Should Leafs make the playoff - Which player elevates their game?

Brozak

i scoreded a goal
May 30, 2009
Kitchener, ON
I've noticed in previous seasons, there was always that one guy on most teams that stepped up huge in the playoffs despite a sub par regular season. Players like Danny Briere, Dustin Brown, Alex Burrows, Brad Marchand, Max Talbot, and Dave Bolland have shown they've got that extra gear and aren't afraid to use it.

YES. I know, it's not official we are in the playoffs but humor me a bit here. HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, which Leaf do you think will be one of our 'surprise' performers in the post season?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This year's MONSTER performer for the Leafs in the playoffs? I'll guess that it might be Grabovski. He's got a good shot at it . . . he's an all-heart and soul player; he has underperformed; and we've all seen what a high skill level he possesses when he is extremely motivated. I bring you back to his signature game a couple years back against Boston . . . basically squished/knocked out by Chara, comes back like a demon to get the game winning goal. And to top it off, he's a fairly longtime Leaf by this current team's standards, seeing the playoffs will be like sweet smooth rum on top of his ice cream.

Darkhorse playoff stalwarts?
Kulemin; Frattin; and although he's been fantstic for us, I think McClement could actually become a top two in scoring guy during the playoffs for us, feasting on third and fourth line match-ups.

Brozak

i scoreded a goal
May 30, 2009
Kitchener, ON
I'm not voting until that X follows the team name in the standings.

Aaaaand thread derailed!

I understand, brother. This is premature, but I couldn't help myself. I'm excited and anxious about the coming month as most of us are-- this team is too good to miss the playoffs (IMHO).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

I'm also not voting until we clinch a spot. :shakehead Too many things can go wrong that can see us fall out of the race. See Lupul injury thread for example. :(

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Aaaaand thread derailed!

I understand, brother. This is premature, but I couldn't help myself. I'm excited and anxious about the coming month as most of us are-- this team is too good to miss the playoffs (IMHO).

I'll definitely vote if/when we're there. Great question, though. Hope we get to find out.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bias viewpoint in me says Grabovski.

He'll look at the stat sheet at the end of the regular season, get really angry, and then pull a Ville Leino in the playoffs.

allyb

Feb 19, 2004
wishaw, scotland
I went for Kuli as the play offs are where the little things become important and hes just a beast at doing the little things right - Kuli / Grabo / Komarov are going to be beast mode together :handclap:

we also need Reimer to go into another mode if we going to make progree but i suppose thats a given :nod:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Man, do you live the rest of your life in constant fear of something bad happening as well?

We're making the playoffs. Come on board early and enjoy the ride, it's been a long time coming.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Frattin, Kadri, Gardiner.... I have slightly higher expectations for those apart of the Marlies playoff run last year

Hologram

Jan 19, 2013
I voted Kuli. He's the type of (usually) unsung hero you win playoff games with. He seems to be stepping up lately as well, and I expect that will continue straight through to the playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We are 99% in the playoffs, so not sure why people are still afraid.

I chose other, for Jay McClement. I know we all like him right now, however I think we will see another side to him in the playoffs. It's a gut feeling mostly.

Runner up is Grabo. As much as I am ready for him to move on (mainly for cap reasons), he just seems like a playoff guy.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
What's with all the pessimists around here?? We ARE going to make the playoffs!!!!!! We have full ownership of 5TH place in the east. We would have to completely bomb and have 4 other teams below us go on a streak of beastly proportions in order to leapfrog us. Go take your TUMS and relax. We are in the playoffs. Stop worrying about it. I know its long time coming but come on people enjoy the rest of the regular season which is no more than a formality at this point.

Remember Ottawa is dropping, Carolina, Philly and buffalo are pretty much out of the running Where is our competition? Who is going to knock us out of a playoff spot??

WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!
GOOOOOOOOOO LLLLLEEEEEAAAAFFFFFSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So, just thinking out loud here, but if we can beat the Rangers tonight, and both Montreal and Boston lose tomorrow, and then we beat Montreal Saturday, we would have a good shot at the division if we play well down the stretch.

My math has us at 2 points out if those 4 games go in our favor. If we want any of them not too, it is Boston beating the Islanders

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I have a feeling that Kessel would also step it up.

Once in a while his line is buzzing in the offensive zone, getting scoring changes. It's then where we see Kessel actually use his body once in a while and win battles for the puck.

I think we might just see more of this overall when the games matter as much as the playoffs and the atmostphere is buzzing.

Unless we play boston.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I voted other I know it's a cop out but how about every player elevate thier game.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Kessel - he was absolutely lights out as a kid while in Boston
Phaneuf
Kadri
JVR
Lupul
Komarov - I can just imagine him with 10x more intensity in the playoffs (if that's even possible)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->