Should NHL find a way to finish 2019 season and award Cup

Should the NHL finish the 2019 season this summer if possible?

• Total voters

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If the COVID-19 new cases numbers are in sharp decline and the NHL thinks they can fit it in along with all the other crap that comes with the off-season, then they should go for it! If they can't, it may be better to just have a lost season. It wouldn't be the first.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe? Can't see it being done in the usual fashion, though. Needs to be shortened, and would have to be done in a few remote locations, with no crowds. The days of congregating in close quarters by the tens of thousands are done, until we get a vaccine to C-19.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For the sake of revenue and the sake of our lottery chances I hope they skip straight to the playoffs. Depending on when they start, I’d be fine with best of 5 throughout the playoffs, with maybe the finals being best of 7, time permitting. Then, if you can finish that in August, have the draft immediately after, and the UFA period begin immediately after the draft. That way, training camp can still start in September.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I don't think the owners were really serious about playing in August. They are serious about holding everyone's money for as long a possible.
Shouldn't surprise anyone. With how much cash is on the line you can't fault them for literally getting their moneys worth.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t see how it makes sense. They’d have to be comfortable with the fact that people are going to get this thing. Even with no fans in that stands, players are still going to be exposed to it. They’d have to be comfortable saying, “catch ya in 2 weeks” to the players when it happens, and they’d also have to be comfortable letting everyone exposed to that player keep playing. Making things more complicated: Minnesota hasn’t even begun to peak yet. The stay-home order has pushed back the peak until the summer. I don’t know how you could ethically play the game if states aren’t on the down-swing.

I would be shocked if they found out a way to play this year. Their goal should be figuring out a way to play next season, but looking at things right now, I think there’s some chance next season has a somewhat altered landscape.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I voted 'no' only because I don't see how they can do it while so many cases are still breaking out. As soon as one team has someone(s) test positive and need to be quarantined, the whole schedule falls apart and it is shutdown again.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
While I would like to see the NHL somehow figure out a way to salvage what remains of the season, I just don't think it will happen.

Until testing can get where it needs to be, I'm doubtful that even next season's games will start on time.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
By the time this actually opens up, and they get the players back into the country. Then their minimum 14-day quarantines. Then practicing and getting their legs back on ice. Then play 1-2 scrimmage games. Then to start getting the playoffs up and running...it'll be mid July, which means the playoffs probably go until the end of August. This throws off:

Draft
Free Agency
Tendering trades/picks has to be completely delayed due to the ongoing season

And the season is supposed to start with training camp the beginning of September.

Just call it a day and refund people their money.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think they will try to finish the season and playoffs in 4-5 states this summer, in areas with less virus. Minnesota has been mentioned, along with Iowa, Dakota's, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri. Televised, but no crowd. So they won't need rinks with a lot of seats.

Question is whether or not the clubs and players want to do this...if they have a choice. Good thing is there will be no Olympics, so they don't have to compete for television rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad