Should Marner's next contract be similar to what Nikita Kucherov is getting?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Its amazing how many people know exactly what was offered to what player and when it was offered. They also know the response of the players agents to the (imaginary) demands. Why do we even need Dubas, when we have HF Boards.
we need an actual trigger man. The knowledge of the collective far greater than any one person. But in the end the one person must present the deal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Once Matty and Marner sign their deals we will be at the CAP next season. The real issue is getting Kappy signed too unless Marleau is moved out.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well then what happens if we don't have cap space but we want Kappy on team but can't pay him til following year. Can he sit out the season and then come back the following year? or loan him to a KHL team for 1 season.
Perhaps you aren't being serious but Kapanen is not going to be sat for a year or sent to the KHL.
They'll figure out the cap.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well then what happens if we don't have cap space but we want Kappy on team but can't pay him til following year. Can he sit out the season and then come back the following year? or loan him to a KHL team for 1 season.
It isn't pretty. He would likely have to go in a trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Odd are Gardiner walks on July 1st and is replaced by a cheaper option via a trade.

Which would give the team sufficient breathing room capwise.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Perhaps you aren't being serious but Kapanen is not going to be sat for a year or sent to the KHL.
They'll figure out the cap.
I went on capfriendly and set up team for next year retaining Matty Marner and Gards and put in lower than expected CAPs for all 3 and there was no room to add Kappy. even with an increased CAP to 83M. something is wrong here. maybe team is not planning on resigning gards. something has to give here or kappy must play in khl for a season. once marleau comes off then no problem following year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I went on capfriendly and set up team for next year retaining Matty Marner and Gards and put in lower than expected CAPs for all 3 and there was no room to add Kappy. even with an increased CAP to 83M. something is wrong here. maybe team is not planning on resigning gards. something has to give here or kappy must play in khl for a season. once marleau comes off then no problem following year.
I think Gardiner likely walks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Gards goes then no issue to resign Kappy but we have to bring up a couple kids to play defense next season. Assuming Hainsey is long gone and retires. I hope Dermott is ready.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
The Marner Jar – All Deposits Sent To SickKids Foundation

I know not everyone is a big fan of Steve Dangle (Steve Dangle Glynn (@Steve_Dangle) | Twitter) but I thought this would be a good place to drop this if it hasnt happened already.

It started as a joke, that every time Marner had a good play or insane goal and people talked about how it would affect the contract they would need to pay a 'sin tax' like a swear jar.
One of his podcast fans made a website, and it has raised almost $5000 for the Sick Kids Foundation to build a new hospital.
I dont know if this site has every done any fundraising or if its allowed to post, but I pledged to chip in $1 dollar for every Marner point this season.

Thanks!
P.S. I think he signs for Kucherov money +-500k. Depends on the rest of the season and how the team does in the playoffs. A 1st round exit hurts Matthews and Marner, anything past the 2nd round and they will be swimming in hundies for life!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Best thing about this this thread is seeing comments from people who hated the Marner pick and stated the Leafs made a horrible mistake now saying he's so good he's going to get paid too much and the Leafs should have signed him earlier.
But Noah Hannifan guys! Provorov!!!! We don't have a #1 D. We need a #1 D.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The guy cant even make the allstar game..but sure, he deserves kuch money
:sarcasm:

Players often have Performance bonuses in their ELCs that earn then money for being named to the All-star game, so for Matthews with will cost the Leafs and for Marner they may now be saving $$.

ELC Schedule A - performance bonuses include:

(viii) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)
(ix) NHL All-Star Game MVP

Schedule A bonuses (max $850,000): $212,500 for any of the following achievements - top 6 forward on team in ice time (total or average per game, min 42GP), 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, 0.73 points per game (min 42GP), top 3 forward on team in +/- (min 42GP), All Rookie team, All Star game, All Star game MVP.

So, if I want to make sure a top draft pick forward does earn his max bonuses, It might include to award him the max $212,500 for 35 assists, the NHL All-Star game appearance etc,

However in terms of Marner's next contract had he made the All-star team, his demands on his next contract would have included that argument by his agent on his value, particularly had he beaten out AM or JT from the Leafs who are expected to earn more than him.

Silver lining for Leafs/Dubas as that might save the Leafs a little cap hit by the Marner snub by the All-star selection committee, eliminating one of Marner's bargaining chips.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He schooled Dubas, getting 10.2 this year, and 7 the rest of the way...we all know the Leafs are in tough as Marner plays this well.
That's just how the money works when you sign late in the season. Can't see Marner getting the same contract as Matthews either.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's just how the money works when you sign late in the season. Can't see Marner getting the same contract as Matthews either.
It will be close, very close....time will tell. It's a pleasant problem to have. But there is only so much $$$ to go around. Tough decisions ahead...they struggled with Nylanders agent...the other two agents are licking their chops. Stay tuned.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He schooled Dubas, getting 10.2 this year, and 7 the rest of the way...we all know the Leafs are in tough as Marner plays this well.
Who cares about 10.2 million? That actually helps our cap.
WE will be doing that a lot, so get ready. It gives us an advantage over most teams in the NHL.

That 10.2 million and 8.3 million bonus on July 2nd makes his contract REALLY attractive to budget-conscious teams.

How is that being "Schooled"? Dubas wants it that way.

Nylander was worried about being traded...well he signed a contract that makes it very possible.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylanders agent also wanted 8,5 per. How did that turn out?

Pretty good for Nylander as he is getting $12 mil this 1/2 season (minus $2.77 mil in lost wages for late start) and gets a $8.3 mil signing bonus on July 1st and takes home $9 mil for the season.

year #1 = $12 mil - $2.77 mil (lost wages) + year #2 = $9 mil .. By the time this year + next are compete Nylander will have earned $18.23 mil in real money.

Nylander wanted real money in his bank account and not too concerned about AAV #'s. His agent delivered including make up for lost wages and sitting out.

The reason the $8.5 mil became a 6 year $45 mil ($7.5AAV) because the $8.5 mil ask was for 8 years and now Nylander took 6 and only gave up 1 year of UFA status and not 3. With Nylander reaching UFA status 2 years earlier he is banking on himself that in those 7 & 8 years his #'s will be a lot more than the $8.5 mil ask now.

With Marner I would also expect a lot of $$$ up front and big yearly signing bonuses like Nylander's agent got him, and Marner also might take 5-6 years and not 8 for the same reasons as Willy.

Willy got 6 years $45 mil and Marner might end up with 5 years $45 mil ($9.0 AAV). Pretty close to Kucherov's $9.5 mil AAV. This might be the only way for Dubas to keep Marner < Kucherov.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->