Should NHL Teams Play On Christmas?

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
By "Christmas" I mean the days around and including Christmas where the teams don't play.

I personally don't think they should, but am willing to play devil's advocate for this, because I think an interesting case can be made here.

You see, although it's become more generic and commercialized over the years, and often referred to simply as "the holiday season," its origins are in fact specific to a particular religion - and not everyone in the NHL and not everyone who follows it belongs to that religion.

Furthermore, saying "they simply need a break" can be seen as somewhat insulting to those who actually have to work year round and are lucky to get Christmas off - as opposed to NHL hockey players who get months off in the summer, are very highly paid and very pampered as well, being driven to wherever they need to play, being provided with food, and so on. They don't exactly live hard lives, compared to most.

And, of course, there are simply NHL fans who would love to see games while they're relaxing during these holidays, and advertisers willing to pay big bucks to reach them. So an opportunity to promote the NHL brand more here - and make more money - is being lost.

Remember, I'm playing devil's advocate here, so calling me the grinch isn't going to work... ;)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Even if they did, they wouldn't be able to touch the US ratings for NBA.

And that's the only reason they'd do it. There really isn't a need to drive interest in Canada for hockey that they'd have to do a "Christmas Hockey Day in Canada"

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
No, a lot of players have families and it would suck for their kids to spend Christmas without their dads (and vice versa of course).

I don't think Christmas is necessarily a religious thing, it's also celebrated by people who are atheists but just happen to share certain cultural tradition.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Besides the fact that hockey players live a life arguably harder than the average person's (work almost every day, having to stay in shape 365 days a year, lots of travel, extremely high pressure, and so on), I clearly say no. I wish I could watch hockey today, but I don't wish anyone that they have to play during this time.

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
Even if they did, they wouldn't be able to touch the US ratings for NBA.

And that's the only reason they'd do it. There really isn't a need to drive interest in Canada for hockey that they'd have to do a "Christmas Hockey Day in Canada"

But what about in the States? Not everyone there prefers basketball over hockey, and they're not even being given a choice.

They don't have to beat the NBA in ratings for the NHL to be successful here, anyways.

And I do think basketball being played on Christmas shows there is an appetite for sports fans during those days, and it's not being met by the NHL.

This all being said, I think the majority of people who disagree with the position I took here (as devil's advocate) probably celebrate Christmas themselves (not that there's anything wrong with that), and this is probably coloring their opinion.

hockeyfanOU812

do you feel in charge?
Mar 27, 2014
No

That said, Merry Christmas HFBoards

Homer-as-Santa-578x450.jpg

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Even though it would be cool, you have to think about the players and the management. They are humans too

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Even though it would be cool, you have to think about the players and the management. They are humans too

And all the people who would have to work at the arenas, extra police, extra public transportation workers, just about everything that goes into a game night. Talk about ruining a lot of peoples days.

Hell no!!!!!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And all the people who would have to work at the arenas, extra police, extra public transportation workers, just about everything that goes into a game night. Talk about ruining a lot of peoples days.

Hell no!!!!!

Exactly....it isn't just the players that have to play.

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd say no, if there was a home game today I would likely need to sell my tickets for family obligations, I'm sure I'm not alone.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
No, I like that the NHL has the Christmas break. I have lots of hockey DVDs and mp4s if I need my fix, but there's usually enough other stuff to do. Soccer (EPL at least) has nothing on the Day, but Boxing Day games are a tradition.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Furthermore, saying "they simply need a break" can be seen as somewhat insulting to those who actually have to work year round and are lucky to get Christmas off - as opposed to NHL hockey players who get months off in the summer, are very highly paid and very pampered as well, being driven to wherever they need to play, being provided with food, and so on. They don't exactly live hard lives, compared to most.

It can only be seen as insulting to those going out of their way to be insulted. These people need not be listened to.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Yes they should, it would be great to have one feature game a year on Christmas. Either do it mid-day, or in prime time.

Also I don't think the NHL is "scared" of getting lower ratings than the NBA, considering they chose to always schedule the Winter Classic on a day where much higher viewership college football games are being played.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No. It's a family holiday, let the players, coaches, management, owners, police, arena workers, and everyone and anyone else associated with running a game have the option to spend it with their family. The holiday spirit is all about caring about others, not being entertained by them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->