Should the Canucks regret trading Schneider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in 94

In Gillis I trust
Jul 21, 2007
Of course considering they traded Loungo a year later. Bo Horvats a stud though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Rather poor article given it just spins the same principle question over and over. At least try to insert an opinion in there, otherwise what's the point? Nevertheless, yes and no. I do not regret trading Schneider, but do regret the scenario that resulted in both he and Luongo's diminished value. Gillis never created a market for both goalies, insisting only Luongo was available. When we were forced to move Schneider to solve an obvious problem, everyone knew.

With the benefit of hindsight however, Bozak would have been great for us given the way he's playing.

DyerMaker66*

What problem was solved by trading the better goaltender and then trading the other goaltender?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Considering most Canucks fans didn't even want him traded... Um ya...

Having said that, Bo looks to be the real deal and they have Miller/Lack/Markstrom/Eriksson/Demko in the pipe-line.

We hated it, many still do, but it's working out OK so far all things considered.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
The whole way the Canuck's handled the goalie situation is hilarious... Unless of course you're a Canucks fan.

With that said I got to think life at this very monent life is a lot better for the Canucks, who are in the thick of playoff race, than for Schneider, who just signed a long term deal with a team that looks years away from being in the playoffs.

Last edited:

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I know hf is Schneider country, but Vancouver had several ways to deal with this. Nobody told Torts to bench Luongo from the Heritage Classic, which considering the fact that Luongo was already unsure he still even wanted to be in Vancouver, drove him to demand a trade. Finishing out the year with Lack starting backed up by Markstrom went badly, but after that, getting Miller was about the best way to fix the damage, and Vancouver's doing much better than the Devils team Schneider ended up on. I'm just glad Schneider's first year as a real starter has quieted the Schneider is a top 5 or top 10 goalie talk that dominated this place over the summer.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
People would have laughed it a Canucks fan asked for the 9th overall pick in the draft for Schneider. Most posters "wouldn't pay more than a 2nd round pick" at the time. Bo looks pretty good in the NHL at 19.

HF...

If I remember correctly most posters here laughed at the fact that Schneider only got the 9th overall pick.

Edit :http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1457913&page=12 - Seems like I was right though there were a surprising number of people who said it was a fair deal or even wrote that NJ got fleeced...

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
If I remember correctly most posters here laughed at the fact that Schneider only got the 9th overall pick.

Edit :http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1457913&page=12 - Seems like I was right though there were a surprising number of people who said it was a fair deal or even wrote that NJ got fleeced...

That's because people harp on Vancouver for anything they do, they didn't realize the goalie market is awful for goalies in Schneiders spot
Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks
Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder
Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder
Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder
Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders
Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron
Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder
Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder
Brian Elliott for Craig Anderson
Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart
Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz
Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder

Anyways didn't read article (because it's twopadstack) The real kick to the pants is if Booth wasn't injured he could have been bought it and allowed Van to keep both goalies another season to workout the Luongo deal

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Bo Horvat is going to be a real great player for Vancouver and emerge as part of the new core for probably the next 10-12 years. Schneider is a great goalie but Vancouver's window closed 2 years ago. It was time for them to start putting pieces in place for when the Sedin's are gone. Which is looking more and more likely as sooner rather than later. The Canucks have some great goalie prospects coming up through the system but had very little in forward prospects. Schneider would have been wasted in Vancouver much like he is in NJ. Schneider is a great goalie, no doubt, but with out a team in front of him it really wouldn't matter. Most of Vancouver's key guys are past their prime and Horvat fits in perfectly with what they needed to do. I think it was a good trade for Vancouver. Bo Horvat is the real deal and at only 19 I expect we will be seeing and talking about him for years.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Exactly my point:

Prior to the deal: "Unproven. Worth a 2nd round pick."

Time of the deal: "They could only get the 9th overall pick?!? LULZ!" or "OMG wut was Jersy thinikign? LOL Lu Lam is old."

Now: "Bad return but maybe Bo can be good and mitigate the pain a bit"

Wait a month, it will be different. Such is the nature of HF Boards...

Love

Feb 29, 2012
In the long run I think Vancouer will probably be the winners of the Schneider trade.

I don't think goaltending will be an issue for the Canucks in the long run (knock on wood). Lack, Markstrom and Demko should be enough to provide solid goaltending in the future.

Players like what Bo Horvat should become are tough to find. He's not going to be a premier offensive player but he does so many things well.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Miller's been a bit inconsistent, this season, but I doubt the upgrade in Schneider would affect their record all that much.

Vancouver still has one of the strongest goalie pools in the NHL, so they were trading from a position of strength. They have a very capable goaltender in Miller, a solid back-up/future starter in Lack, and Markstrom, who is playing very well in Utica. And Demko looks like a stud too. They're not hurting between the pipes and they still managed to get Bo Horvat out of it, who I think will be a very good two-way 2nd line center.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014

Before the deal though, if you suggested an "unproven back up goalie" is worth a first it would have been laughed at.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
they would have if they didnt end up with ryan miller

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not sure why most people forget about Joacim Eriksson when talking about the Canucks system. That kid is looking like he's going to be a real good goalie for them and most scouting reports are very favorable. Goaltending was never a position of weakness with the Canucks even below the NHL level whereas forward prospects were. The Canucks have nothing to regret. Replace Miller with Schneider and removing Horvat doesn't improve the teams chances. In my opinion it makes them a worse team.

NYRangerFan*

They robbed NJ. Horvat is a solid player and will only get better.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
In trades such as these the team that gets the quality player wins the trade for 4 -5 years and then the team who got the high end draft pick wins when that player develops.

The Canucks got Ryan Miller who is 90% as good as Schneider so I would argue its worked out great for them as Horvat at 19 is already an NHL regular on a good squad.

The Devils unfortunately have done nothing with Schneider. He was 27 with an excellent contract when he first donned the uniform. Now he is nearing 29 with a 7mil dollar 6 year contract starting.

27 year old 4mil dollar Schneider is worth far more than the 29 year old 7mil dollar Schneider.

Vancouver has come out way ahead on this , but at the time of the trade it was fair for both sides. Too bad the Devils couldnt get a contending team in front of him.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The real damage done by Gillis was the optics of his tenure. He reduced a team still in contention to rubble. A great deal of the goalie fiasco was done by the owner. Schnieder was never intended to be the starter in front of Luongo, witness his lack of NTC. He played better than a sulking Lu and forced the issue. Then, Lu sulked some more and called his sweetheart contract down publicly! He had to go.

Did the team mismanage Schneider? Yup. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad