Should Pittsburgh just sell everyone at this point?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Serious question here.

- They have super young Juju and Connor to build around.

- Roethlisburher is getting up there in age.

- Bell's on his way out already.

-AB seems completely out of it this season.
- They're more than likely not making the playoffs anyways.

So why not pile up picks for the next draft and go to the free agent route to fill the remaining holes?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
You don't build around a wide receiver or running back.
I could of kept going with Watt and Dupree, their offensive line, etc.

And because it's the NFL and not the NHL (as said by m9), the rebuild can be done way quicker since these guys come in light years more ready for the big show.

I just think it's the best thing they could do for the future.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
This isn't hockey, major sell offs don't happen in the NFL.
Agreed, but how many teams have you seen in the last 20 years that resemble to what's going on in Pittsburgh? Is it that bad for a team to be proactive for a change?

Look at Seattle no later than today, they just wasted an opportunity on getting an extra 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I could of kept going with Watt and Dupree, their offensive line, etc.

And because it's the NFL and not the NHL (as said by m9), the rebuild can be done way quicker since these guys come in light years more ready for the big show.

I just think it's the best thing they could do for the future.

Any type of change starts with the GM and coaching staff.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed, but how many teams have you seen in the last 20 years that resemble to what's going on in Pittsburgh? Is it that bad for a team to be proactive for a change?

Look at Seattle no later than today, they just wasted an opportunity on getting an extra 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas.

They're 1-2-1.

Should the Colts sell Hilton and Luck? They're not going anywhere.

Who should they trade Ben to?

Reactions: Voight

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They're 1-2-1.

Should the Colts sell Hilton and Luck? They're not going anywhere.

Who should they trade Ben to?

This is why the "sell off the big pieces" idea won't work in the NFL. Unlike NHL draft picks, NFL draft picks hold way more value. Also it's pretty easy for hockey players to move freely throughout the year because every team plays a similar system. The NFL is a completely different animal.

Reactions: Voight

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ben has a season left ,maybe two.He would probably retire rather than be traded.

It's just crazy how people overreact to things. If the Bengals don't get a last-second win over the Falcons and the Steelers can get by the Ravens yesterday, they are in first place in their division.

The AFC is wide open this year, counting any contending team out at this point is dumb.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Serious question here.

- They have super young Juju and Connor to build around.

- Roethlisburher is getting up there in age.

- Bell's on his way out already.

-AB seems completely out of it this season.

- They're more than likely not making the playoffs anyways.

So why not pile up picks for the next draft and go to the free agent route to fill the remaining holes?

1. You don't build around a good WR and a decent runningback with only 4 games to his credit.

2. As long as Ben can play they'll be potential contenders.

3. Meh.

4. Only 5 WR's have more receptions than AB. Only 3 WR's have more TD's. He gets the most attention on the field, so it's not exactly easy for him to get open. He's not been able to break a big play, but he's only 1 big catch away from being around #15 in yardage.

5. How can you say they're likely to miss playoffs...? It's week 4, They're 1-2-1. They've got 3 division games coming up in the next 4 weeks.The AFC North is pretty open right now.

When you have an elite Quarterback, elite WR, and the elite Offensive line that Pittsburgh has you don't just sell everything and re-build. The defense isn't exactly the Steel Curtain of the 70s, but they're not far off from being a pretty good defense. Not to mention the giant fan-base that expects a win-now type of effort.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Teams aren’t giving up draft picks in the NFL like they do in the NHL.

Also as previously mentioned, the salary cap is a convoluted mess that discourages trades.

And on top of all that, trying to jump into another team’s system mid year is not easy at all.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If they win their next game they're 2-2-1. The Browns and Bengals aren't exactly juggernauts and the Ravens don't look exactly invincible (nice defense though, for real).

Besides that, the first month of the season is rarely indicative of what happens at the end, especially when you're talking about perennially/traditionally good teams going south. If I had to guess, I'd say their worst case scenario is 9 wins which isn't exactly terrible and could sneak you into the playoffs.

Reactions: m9

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Roethilisberger may not been in his prime anymore but hes still a solid QB who gives them a good chance top win every single game. Its not exactly easy to find another franchise QB; the Browns have been trying for 18 years, it took the Saints forever to get one, took Steelers 20 years to replace their's (Bradshaw).

They have one of the easier divisions in football and I am no doubt Tomlin will get them back on track.

Reactions: m9 and Rodgerwilco

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That division isn't looking easy anymore.

Browns have a legit QB but arent a challenger yet, Cinci is doing their typical 10-6 or 11-5 one and done season and B-More is doing good now but I really don't see them holding up the rest of the season.

Its not the AFC East but I dont think itll be too hard for PIT to win it.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Ravens defense is one of the few elite units in the league. You do know 11-5 is a good record right? Probably better than what Pittsburgh will finish with.

Reactions: Josepho

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I agree that the division is tougher this year. No elite team but all 4 can compete.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think if Bell goes it might cause a reset for the Steelers. Big Ben is 36 too so his best days could be behind him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad