Flyers' History: Should Mark Recchi be inducted into Flyers Hall of Fame?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Please refresh our memoris... BS meaning Bull Sch!t, Broad Street... or what?... Are you guys by any chance speaking of the Bill Barber Coup?
Yup. Back Stabbing Rat Bastard....the nickname that was given to him after he threw Bill Barber under the bus. While he wasn't the only on that did it, he was by far the most vocal about it

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Yup. Back Stabbing Rat Bastard....the nickname that was given to him after he threw Bill Barber under the bus. While he wasn't the only on that did it, he was by far the most vocal about it

It was believed... IIRC... that he and Primeau took the fall for the entire, or nearly entire Roster who were all greatly upset about Barber's failure to practice and work on Offensive deficiencies, most notably the PP.

Rex and Primeau were the leaders and I believe most veteran... it is said that they stepped up without throwing their Teammates under the bus... But who really knows the truth? It is interesting when you think about Clarke taking the their side and firing such a good friend and longtime Organization fixture as Barber was... which leads me to believe that Clarke wasn't too keen on what was going on there... But we all know the feeling about how it is easier to fire the Coach than the entire Team... I don't recall if they offered Barber a 'Promotion' Position or just flat out let him go... Clarke off Ice was just as cut throat as he was on the Ice... although he was Family oriented to a fault. The entire situation was odd... and there had to be more to it that we probably will never know.

I'd welcome and appreciate any help on my memory here... or opinions.

JMO

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he didn't have such success in Pittsburgh I'd say yes for sure. I think is the only thing that would keep him out for me. He played his best hockey here, at least from a PPG standpoint and he played here longer than anywhere else.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It was believed... IIRC... that he and Primeau took the fall for the entire, or nearly entire Roster who were all greatly upset about Barber's failure to practice and work on Offensive deficiencies, most notably the PP.

Rex and Primeau were the leaders and I believe most veteran... it is said that they stepped up without throwing their Teammates under the bus... But who really knows the truth? It is interesting when you think about Clarke taking the their side and firing such a good friend and longtime Organization fixture as Barber was... which leads me to believe that Clarke wasn't too keen on what was going on there... But we all know the feeling about how it is easier to fire the Coach than the entire Team... I don't recall if they offered Barber a 'Promotion' Position or just flat out let him go... Clarke off Ice was just as cut throat as he was on the Ice... although he was Family oriented to a fault. The entire situation was odd... and there had to be more to it that we probably will never know.

I'd welcome and appreciate any help on my memory here... or opinions.

JMO

So this was years ago...2001? I was in my mid-teens and the internet wasn't what it was. I got most of my info from message boards and mIRC seeing as though I live in Ontario. I know there was a divide among the fans. Flyers fans had/have a huge bias towards anyone that played for the Flyers in the 70s and then went on to work for the organization, much like everyone sided with Clarke at the time back when he feuded with Lindros. So my assumption is that many people sided with Barber for the same reasons, which is why I remember the "BSRB" nickname for Recchi.

I'm sure there's got to be people here that have more info about this

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Oh wow, I never heard this before. That could be a problem, although they forgave Lindros so who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->