Should the Canucks regret trading Schneider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Vancouver is a goalie factory. Goaltending is the least of our problem right now. Could we have gotten more for Schnieder? Yes. Am I happy with Horvat? Yes. Goaltending is an area of strength for us.

Miller
Lack
Markstrom
Eriksson
Demko
Cannata

Maybe the best in the league.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Lol?

Pretty sure anyone who knows anything about hockey would rather have an elite goaltender like Schneider over a potential 3rd line center.

If the Canucks had Nichushkin I could see an argument being made, but even then so, Schneider should've never been traded.

Yeah Nichushkin is looking really good this year.....

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Yes, it is regrettable that we had to move Schneider.

It's regrettable that the trade market for unproven goalies was so soft.

It's regrettable that Florida's ownership situation was not amenable the Luongo trade at that time.

It's pretty cool that Horvat seems to be panning out.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Lol?

Pretty sure anyone who knows anything about hockey would rather have an elite goaltender like Schneider over a potential 3rd line center.

If the Canucks had Nichushkin I could see an argument being made, but even then so, Schneider should've never been traded.

Nuke had 34 points in 79 points with long stretches of first line minutes with Benn/Seguin and power play time

Horvat will probably finish somewhere in the 20-30 point range with bottom 6 minutes and no powerplay time but playing solid 2 way hockey and winning key draws

Not sure where this Nuke obsession came from but Horvat is having a solid 19 year old season

I like Nuke as a prospect but Im glad they took Horvat and took a big winger the following draft

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Vancouver is a goalie factory. Goaltending is the least of our problem right now. Could we have gotten more for Schnieder? Yes. Am I happy with Horvat? Yes. Goaltending is an area of strength for us.

Miller
Lack
Markstrom
Eriksson
Demko
Cannata

This.

The fact we've still got goalies coming out of our ***** seems lost to a lot around here.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Cory is one of the few reasons the Devils even have a chance to turn it around within 2 years. Horvat would have been a total bust on the Devils. Worked out for both teams. Hopefully the $30m cap space by the end of next season is put to good use. The Devils will probably be at least 5 years younger on average in the 2016-2017 season.

NYRangerFan*

Lol?

The point is that the Devils traded a 9th overall pick for a goalie that wouldn't help them now. Schneider is just getting older while the Devils get worse. Devils need some youth because right now they are the NYR from 2003. Old washed up players and no future except a few decent young guys but nothing special.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'd do the move again as a Canucks fan. Schneider is a good goalie, but this trade started the retool in Vancouver. Bo Horvat is built for the NHL, great two-way board player who's built like an ox. Never going to wow you but he's going to carve out a great NHL career as a real good 2nd line centre.

New Jersey got a a gamer in Schneider too, worked out well for both teams.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Lol?

Anyone that knows anything about hockey realizes Horvat's potential is much higher than a 3rd line centre. Just because a player is good defensively doesn't mean he'll top out a a 3rd line centre, this narrative needs to stop.

The Gourmet

Potage Le Magnifique
Aug 30, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Depends on if you think they have a chance of winning the cup in the next 5 years with Schneider on the team. Most people would say no, so might as well trade him when his value is high and get a comparable goaltender via free agency (Miller).

Schneider isn't a young goaltender anymore. Should be in his prime right now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There are only a few teams who need a #1 goalie or would be interested in such a deal and I doubt Schneider agrees to waive his NTC to go to any of them. Schneider will be 29 in March. People forget that he was a late bloomer. He isn't some 24yr old goalie just coming into his own. He is at the peak of his player career and will likely be long past his prime when NJ is able to compete with the top teams. Lou is/was a great GM in his day but I wonder if that Schneider trade was a bad move. There were other avenues to take to fill that position. Trading away a #9 pick which turned out to be Horvat for Vancouver was a bad move. My opinion though.

I have to strongly disagree with that statement. Now he certainly didn't have a Carey Price or MA Fleury development path, but I always felt he was ready to take over as an NHL starter in 2010-11 or 11-12, same way other goalies like Corey Crawford, Jim Howard, or Ryan Miller did.

Problem was Vancouver already had a top 5 goaltender signed long term in Roberto Luongo. 3 Year in the AHL was all the grooming Schneider needed, with maybe one transition year to the NHL. Only reason he spent so long as a backup in Vancouver is because Luongo was just too good for a young goalie to supplant so soon.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If I remember correctly most posters here laughed at the fact that Schneider only got the 9th overall pick.

Edit :http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1457913&page=12 - Seems like I was right though there were a surprising number of people who said it was a fair deal or even wrote that NJ got fleeced...

Reign Nato is correct but his timing was off by a year. At the end of the 2012-13 season people finally accepted that Schneider was a damn good goalie. Go back a year and you'd find the '2nd round value' evaluations. I recall a Dubnyk vs Schneider poll that was pretty even. Actually a lot of Leaf fans didn't think they needed to give up anything for Schneider, they could just offersheet him for 1 year and after Vancouver matched sign him as a UFA next off season.

That's something which is completely forgotten in all this. Only reason we even got Horvat for Schneider was because Gillis got him signed to a long term deal while Schneider was an RFA and only needed another season to be a UFA. Up until that point Schneider's value was up in the air. But Gillis got him signed, built up his value, then traded him for a top 10 pick. Yet because he only got the prime asset a 9th overall pick and didn't get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounders as well apparently he's an idiot and it was a horrible deal.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The only reason the canucks did well is because it looks like they drafted a legit player in Horvat, and did not **** it up

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Ummmm no. Not at all. He's an overpriced backup in a starters roll. But wouldn't mind having him as backup over Gustavsson.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Miller
Lack
Markstrom
Eriksson
Demko
Cannata

Indeed, context is always a nice thing. In this case it means that goalies is not a big issue. Markström and Eriksson might each turn out to be at NHL level and Läck will be a good starter within soon.

The option for trading Schneider would have been trading Läck, but it would have been an even worse trade as his value was low then and the potential bigger than what you would get for him.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Schneider is a darn good goalie.

Bo Horvat is a darn good prospect.

The Canucks are nowhere near being legit contenders for the next few years, and have a very nice stable of goaltending prospects (not to mention plenty of time to groom them, or acquire someone else if they don't pan out by the time we are ready to contend again).

In the meantime Miller has to be the guy to keep us competitive so our young guys aren't going to be in a constant losing environment while we are rebuilding/retooling. I wasn't (and still am not) a fan of the contract he was given, but I can live with it.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Both teams should be happy with the trade. New Jersey badly needed a legit goalie to take over after Brodeur. Vancouver lacked in the prospect pool. Especially forwards. Both problems solved.

Even if it´s even, I have to add I would be more happy in Vancouvers shoes than Devils regarding the trade. Schneider ain´t a elite goalie in the leauge. And the difference between the good/great goalies in the leauge ain´t that big nowadays. As other trades of that kind of goalies indicates. For me a top 10 pick in the draft is something I would not trade for a Schneider in todays leauge. Add that Vancouver is loaded with great goalie prospects, a couple of them ready for back up duty.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Indeed, context is always a nice thing. In this case it means that goalies is not a big issue. Markström and Eriksson might each turn out to be at NHL level and Läck will be a good starter within soon.

The option for trading Schneider would have been trading Läck, but it would have been an even worse trade as his value was low then and the potential bigger than what you would get for him.

Disagree. Markstrom's value has dropped so much that he just went unclaimed in the preseason.
Lack showed he wasn't close to being ready for a starting role. Don't know anything about the younger guys, so I have no comment. But there is no positive way to spin how the Canucks managed their goaltending situation. The only positive you can say is that it could have gone much worse if miller wasn't available this offseason.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Disagree. Markstrom's value has dropped so much that he just went unclaimed in the preseason.
Lack showed he wasn't close to being ready for a starting role. Don't know anything about the younger guys, so I have no comment. But there is no positive way to spin how the Canucks managed their goaltending situation. The only positive you can say is that it could have gone much worse if miller wasn't available this offseason.

Lack was played in something like 27 straight games, if he was deployed properly his play wouldn't have fallen off that much. At this point he's at worst a 1B.

Markstrom is having a tremendous "bounce back year" in the AHL, he's playing as good as he ever has.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Both trades need more time in the oven. It has to be known what player Horvat will turn out to be and if Markstrom bounces back to develop.

It was a crazy way to handle two of the leauges better goalies but I don't know that its fair to analyze a trade when two of the players barely have a handful of NHL games to go from.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Markström (and Eriksson), there where not even a possibility to put any of them at the table at the time. Läck is certainly close to the starting role, but not there yet. And that is about what I stated.

Lack was played in something like 27 straight games, if he was deployed properly his play wouldn't have fallen off that much. At this point he's at worst a 1B.

Markstrom is having a tremendous "bounce back year" in the AHL, he's playing as good as he ever has.

Yes, Lack was tested last season when it all was over and was ok-ish as a placebo-starter.

Yes, Markström is doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad