Should public funds be used for Space exploration?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Before I start let me say I'm biased that I think yes public funds should be used for space exploration.

The reason I ask is, there was a poster on another forum, who felt that public funds, which were earmarked for space exploration, should be used for research into cures for diseases and things that affect humans on earth. He felt that spending money on space exploration was just pouring public funds down a black hole with little benefit to mankind.

I can think of a few inventions intended for space are currently used on earth, LED lights, Digital imaging used in CAT scans, insulin pumps, the rumble strips on highways.

What are your thoughts on how space exploration helps man on earth today or thoughts on how it is just a waste of money?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Title and poll are asking two different questions with inverse answers, just FYI. Probably not the best idea :laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I can think of a few inventions intended for space are currently used on earth, LED lights, Digital imaging used in CAT scans, insulin pumps, the rumble strips on highways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

Lots 'o stuff.

For more than 50 years, the NASA Technology Transfer Program[1] has connected NASA resources to private industry, referring to the commercial products as spin-offs. Well-known products that NASA claims as spin-offs include memory foam (originally named temper foam), freeze-dried food, firefighting equipment, emergency "space blankets", Dustbusters, cochlear implants, and now Speedo's LZR Racer swimsuits. As of 2012, NASA claims that there are nearly 1,800 other spin-offs in the fields of computer technology, environment and agriculture, health and medicine, public safety, transportation, recreation, and industrial productivity. Contrary to common belief, NASA did not invent Tang, Velcro or Teflon.[2]

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The cost of sending Curiosity to Mars and running it for one year was 700 million dollars, according to Mark Adler, NASA JPL System Engineer and Project Manager. This number is a minuscule sliver in America's budgetary spending and has tangible benefits for the public, as listed above by LS. I don't see why a small amount couldn't be taken from something such as, say the Defense budget which was an estimated 600 BILLION dollars, and be directed towards NASA that has innovated products that directly help humankind.

As a Canadian, I would like to see our country was even moreso involved in space-related activities and innovation.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yes, public funds should be used for space exploration.

Yes, increased public funds should be used to fund combating disease and researching other things that will directly and immediately impact society.

Those things should not be mutually exclusive.

Space exploration isn't just valuable because of what we learn of our universe, or because we learned better rocket tech, but rather it has value in the same way blue skies research has value. It forces scientists to research things which are not immediately commercially viable which greatly expands the realm of progress and potential viability.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How is this a question?

Should everything in life be motivated by whether or not it is profitable?

Nevermind that NASA is one of the best investments the US can make in terms of return.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I voted yes and I cringe when people say they want to decrease funding.

Just goes to show the lack of understanding about the role science plays in our society now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
For every dollar the US government taxes you, 0.6 cents goes to NASA.

The government in one day spent more money on the TARP bank bailout than NASA has cumulatively gotten in its entire existence.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
NASA's budget should be doubled or tripled immediately if people were smart. And every other country should be contributing in some way. Lots of the resources we fight over are just sitting out there. Not too mention the side benefits of the technology. I can't believe when people argue against space exploration.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
NASA's budget should be doubled or tripled immediately if people were smart. And every other country should be contributing in some way. Lots of the resources we fight over are just sitting out there. Not too mention the side benefits of the technology. I can't believe when people argue against space exploration.

Frankly, in a perfect world, military and NASA budget would be flipped.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm sure there's a balance as to how much public money they should get, but I'm in no way qualified to say what that balance should be. But yes, they absolutely should get public money, and I expect should probably get more than they already do.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If we leave space exploration solely to the private sector, very bad things could happen. All kinds of hypotheticals regarding ownership claims, responsibilities to share findings or valuable-minerals with terrestrials, and establishing universally accepted standards for conduct and accountability. There's a place for private-endeavors...but the government absolutely must be involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad