Should NHLers play in the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanucks

Apr 25, 2003
Rogers Arena?
It seems that every third thread here is turning into a debate over whether or not NHLers should be in the Olympics. I personally can't imagine Olympic hockey without the NHL, but it seems that a lot of people feel otherwise.

So, what do you think: Yes or no.

I say yes.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
I'm not voting. If you love European teams, you'd vote "no"--since most of the North American talent is in the NHL (and there are some great Euro players in the Euro leagues). Moreover, most North Americans would be in their late teens or early twenties. The Euros could virtually put up anyone they like from their own nation.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I voted yes. Even if Canada did suck this time around, today's game was friggin awesome and you don't see that caliber of play very often.

That being said, I heard an interesting idea today. There may difficulties I'm unaware in pulling it off, but this was basically it: If after 2010 the NHL stops sending players to the Olympics, every 4th year replace the World Juniors with the Olympics. I personally think it's a good idea. The World Juniors are one of my favorite times of the year, and it would be in keeping with the 'spirit of the games.'

thefiestygoat

Jan 28, 2006
NJ & Tennessee
I voted Yes because the Olympics are supposed to include the best athletes at their respective sports. Although this debate is like beating a dead horse now. We all have our opinions, neither right nor wrong.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I don't like Olympic Hockey (at least in Winter) since each team is somewhat handicapped. The World Cup should be the means by which the international hockey team is crowned, or else put Hockey in the summer games (which seems quixotic, since it IS played on ice). With the current system, too many players are injured (Forsberg (not 100%), Naslund, Niedermayer). If the games were played in the summer, or else the WOrld Cup were used (played in August/September), then each team could ice its best team, where every team would have the same amount of time to prepare, so on and so forth. The Olympics occur at a bad time for NHLers, just as the World Championships do. I just want to see each team with its best roster and no injuries or excuses to prevent it.

japanman

Jul 6, 2004
Back in Edmonton Yo!
no pros please

I voted no because I dont think the way the olympic tournament is set up is good for any one. In order to have a best team on best team tournament you need to have a 10 day to 2 week training camp. To have most of the players fly in 27 hours before the first game after crossing between 6 and 8 times zones is no good for anyone.
I think that during an olympic year junnior players should have a training camp during christmas when they normaly would have the world champ. tournament and then in Feb they play in olympics. It would serve the olympic movment better the players in the NHL better and would be better hockey for the fans.
Now saying that we need to have mens world cup. I think that it should take the place of the world champ. every 4 years and be held about one month latter so that the stanly cup is finnished and so that players can have a 2 weeks off before having a proper training camp with their nat. teams. If you had it durring the summer we can have a better format also, I hate single elemination for hockey, the quarter finnals should be a best of 3 and the semis and finnal should be the best of 5.
I think this way would be better for every one, including the fans.

Balej20*

Every single time a thread is started like this, the results is basically an even split between yes and no.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Yes, I wouldn't nearly have the same interest in the Olympics if it were junior or college players because of the skill level wouldn't be nearly as high. These are the best players in the world and they've given us another great tournament. This was a great idea for the NHL to participate in the Olympics. Amateurism is dead and 1980 will never be duplicated so let's just sit back and enjoy the best collection of hockey players on the planet compete for their countries.

Habsruleen

Jul 28, 2005
Take the pros out of it and I'll have the same interest in the olympic tournament than I would the Spengler Cup; namely none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad