Should Ilya Kovalchuk be inducted to the HHOF?

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
That's not shockingly low at all. It's (a) a small sample size, and (b) in the dead-puck era. For that era, it's quite good.

Again, Kariya was one ONE POINT away from leading his team in scoring when they went to the Finals in 2003. The leading scorers, Oates and Sykora, had 13 points in 21 games. This was the height of the DPE, when a team scoring 2 goals per game like Anaheim could make the 7th game of the Finals.

As for not playing a lot of playoff games, that's what happens when you enter the League on a 2nd-year expansion team. The Mighty Ducks missed the playoffs in 6 of Kariya's first 8 seasons. But in their first-ever appearance (1997), they went as far as, say, Alex Ovechkin has so far in his entire career (with Kariya scoring 7 goals in 11 games). In only their third time to appear in the playoffs, they made the Finals and nearly won it all.

The Predators did kinda crap-out quickly, however, in the 2006 and 2007 playoffs, I'll give you that...
Jus because he was 1 point off leading the team in scoring doesn't make it anymore impressive.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
We all saw him play and I think we all can agree that he was HHOF-calibre. But is his career enough? I'd like to argue it is.

Olympic Gold
Olympic MVP
Maurice Richard Trophy
WHC Gold (including GWG)
WHC MVP (the same year)
816 games and 816 pts in the NHL
Five top-10 finishes in points
Awesome career back home in the KHL with 298 games and 327 pts. Two Gagarin's and a Gagarin MVP.

Brain says "not a chance". Then brain is reminded of some of those who are in the Hall who shouldn't be allowed in without a ticket (unfortunately, that is a long list). In other words, it's so easy to get into the Hall of Fame that it would not surprise me one bit to see him there.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
NHL.com - Stats

Leo Boivin: -212
Howell: -152
Federko: -131
Hawerchuck: -98
Gadbsy: -62
Bathgate: -60
Housley: -53
etc....

Maybe some of those had their prime before the nhl started recording them, but there is some -100 type career in the Hall.
A more pointless stat could not be used for this debate. Hawerchuk, for example, played on a horribly defensive team in the highest scoring era in history.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
marleau would be by far the worst inductee... kovalchuk would only be arguably the worst. unless he does something amazing in his comeback.

also this thread is the first i've ever seen time on ice held against a player...

it's too bad that 1) kovalchuk was always on bad teams and 2) never really rounded out his game (which might follow from 1—just being the go-to guy on offence, more or less off the hook in terms of defence, leadership, whatever). makes him hard to figure out in historical terms, whereas it was very clear at the time that he was one of the most entertaining and talented players in the league for a bunch of years, an ovechkin-like toolbox and only a shade less effective at his peak. just watched his highlights from i think 2007 again, lots of one-timers but also great stickhandling, nifty dekes, breakaways. not just one of the best shots in the league but one of the best one-on-one and carrying the puck up the ice.

in terms of hall of fame as of right now he's probably out. but a couple years on what should be a great LA team and maybe he makes it.

i remember LA was really gunning for him in 2010 when he ended up re-signing with new jersey. thought he would've been a great fit next to kopitar. guess we'll see now.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Kovalchuk wouldn't be anywhere near the worst. There aren't many guys with scoring records like him who aren't in and if he stuck around in the NHL instead of going off to the KHL he'd almost certainly be a no brainer. Marleau I don't like as a choice, although I think he's inevitable now, but he's more the regulation bad induction you get pretty frequently.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I have high hopes for his return to the NHL. If things turn out well for him he should be a lock.

He could arguably retire today and have a very good shot at making it. A successful NHL return should cement that

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Kovalchuk has to average just under 28 goals per year over the course of this 3 year contract to hit 500 in his NHL career and just over 61 points to hit 1000. Both are do-able for a player of his caliber. Those are great numbers nowadays own their own, but then you factor in his time in the KHL on top of that and I think you have to say the guy is a HOFer. He has 582 professional goals as of right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad