Should the Avs play Makar this year?

Should the Avs play Makar this season

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Was joking tbh. But I still don't want to hear the reaction from the crowd that tends to jump to conclusions.
You say you were joking but I still think there is a possibility that Makar himself will not want to be thrown into the middle of a playoff series. The way he thinks and has made decisions in the past it has always been about what is best for himself and then the team. Coming in and doing poorly will not be very good for him because being in the playoffs I'm sure he knows he will be sitting almost entirely unless he proves he can handle it. It might not be a good look for him and his confidence. When you come in with a few games remaining in the regular season the coach is more willing to give you a chance and time to adjust. Not the case usually in the playoffs. He might just want to wait until the TC to have much much less pressure to be the guy everybody expects. And if he takes what is best for the team at heart (which would not be out of character for him) he might decided to stay exempt from the XD and help the Avs protect another very good players.

That said I do expect him to join the team this weekend unfortunately.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You say you were joking but I still think there is a possibility that Makar himself will not want to be thrown into the middle of a playoff series. The way he thinks and has made decisions in the past it has always been about what is best for himself and then the team. Coming in and doing poorly will not be very good for him because being in the playoffs I'm sure he knows he will be sitting almost entirely unless he proves he can handle it. It might not be a good look for him and his confidence. When you come in with a few games remaining in the regular season the coach is more willing to give you a chance and time to adjust. Not the case usually in the playoffs. He might just want to wait until the TC to have much much less pressure to be the guy everybody expects. And if he takes what is best for the team at heart (which would not be out of character for him) he might decided to stay exempt from the XD and help the Avs protect another very good players.

That said I do expect him to join the team this weekend unfortunately.
I hope you are right. I don't see the upside of him playing a couple of games in exchange for expansion draft protection myself.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Makar is not The Reason that the avs are winning this series; that is a disingenuous argument. It may also not be "some depth player" by that point.

All that said, I think a lot of us were tempering expectations in anticipation that the hype ended up being hyperbolic. Lots of unknowns about transitioning in so quickly. As it turns out, the dude is a beast. We stand happily corrected

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Almost 60% wanted the Avs to ice an inferior team in the playoffs and possibly lose the series because Compher, Z or some other depth player would be exposed :eek:
The issue is a little more complicated than that.

I didn't want him to play if we didn't have a shot at winning the series.

Once it became obvious that we did, I was happy to have him in the line up, and he's been amazing.

Once he gets it together, he will be a game-changing defenceman, and if we make the second round, we'll be a lot better off with him, than without.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I am loving seeing play in this series. He is absolutely a gem to see but he is not the reason we are beating the Flames. At this point I'm still in the asset management side regarding this call by Sakic. So far I still think it was the wrong decision to bring over this year. That said if we win the next round it will be totally worth it and I'll have no problem saying I was wrong. I still maintain it was some kind of audition for Makar for Sakic to see if he is already ready to replace Barrie and use Barrie to bring help at FWD if FA doesn't go well.

Regardless of my opinion I am really enjoying what I'm seeing from him. I knew he would be great but we have a heck of a player on our hands.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
The guy is definitely one of the best young defensive talents I have seen in a long time. He has the defensive skills of a top notch D and so young. The offense that he provides is just a plus. Like the others have said he is not the reason they are beating the Flames, but he is exciting to watch and is helping out.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
First of all, most likely Makar and his agent wanted to burn a year off the ELC and it's hard for Avs to say no. Even if the risk is very small, you don't really want to get off on the wrong foot with a foundation piece.

Secondly, Girard going down left Sakic and Bednar with no real choice (given that Makar was already more or less signed). Can't use a Barberio that hasn't played since Jan 21st and Graves, while a nice surprise, is a #7 at best. No one knew this when the poll was started.

Thirdly, since the expansion draft is two years away many have a hard time seeing what might happen and thus ignore the potential risk. So it's easy to say "so what if we have to lose one of Zadorov or Compher". What if Compher at that point is a 55 point two way beast and Zadorov is a #3? Is it still a so what situation?

Of course every sane Avs fans want to see Makar play. The kid's going to be a fantastic player. That's not the issue. The issue is that the expansion draft might be more uncomfortable than many here want to admit and any time you don't have to protect a stud, it's a massive bonus.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
First of all, most likely Makar and his agent wanted to burn a year off the ELC and it's hard for Avs to say no. Even if the risk is very small, you don't really want to get off on the wrong foot with a foundation piece.

Secondly, Girard going down left Sakic and Bednar with no real choice (given that Makar was already more or less signed). Can't use a Barberio that hasn't played since Jan 21st and Graves, while a nice surprise, is a #7 at best. No one knew this when the poll was started.

Thirdly, since the expansion draft is two years away many have a hard time seeing what might happen and thus ignore the potential risk. So it's easy to say "so what if we have to lose one of Zadorov or Compher". What if Compher at that point is a 55 point two way beast and Zadorov is a #3? Is it still a so what situation?

Of course every sane Avs fans want to see Makar play. The kid's going to be a fantastic player. That's not the issue. The issue is that the expansion draft might be more uncomfortable than many here want to admit and any time you don't have to protect a stud, it's a massive bonus.

I get worrying about the future but at some point you have to care about the present.

Be in the moment.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I get worrying about the future but at some point you have to care about the present.

Be in the moment.

EXACTLY! I think people need to think not so much about just winning the Stanley Cup. It is a main goal of any team but certainly not the most important. So many teams have not won the cup in our lifetimes and some fan bases will never see their team raise the cup in their whole lives possibly.

The purpose of sports IMHO is to be entertained and receive enjoyment or 'joy' from it. So the big picture thinking should not just be winning the cup, it should be how do we balance everything and provide the most joy to the fan bases and to the players. You need to keep the players happy if they are going to want to play for you and give everything they can. That is all you can ask of your players.

Everyone has watched losing teams play before I am sure. For me I don't care so much if they are losing if I can see the effort that is being put in. If they try their best and lose then so be it, I will be entertained and feel like I got my moneys worth.

Did you see how happy Makars teammates were for him when he scored his goal? Landeskogs response was priceless. The fans reactions were also priceless. Those reactions alone were worth one expansion protection spot. The decision to play Makar signals to the players and the fans that they are here to win now and will do what they reasonably can to make that happen. They did not go and make a bunch of deadline deals in order to go for it. They played their prized rookie who they wanted to play last year. When management feels that they are more ready I am sure they will be willing to trade some futures for veterans.

Playing Makar gives the fans and players hope and from my perspective a lot of JOY. Who knows the Av's may not win the cup for another 50 years, but as long as they are trying their best then that is all you can really ask for.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's easy to say that playing Makar is the right option now, but really the stars aligned to make it a no brainer.

If Girard never got injured, who do you take out? You can't run 11 forwards/7 defenseman in the playoffs for a prolonged amount of time. So that means you take out someone like Zadorov or Nemeth, both have been playing very solid hockey and it's a slap in the face to whoever gets benched. As good as Makar has been, he's getting sheltered minutes and favorable O-Zone starts. All of a sudden it means we need to play Girard/Makar/Barrie in the D-zone more and we really had no idea how Makar would transition. Can you imagine if any of those three were in EJ's position where he blocked a shot on the PK that was half an inch away from his head? Any of those three it would have either nailed them in the head, or very well could have led to a goal.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Bednar must have a lot of trust in Makar already as well since he said the lineup will likely stay the same regardless of the status of Girard and Brassard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad