doubtful, but the timing is important here. When Luongo asked for a trade and Schneider resigned with the Canucks he was probably expecting to stay here. When the Canucks couldn't complete a trade for Luongo and we were looking at starting a 4th season with both goalies still in place then that really wasn't a good situation for anyone. Not really a shock if at that point he wanted a trade, and doesn't really have much relevance to the rest of the overblown saga.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's not so much regret about trading Schneider as it is regret at how poorly everything was handled. If Schneider had been traded instead of being re-signed and Luongo had stayed, that would have been fine. But to hold on to Schneider just long enough to cause a controversy and end up having to trade both goalies away, it was like the worst possible outcome and just total mismanagement.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Would Canuck fans rather have Nurse or Horvat? It's a real shame MacT/Gillis couldn't get a deal done because Schneider is exactly the type of goalie we needed.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Would Canuck fans rather have Nurse or Horvat? It's a real shame MacT/Gillis couldn't get a deal done because Schneider is exactly the type of goalie we needed.
Horvat just because of the age of our forward group and the prospect depth at position was awful.

On defence, Edler and Tanev are still relatively young so we could get by.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
gillis ****ed up on the goalie conadrum. signed schiender to 3yr contract then traded him for horvat. i guess its a win-win? luongo was always gonna go back to florida no matter what. i would have been happy with schiender/lack combo.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The Canucks shouldn't regret trading him. At the time, they had two goalies and they probably doubted they would be able to get rid of Luongo. They did the right move to get rid of one of them. When the opportunity came to trade Luongo, what are they supposed to do? They can't say, "No, we already traded one of our goalies, so we'll keep Luongo and his entire contract." They got rid of Luongo as well. If they knew they would be able to trade Luongo, they would have kept Schneider. They don't know the future.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Loved Schneider. Really don't rate Miller, but without Horvat we would have had a big black hole in our "future roster" which we realistically never could have filled.

Long term I think it worked out fine. In Miller's last year we will most likely suck. At that point I expect Miller, Sedins and Burrows to significantly underperform their cap hits. However, come 17/18 the Schneider trade will most likely start to pay off.

At that point I would rather have Markstrom/Demko/Horvat than Schneider.

Actually come 17/18 I think the Canucks got a fair shot at being fairly decent again.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It depends on what Horvat and Demko amount to, really. Too early to judge imo

What does Demko have to do with it? They traded Schneider for the pick straight up and drafted Horvat. Demko has nothing to do with it.

The entire handling of the goalie situation was piss poor and, for most people, that's all they remember. If you look at it from a hockey perspective though, they were able to deal a real good young goalie for a pick which landed them a real good young prospect who looks to be the real deal.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I was horrified with the trade at the time, and am totally ok with it now. Personally, I don't think either team lost this trade. NJ have a really great goalie, and we have a great young prospect, and still have plenty of talent in net and our goalie talent pool.

Seems like it worked out for everyone, no?

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Also, FYI: Lou admitted yesterday that he'd probably still be a Canuck if Torts had played him in that Winter Classic game:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Matt Loughlin ‏@MattLoug 3m3 minutes ago
Since losing to Boston on 11/10, 4-2, Cory Schneider's GAA is 2.04, his save% is .929. #backinthegroove

Boss status, but he sucks man. Overpaid, who needs good starting goalies right ?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Matt Loughlin ‏@MattLoug 3m3 minutes ago
Since losing to Boston on 11/10, 4-2, Cory Schneider's GAA is 2.04, his save% is .929. #backinthegroove

Boss status, but he sucks man. Overpaid, who needs good starting goalies right ?

This. And tonight he shows why he was traded for by Lou. He keeps his teams in games.

DyerMaker66*

I wish every backup would ask for a trade when they don't start one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad