Advice: Should I take a break and if I do...

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Hi folks,

In 2021 I am planning on competing in the World Masters Games for golf. I have a high handicap so if I want a shot at winning or even placing in the top ten I need to get it down by about 20 strokes. I play hockey in the lowest league around and am not a very good player. In fact I am probably the slowest on the team. I rolled my ankle and knee last game so am right now on the IR and am wondering if I should take a break next year to get ready for 2021.

I really don't want to stop playing and have come a long way since I started skating 12 years ago. I have accomplished a lot, I've scored a few goals and once and a while make a good play. I dont want to lose the team aspect, but might need to focus on one sport to avoid injury and not have my thoughts split between the two sports.

So there's the situation. What do you think should I take a break for a couple seasons and focus on the golf or keep playing both? If I do do you think I'll lose the skills I have or do you think I'd be ok? Also any advice on how to break this to my team and convince them to take me back in 2021-2022?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
A lot of this depends on you and what you think you need to do to get ready. How much time a week do you have to dedicate to sports? How much time do you think you'll need in order to get your golf game ready? If there isn't really any time left over after golf is taken care of, then there's your answer.

As for injuries, how often do you get injured in hockey? If its quite regularly, then make the choice based on what's best for your golf. If it's quite rare, and you have time to fit it in, you could play hockey and take a one year break before 2021, so you have a one year lead up where it's nothing but golf with no risk for a hockey injury.

In terms of skill loss, yeah, with that amount of time off, you're going to be rusty, you may even regress a bit. One thing you could do is instead of playing hockey games, you could just go to stick and puck. You can work on your skating and shooting, while not risking injury like in a game. You'll get your time on the ice to mitigate any skill loss. You may even improve your skills.

As for breaking it to your team, just tell them straight up what's going on and that you want to come back after you're done with your golf thing. I think most people will be understanding of your situation and be glad to work with you. If they're not, well, then that says something about them, doesn't it?

Good luck

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Thanks for your thoughts. I went back and looked and it looks like I've had an injury every year since 2016. In 2016 I had a level 2 MCL sprain and therefore only golfed 8 times that summer missing 6 months from March to Sept. In 2017 season I played pretty good except for right at the end hurt my shoulder and missed it looks like about a month to that injury. Golfed 22 rounds that I tracked. Last year with no injuries I think I got in about 50 rounds. The ankle sprain just happened and it looks like it might be a month again. So there's my track record.

I'm going to touch base with my coach and see how many hours of week he thinks I need to put in and let that be the barometer. I like the stick and pick idea. Get back into the powerskating classes would definitely help my skills.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sure. I stopped playing, and my back felt flexible for the first time in years, allowing me to play golf again. Not well like you must play, but basically pain free.

I had become so used to my back being stiff I stopped associating it with playing hockey. Figured it was just age.

And you may not have back problems, I may just be thinking out loud here.

Please keep us posted on your golf progress!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If you are worried about losing current skills, I wouldn’t worry about it. The team issue shouldn’t be a big deal if they are cool guys/girls.

The great thing with hockey is you can play it when you are 60, 70, even 80+

My uncle is 62 and still playing ... just the other day he actually just asked me to play pickup on Sundays with him and some of his buddies who are around the same age.

I stopped playing for about six years after my daughter was born, then started back a couple years ago and my skills came back pretty quickly.

So basically, even if your skills don’t come back quickly, you have the rest of your life to find them again and keep working on them, because hockey is literally for all ages. If something else in your life is more of a priority, like my newborn daughter was with me, hockey will always be there when you are ready to come back.

Last edited:

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Thanks all for your thoughts. I am going to take a break after this years playoffs and focus on the golf. Maybe when my future kids are old enough to play I'll get back into it. Thanks for the support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->