Should have kept Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I didn't like the trade then and I don't view it any better now and here's why:

The leafs should be (key word is should be) trying to become a defensive first team (ala st louis/rangers/kings) but the problem is we dont have many guys average to good in their own end. Schenn was one of those seldom players who I felt was above average in his own end and what does Burke do? He goes out and trades him for a young but unproven winger in JVR. I'm not knocking JVR, the guy has potential and the trade value-wise was even but the timing was all kinds of awful.

I much rather Burke had hung onto Schenn.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

The leafs should be (key word is should be) trying to become a defensive first team (ala st louis/rangers/kings) but the problem is we dont have many guys average to good in their own end. Schenn was one of those seldom players who I felt was above average in his own end and what does Burke do? He goes out and trades him for a young but unproven winger in JVR. I'm not knocking JVR, the guy has potential and the trade value-wise was even but the timing was all kinds of awful.

Schenn was above average to good in his own end?

He almost managed to give that impression when all he did was try to get the puck to Kaberle as soon as he touched it....

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Aulie is huge and is actually a pretty decent skater. Anybody remember Chara with Ottawa when we played against him all the time? He was huge and couldn't skate worth ****.

Aulie was worth a bit of a wait-and-see. Now another team gets to find out if he develops or not, which seems to take longer for huge guys like that. Last I checked Tampa hasn't given up on Hedman after some rough play.

12345*

Aulie is huge and is actually a pretty decent skater. Anybody remember Chara with Ottawa when we played against him all the time? He was huge and couldn't skate worth ****.

Aulie was worth a bit of a wait-and-see. Now another team gets to find out if he develops or not, which seems to take longer for huge guys like that. Last I checked Tampa hasn't given up on Hedman after some rough play.

Aulie can't think the game - he's too slow. Unfortunately, you can be the most talented physical specimen. If you can't think the game, you can't play at a high level.

ALine

May 14, 2012

Hedman is/was an established defensemen in the NHL, Aulie had an okay 40 odd game stint, playing with out best defensmen , then has been atrocious after until the trade. Haven't fallowed him since. Ashton is a big kid as well, worthy or a similar wait and see label. You said yourself, big men take longer to develop. This holds true for both forwards and defensemen.

I am very happy with what we got for.Schenn. Great potential fr potential trade.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hedman is/was an established defensemen in the NHL, Aulie had an okay 40 odd game stint, playing with out best defensmen , then has been atrocious after until the trade. Haven't fallowed him since. Ashton is a big kid as well, worthy or a similar wait and see label. You said yourself, big men take longer to develop. This holds true for both forwards and defensemen.

I am very happy with what we got for.Schenn. Great potential fr potential trade.

Did you watch any games that Aulie play? Okay......he was more then ok playing against the top players in the League in his 40 game stint with the Leafs ... Speaking of atrocious....Ashton, who looked lost last year in his 15 games in the NHL and still looks lost in the AHL this year.

Schenn is a leader something that we lack....lead the team in block shots / hits and took responsibility for his play, something our captain does not do. I dislike the trade as we gave up something we needed to get something we do not need.

Durkin67

Schenn for JVR was an across the board trade.

Just like Aulie for Ashton.

Aulie and Ashton will probably be fringe NHLers.

Schenn will probably never be more than a #4 defenseman...and JVR is realistically probably no better than a 2nd or 3rd liner.

You had me up until the last part. All this down time means he'll be physically stronger and healthier than he's been so far in his NHL career. He's going to be a valuable piece in the next year or two. Great deal for Leaf organization.

Durkin67

For what it's worth, Aulie actually showed some promise when he played with the Maple Leafs in the NHL. Carter Ashton was quite atrocious in his 15-game stint.

Instead of "atrocious", can we just say "not ready"?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Schenn was the worst defensively of any of our dmen last year.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Did you watch any games that Aulie play? Okay......he was more then ok playing against the top players in the League in his 40 game stint with the Leafs ... Speaking of atrocious....Ashton, who looked lost last year in his 15 games in the NHL and still looks lost in the AHL this year.

Schenn is a leader something that we lack....lead the team in block shots / hits and took responsibility for his play, something our captain does not do. I dislike the trade as we gave up something we needed to get something we do not need.

I'm betting that if he didn't turn the puck over so much(something Kadri got blasted for by Wilson and others so many times) his stats would look different. And how is a big bodied forward not something we need? JVR is the exact type of player we need. We traded a strength for a weakness.

I also hate the whole he would look so much better under Carlyle posts. As stated by others before, Carlyle had already seen Schenn play and if he wanted him here then he probably doesn't get traded.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Luke Schenn was better as a 18 year rookie than in his 4th NHL season. That is the story of his career here.

So you mean he was better before the poor coaching he received....

I'm betting that if he didn't turn the puck over so much(something Kadri got blasted for by Wilson and others so many times) his stats would look different. And how is a big bodied forward not something we need? JVR is the exact type of player we need. We traded a strength for a weakness.

I also hate the whole he would look so much better under Carlyle posts. As stated by others before, Carlyle had already seen Schenn play and if he wanted him here then he probably doesn't get traded.

You failed to read what I posted.....we lack leadership and like it or not Schenn was a leader. We also lack players who are willing to put their body on the line to make a play and again Schenn was one of the few who did consistently. Schenn was going to get traded long before Carlyle got here. I agree that we traded a strength for a weakness.....you see it as we got a strength back....but I see it as adding to a weakness. We traded for a big player who fails to use his size, he might as well be 5'11" as he does not use his size. We are an easy to play against team and the trade added to that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So you mean he was better before the poor coaching he received....

That's the million dollar question, probably more than one factor, coaching and he also got slower. I remember there were those that claimed Ron Wilson was a great developmental coach. ?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That's the million dollar question, probably more than one factor, coaching and he also got slower. I remember there were those that claimed Ron Wilson was a great developmental coach. ?

I think that it was a lot about coaching as well as the fact that he was trying to do to much....both on and off the ice and this created a lot of poor decisions. I think that he will be a lot better as a Flyer.

Ron Wilson is not a great development coach in my opinion, his attacking of Kadri in the media proves this.

hockeyfanz*

Probably the same fans who claim Burke is a great evaluator of talent. Pfffffffffffffft.....:laugh:

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
anyone who thinks schenn is good is a terrible evaluator of talent, leafs will improve simply by not having him playing let alone getting JVR for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad