Proposal: Should Nill look to trade for 2D or 3D high +/- LHD?

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
Our defense has been better this season, and a lot of it I think has to do with his system and finally having a defensive minded d-man in Methot. When I watch the games this year I keep having the feeling that if we acquired one more high +/- it might have a positive ripple effect on our core. Hamhuis was brought in to be this and Oleksiak might have that upside but they aren't producing that right now.

Right now, I don't feel Hitch has the confidence in a player other than Methot he can pair with a negative +/- player to balance out their risk taking/puck moving play style.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Unless its a rental for this season we don't need a left handed dman. Heiskanen should be nhl ready by next year and take over hamhuis role on the team and hopefully move up and take methots spot in 2 years when his contract is finished.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
For LD we have Methot and Lindell that Hitch trusts and can lean heavily on. Hamhuis looked rough during his first few games but seems to maybe be finding his groove. Regardless Lindell and Methot make up our top 2 LD and the way Heiskanen is playing this year he should probably be that 3rd LD come next year.

So it would have to be someone on a 1 year deal that is better than Hamhuis and Oleksiak. Because of that I think we stay put and hope that either Hamhuis settles down (remember it took him about a month last year to figure out a new system) or Oleksiak steps up at 3LD and takes over. I really dont see a need to make a trade for D man right now

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
For LD we have Methot and Lindell that Hitch trusts and can lean heavily on. Hamhuis looked rough during his first few games but seems to maybe be finding his groove. Regardless Lindell and Methot make up our top 2 LD and the way Heiskanen is playing this year he should probably be that 3rd LD come next year.

So it would have to be someone on a 1 year deal that is better than Hamhuis and Oleksiak. Because of that I think we stay put and hope that either Hamhuis settles down (remember it took him about a month last year to figure out a new system) or Oleksiak steps up at 3LD and takes over. I really dont see a need to make a trade for D man right now

I hear you, totally. And I think that's why he won't make a move; but, I think if you don't want to rush Heiskanen to the NHL (even if he is on the line of being ready). Getting someone on a 2 year deal wouldn't be the worst thing; plus if you do want Heiskanen in the NHL you can slowly integrate him like they are with Honka.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I think both Heiskanen and Bayreuther can be ready as soon as next year (maybe even this year for Bayreuther). I don't think there is a pressing need to fill a 3rd pairing void.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I hear you, totally. And I think that's why he won't make a move; but, I think if you don't want to rush Heiskanen to the NHL (even if he is on the line of being ready). Getting someone on a 2 year deal wouldn't be the worst thing; plus if you do want Heiskanen in the NHL you can slowly integrate him like they are with Honka.
The way Heiskanen is playing right now he should be in Dallas this year. If he keeps up this pace or hell even if its drop by 30-35% its still plenty to show he has 0 need for the AHL next year and affter getting used to the larger ice he should probably be filling a top 4 role next year

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think every time Honka bobbles a puck, Hitch tells Nill to keep Miro in Europe. I don't think he has the patience with the younger D men, at least not enough to have Lindell year 3, Honka year 2, and Miro as a rookie. Even Johns would be no more than year 4, and clearly still a work in progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad