Should Marchand be suspended?

How many games would you suspend him for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is that a short joke? :sarcasm:

Ha yeah, knowing Marchand, I'd say that's 100% on purpose. Good catch. He's probably lucky for his own sake that he didn't connect. If he had swung and hit Hyman up high, THAT would have been suspension worthy. As things stand tho, nothing suspension worthy in this thread IMO.

Pretty damn reckless with his stick work tonight, the whole sum of his night isn't pretty. Having seen Kessel get 3 games for a similar baseball swing I kind of scratch my head now. It is playoffs though but Kessel did not have a history when it happened.

Either way just having watched that a bit on twitter/my phone earlier the frame rate was slower and I was like uh...did he swing??? If it did connect to Hyman's head though yeah that is definitely a rest of the series type suspension, maybe longer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
0 because nothing that you've shown me is suspendible. Marchand does enough stupid shit that is suspendible, and he'll probably do it at some point during the playoffs. This is literally the last player that you need to reach on like you have in this thread.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There is enough there to suspend him for 2 games. The problem is no single incident breaks the mark 1 game mark and the NHL doesn't hand out 1/2 or 3/4 game suspensions and tends to favour doubt when they feel like it. The stick swing, the swing on the way down from the hit and the baseball slide in particular deserve attention. I don't think he contacted seriously with one swing, and not at all with the other swing and the slide has too much "accidentally on purpose" doubt.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Pretty damn reckless with his stick work tonight, the whole sum of his night isn't pretty. Having seen Kessel get 3 games for a similar baseball swing I kind of scratch my head now. It is playoffs though but Kessel did not have a history when it happened.

Either way just having watched that a bit on twitter/my phone earlier the frame rate was slower and I was like uh...did he swing??? If it did connect to Hyman's head though yeah that is definitely a rest of the series type suspension, maybe longer.
Definitely reckless. The swing at Reilly wasn’t great either, but the area he targeted (thigh?) wasn’t going to do any real damage. This play tho, if he had caught Hyman up high, could have been really bad. My first thought was Duncan Keith on Coyle a couple years ago:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200w.webp

Nazem? Is that you? Shouldn't you be laying low?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Last I checked.... intent to injure is a serious offense.
Yep. Half the reason Kadri got suspended is intent to injure. 2-handed slashes have already been shown to be worth 3 games in non-playoffs so worth 1 playoff game, and then there's trying to hit a goalie's head with the butt-end of your stick. Kadri largely missed contact, so did Marchand on the butt-end, I see no reason for this to not get 2 games or more if we're going by the Kadri standard.
You're reaching.
Not at all. Two-handed slashes have already been shown to be suspension worthy. And that's only 1/4 plays shown.
0 because nothing that you've shown me is suspendible. Marchand does enough stupid **** that is suspendible, and he'll probably do it at some point during the playoffs. This is literally the last player that you need to reach on like you have in this thread.
How is this a reach? Honestly re-watch the intent to injure Andersen, realize it was using his stick to aim for a goalies head, and tell me that's not suspension worthy. And as said before, two-handed slashes are already proven to be suspension worthy.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How is this a reach? Honestly re-watch the intent to injure Andersen, realize it was using his stick to aim for a goalies head, and tell me that's not suspension worthy. And as said before, two-handed slashes are already proven to be suspension worthy.
Butt end? Intent to injure? Now that is some serious reaching. He doesn't even contact Andersen with his butt end, he contacts him with his glove and its completely obvious that he did it to annoy Andersen because he was getting cross checked in front of the net. You know the rat type of thing he does all the time getting in extra shots by trying to disguise them as him getting pushed or knocked into someone.

Yeah two handed slashes that are actually vicious with intent and better placement. He swung at his shin pad because Rielly cross checked him. And guess what, Rielly attempted to "two-handed slash" him as well.

This board really is turning into an asylum.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He's a scumbag. Doubt any comes out of it though.

And no doubt in my mind that tackle on Johnson was intended. He just does not get the benefit of the doubt considering his long history.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Looks to me like he was crosschecking the goalie not butt ending. It was a glove to the helmet, and not a particularly hard one. Classic "Oh no I've been crosschecked into the goalie" Pesty Rat 101 play from a rat but that's not a suspension.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

Call me crazy but when Marchand is going down does he try to swing his stick at Hyman?

I need a slower GIF, this was probably a poor one to use.

I don't think he's that smart to turn every scenario into an accidental cheapshot. But if anyone can perfect it, Marchand is the guy.

If he doesn't get himself suspended and takes out players with plays like that, Marchand has more intangibles than Toews

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Leafs are a bunch of wimps. Only fitting Marchand bullies them. Nobody but Kadri could stand up for themselves. Marchand wouldn’t do this to a team like Tampa, Columbus, Pittsburgh, or Philly. Actual teams that would make him pay for it. Or most from the West for that matter.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Van Riemsdyke, Reilly, etc. Bunch of softies.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
League will not do anything about this POS... why do players not take matters into their own hands, is it because there are no enforcers left?

Surely a team could call someone up for a game or two, to take out this pest to the game of hockey we all love. nobody wants to see their favorite player injured by this sack of s***

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I get upset when I see guys skate a long way to deliver a headshot or take out someone’s knees. Those have to go. They can ruin careers and more. The rest just doesn’t register. These things Marchand does are generally cheap and irritating but - at least from what I’ve seen - not particularly threatening. I may be missing something but these hits that are being discussed here don’t seem like much. I even had a look at the Duclair hit and it wasn’t really - in itself - so bad. Bad result as Duclairs skate got stuck. But otherwise he just seems like an agitator extraordinaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->