Proposal: Should Tampa go after Johnny Oduya?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We would obviously have to dump Carle or move some people around, considering he'll probably get a decent chunk of money from a desperate team in free agency. But I think he would be a great pick up and replacement for Carle and solid 2nd or 3rd pairing guy. He's 33 now and would probably want to go to a contending team.

Thoughts?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Even if we wanted him...it ain't gonna happen. He already has the hardware...he probably wants the payday. Don't see it happening at all. The pipeline of prospects is staggered perfectly right now on the left side. Carle - then Nesterov - then Koekkoek - then Masin. All two years behind each other in development.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Only if a miracle happens and we can move Carle without retaining any salary. Then maybe.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Agreed and there's better options than Oduya if looking outside the Organization. I wouldn't lose my wig over it but he'd be next to last on my wishlist

Really? I'd be pumped if we got him. Who's #1 on your list.

I don't think he's going to make too much money considering his age, he'll get overpaid but I don't see him getting a big pay day contract. At this point tho anyone is better than Matt Carle..

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We need all top 6 D making over 4.5 million so we definitely should, Sekera as well, maybe Erhoff and Martin if their demands are high enough.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Try to move Carle to Boston, Sweeney doesn't look like he knows what he's doing. So we probably could get a first and no retention out of him.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Really? I'd be pumped if we got him. Who's #1 on your list.

I don't think he's going to make too much money considering his age, he'll get overpaid but I don't see him getting a big pay day contract. At this point tho anyone is better than Matt Carle..

First off, no one who comes close to making $2M+ on new contract. Which would most definitely be in the Oduya range. Oduya just came off a $2.825M salary contract ($3.375M cap hit).

Seeing how Hedman, Stralman, Coburn, and Garrison make up the top 4, if Yzerman does somehow move Carle I'd prefer that the 5-7 slot vacancy be filled from within the Org. Because, after the top 4 you have Carle, Sustr, and most likely Nesterov making 7 D total if Carle doesn't get moved. I'm not entirely comfortable having $2M+ sitting in the 5-7 slot (Oduya) when there's only about $4.9M in cap room now (providing Carle stays). And for future cap implications, again, if Carle does get moved I'd like the flexibility of more cap room, thus filling the void from within.

My wishlist is one that doesn't have someone making (or could make) $2M+ unless its along the lines of a no-brainer top 4 acquisition which would push down either Garrison or Coburn. So unless unloading Carle is a definite and Yzerman looks to do just that and goes after a top 4 acquisition, my other wishlist is way more conservative.

To me a Jamie McBain, Mark Bartkowski, or perhaps even Volchenkov seem intriguing to me. Guys that are (feasibly) in the $700K-$1.25M range. That depending on term, and so on... which is why I'd prefer again to hopefully move Carle and filling in by internal promotion.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Phaneuf plays the right side, we should trade someone on an ELC for him.

The phaneuf contract would stink but to be honest that's a move that puts us over the top! Dion plays the right side that bumps coburn to the 3rd pairing. Trade sustr and carle for Dion make leafs retain 1.5 per year for Dion. Throw in jt brown for that trade also.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The phaneuf contract would stink but to be honest that's a move that puts us over the top! Dion plays the right side that bumps coburn to the 3rd pairing. Trade sustr and carle for Dion make leafs retain 1.5 per year for Dion. Throw in jt brown for that trade also.

You're getting traded to another fanbase this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad