Should Rogers Centre serve beer in plastic cups?

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
Too bad, I guess, if beer lines are slowed down while the servers pour.

Nevertheless, a full plastic cup thrown from the 500s is still a dangerous projectile.

Maybe they should install draft fountains next to the seats, so you can't throw anything. :sarcasm:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

This.

I also loved hearing Harold Reynolds' constant whining about the boorish fans throwing "beer bottles" from the 500's.

There are no beer bottles at the Rogers Center, Harold. Plastic Coke bottles, sure, but it wasn't raining glass bottles from above like you seemed to think. :laugh:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The issue is selling them in the upper levels of stadiums where they become projectiles.

And the multiple idiots who throw them.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Too bad, I guess, if beer lines are slowed down while the servers pour.

Nevertheless, a full plastic cup thrown from the 500s is still a dangerous projectile.

Maybe they should install draft fountains next to the seats, so you can't throw anything. :sarcasm:

Hell, with all this talk of increased protective netting to keep the balls from injuring fans, how about a second net encircling the entire upper deck, to catch all projectiles? :laugh:

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, you tell Labatt that they can't sell their cans (advertisements) at games.

Why is this an issue? Can't the big breweries provide plastic cups with their logos on them? Like they did in the past, before 2011?

Why would I need to tell them? Couldn't AGCO order it under threat of revoking the alcohol license? If it turns out that anyone was seriously injured, isn't this a possibility?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why is this an issue? Can't the big breweries provide plastic cups with their logos on them? Like they did in the past, before 2011?

Why would I need to tell them? Couldn't AGCO order it under threat of revoking the alcohol license? If it turns out that anyone was seriously injured, isn't this a possibility?

You can't go to the beer store (or wherever sells alcohol) and buy cups of beer. It's in a can or a bottle. People see other people drinking cans of beer on tv and say, hey, I could go for a can of beer right now. It's all marketing. AGCO would never revoke the Rogers Centre's alcohol license, lets be real here.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yes but only in Toronto as it's only ever happened in Toronto.
This.

Why is this even turning into such a huge issue? It's not like this is common. I've been to dozens and dozens and dozens of games since I was born and have never seen a beer can/cup thrown at the Skydome/Rogers Centre. Last night was an isolated incident. If it continues, then maybe it's worth the discussion.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
You can't go to the beer store (or wherever sells alcohol) and buy cups of beer. It's in a can or a bottle. People see other people drinking cans of beer on tv and say, hey, I could go for a can of beer right now. It's all marketing. AGCO would never revoke the Rogers Centre's alcohol license, lets be real here.

Is this an issue in Canada or something? I never have trouble knowing what beer I'm drinking if it's in a plastic cup at a game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is this an issue in Canada or something? I never have trouble knowing what beer I'm drinking if it's in a plastic cup at a game.

At the Rogers Center, tallboy cans of Bud and Bud Light are specially designed with Blue Jay logos. My guess is there's more of a push to sell those cans, either in the concourse or by the seat vendors, than there is to serve beer in a basic plastic cup. It's all beer and it'll get bought either way, but brand recognition counts.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The last thing I would want while wearing a white jersey is a bunch of drunk people forced to carry around draft beers.

Toronto dry cleaning economy has won a victory here.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The last thing I would want while wearing a white jersey is a bunch of drunk people forced to carry around draft beers.

Toronto dry cleaning economy has won a victory here.

If I was able to drink all the beer accidentally spilled on me in Game 3 I would have been sufficiently buzzed for the evening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->