Speculation: Should penalties drawn be a recorded stat?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Listening into the after game radio show and hearing that Perron wasn't one of the three stars and that really annoyed me.

Drew three penalties and scored two points. If he hadn't drawn those penalties we wouldn't have gotten onto the PP and the momentum of the game would have been totally different.

Shouldn't this be a recorded stat?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Yep! It's essentially ~0.15 to 0.20 goals plus 2 minutes of virtually no offense from the other team.

It's absolutely huge for the team. I guess it would also be important to make sure that coincidental penalties aren't recorded as being drawn.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's a very important stat. It's like walking/stealing bases for baseball. It doesn't directly get you a point (unless he steals home), but it gets you much closer to it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
There would be a lot of noise associated with the stat.

And it would glorify divers like Dustin Brown.

Not really in favor of it being an official stat.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's definitely recorded somewhere, just not by the NHL.

I remember Hall and Skinner both led the league in their rookie year (until Hall got hurt.)

Not sure where you would find the stats now though.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
There would be a lot of noise associated with the stat.

And it would glorify divers like Dustin Brown.

Not really in favor of it being an official stat.

I see where you're coming from, but there aren't a ton of guys exactly like Dustin Brown.

I wonder if arbitration judges give a damn about this stat. If they did then maybe goals and assists wouldn't be as important and maybe overnight PPG players aren't worth 7 million dollars.

If such a stat were recorded, Datsuk would probably be making 11M per year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Absolutely. Not only is that a prime opp for your team to set up and get shots. It kills two minutes of the game were the opponent is relatively unable to attack.

It would encourage diving tho

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Absolutely. Not only is that a prime opp for your team to set up and get shots. It kills two minutes of the game were the opponent is relatively unable to attack.

It would encourage diving tho

Yup but

1: 4 on 4 hockey is entertaining.
2: League to hand out stiffer suspensions for diving.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So eberle has the best ratio, but Perron has drawn the most penalties. Interesting. Thanks a lot!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad