should i shoot left or right?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I'm right handed and shoot right, the problem is when i have to use only one hand since it's the left one. I tried to switch hands but it feels more natural to have left hand on top, i do everything better that way (yes even stickhandling) except when it comes to anything connected with using only one hand.

What should I do? I was thinking to add some muscles to left hand but i don't know if it's going to improve anything or should i force myself to switch hands (i already tried it, i'm not that bad at all but my stickhandling and shooting are a bit worse). :help:

I'm not really good at english. I'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
do what ever you are most comfertable with.

i am right handed also, and i shoot left. to me it just doesn't feel right, to shoot right, but if you are comfertable with it, keep doing it. no need to change.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
If you pick up a broom to sweep with, which way do you use it? That's what I would recommend.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Can you puck handle LH? Can you shoot LH? Do you feel comfortable LH? If so, try it. If not, work on your forearm strength... Hell, even if you stay RH work on your arm muscles.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
If you pick up a broom to sweep with, which way do you use it? That's what I would recommend.

When I started, I used it the same way I use a shovel (we have horses). It felt awkward going the other way. I am right handed, shoot left.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't understand the question...

I shoot right, and am right handed. When I have one hand on the stick, I feel more comfortable with my right hand. So I just switch the stick to my other hand, it doesn't cause me problems...

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Sometimes at practice when there's a little time to mess around I'll skate around and stickhandle using only my top hand, going in all directions.

Seems to help.

TerrieRizer*

I'm a righty and I find that I get much more power on my shots when Shooting Righty. If you're ambidextrous(meaning have equal strength in both arms) then you can shoot either way. As for the one hand on the stick, I usually take my top hand off and hold it with the right as I'm curling around a defender.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I'm a righty and I find that I get much more power on my shots when Shooting Righty. If you're ambidextrous(meaning have equal strength in both arms) then you can shoot either way. As for the one hand on the stick, I usually take my top hand off and hold it with the right as I'm curling around a defender.

Interesting. But do you handle the stick differently if you're pushing the puck up ice on a breakaway? Just curious.

As for nki, I'd say keep shooting righty and start strength training in your left arm. Work your tricep and your grip most of all. IMO it would be easier for you to make your left arm stronger than to teach it to stickhandle. Until your left is strong enough you can just use both hands on your stick.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
Dominant hand should be on top of the stick. Since you have better dexterity with your dominant hand, that is the hand that you stickhandle with.

When you shoot, it is a push/pull action...you pull with the top hand and push with the bottom. You need the stronger hand to pull, because the pushing is simplified with your weight transfer.

Look at the NHL - almost 70:30 left to right.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Dominant hand should be on top of the stick. Since you have better dexterity with your dominant hand, that is the hand that you stickhandle with.

When you shoot, it is a push/pull action...you pull with the top hand and push with the bottom. You need the stronger hand to pull, because the pushing is simplified with your weight transfer.

Look at the NHL - almost 70:30 left to right.

I don't really agree...My dominant hand is my right hand and I shoot right (ie my left hand is on top of the stick). I can't do anthing with my right hand on top...When I stickhandle, it's the hand lower on the stick doing most of the work, and when I shoot, the power comes from the hand lower on the stick.

I can't imagine how the "pull" action is what gives the shot most of its power.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I don't really agree...My dominant hand is my right hand and I shoot right (ie my left hand is on top of the stick). I can't do anthing with my right hand on top...When I stickhandle, it's the hand lower on the stick doing most of the work, and when I shoot, the power comes from the hand lower on the stick.

I can't imagine how the "pull" action is what gives the shot most of its power.
You probably can't do anything now with your dominant hand on top because that's not how you learned to play the game. If you started out with your dominant hand on top you'd probably be saying the opposite.

I'd like to second Doctor No's suggestion, play the way you'd sweep with a broom.

I'm a weird person. I write with my left hand, throw with my right, and I play hockey "right handed." My parents bought me a left handed stick when I was younger and, before I knew anything about hockey really, I used it like a right handed stick...(I had a wicked backhand ;)) The pulling with the top hand works for me because when I shoot I use the stick like a lever with my bottom hand as the fulcrum. So when the stick hits the ice I use my top hand to flex it, if that makes sense.

Back on topic, try out both sides and go with whichever one feels more comfortable. If they are both equally (un)comfortable I'd suggest playing the way you play golf/bat/throw/do other sports because it will make it easier for you to transfer your weight while shooting if it's similar to the way you do it in other sports.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You probably can't do anything now with your dominant hand on top because that's not how you learned to play the game. If you started out with your dominant hand on top you'd probably be saying the opposite.

I'd like to second Doctor No's suggestion, play the way you'd sweep with a broom.

I'm a weird person. I write with my left hand, throw with my right, and I play hockey "right handed." My parents bought me a left handed stick when I was younger and, before I knew anything about hockey really, I used it like a right handed stick...(I had a wicked backhand ;)) The pulling with the top hand works for me because when I shoot I use the stick like a lever with my bottom hand as the fulcrum. So when the stick hits the ice I use my top hand to flex it, if that makes sense.

Back on topic, try out both sides and go with whichever one feels more comfortable. If they are both equally (un)comfortable I'd suggest playing the way you play golf/bat/throw/do other sports because it will make it easier for you to transfer your weight while shooting if it's similar to the way you do it in other sports.

That's interesting...I didn't think it had anything to do with how you were taught...I just picked up a stick when I was a kid and this is what felt best for me. Nobody ever corrected me, and I have a better shot than most people I know. I can also stickhandle pretty well :)

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
That's interesting...I didn't think it had anything to do with how you were taught...I just picked up a stick when I was a kid and this is what felt best for me. Nobody ever corrected me, and I have a better shot than most people I know. I can also stickhandle pretty well :)
I just meant that it has a lot to do with how you played when you learned the game. If you worked hard at being the opposite handedness when you first started, it would feel more natural today.

I also don't mean that there's no other way to shoot the puck, I was just explaining the pulling thing. I'm not being critical of how anyone plays the game, I'm just trying to explain different schools of thought.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I just meant that it has a lot to do with how you played when you learned the game. If you worked hard at being the opposite handedness when you first started, it would feel more natural today.

I also don't mean that there's no other way to shoot the puck, I was just explaining the pulling thing. I'm not being critical of how anyone plays the game, I'm just trying to explain different schools of thought.

No no I knew you weren't being critical, I just found it interesting is all.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
So you are telling me that you push down with both hands when you shoot?

Try flexing a stick and then get back to me.

Pulling with the top hand and using your weight/momentum on your lower hand is how you load the stick to flex.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So you are telling me that you push down with both hands when you shoot?

Try flexing a stick and then get back to me.

Pulling with the top hand and using your weight/momentum on your lower hand is how you load the stick to flex.

I have never had any problems doing it my way. I've played hockey for close to 15 years now.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Okay, so nevermind what I said...After hockey on Friday I realize what you guys have been saying...I thought since I'm right handed, my dominant hand is my right, but it's not.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Also, I realized that the power of my shot comes from my left hand (on top of the stick) but my right hand (bottom) controls where the shot goes.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
I'm right handed and shoot right, the problem is when i have to use only one hand since it's the left one. I tried to switch hands but it feels more natural to have left hand on top, i do everything better that way (yes even stickhandling) except when it comes to anything connected with using only one hand.

It is obvious from your description that your a "righty". Your left hand strength will catch up the more you use it. I wouldn't try to change that.

I'm right handed and I shoot right. Left hand strength develops over time, but yes you will always be a tad weaker when using only one hand. There are other benefits from keeping your mainhand strength down the stick though, you will be very strong on the stick along the boards and have a wicked hard shot. =)

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
Okay, so nevermind what I said...After hockey on Friday I realize what you guys have been saying...I thought since I'm right handed, my dominant hand is my right, but it's not.

It is hard to picture it when you're sitting behind a keyboard and not shooting the puck, but I'm glad that you realize it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad