Should Gretky have been on the shootout in '98? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We all remember that infamous game. Canada by the way played poorly until the 19th minute of the third period but what do you expect they had Shayne Corson, Linden and Zamuner on their team (yes I know Linden got the tying goal). But to me I always have weighed in about the debate about Gretzky not being in the shootout. The list as we know went like this:

Fleury
Bourque
Nieuwendyk
Lindros
Shanahan

Not bad but far from great or even our best. Yes Sakic and Kariya were both unavailable and it may not have even gotten to a shootout then, but werent there better snipers than Bourque and Shanahan? They are far from the most skilled of players. Gretzky IMO shouldnt have been in the shootout for a number of reasons. First I once read that not having Gretzky there was like not having Babe Ruth in a home run competition. Well not exactly Gretzky was not in his '84 version anymore and to have a guy who had a diminished goal scoring ability and one year away from retirement go against the greatest breakaway goalie ever wasn't in the cards for me. Besides Hasek stopped Gretkzky in a shootout in the '98 all-star game skills competition. So my answer is no he shouldnt have been among the top 5 picks. This was '98 it was a different era. Here was my list. Would we have won? I dont know but it would have been a better chance.

Fleury - This pick was correct. Fleury had the right idea against Hasek trying to go high on him put Hasek barely got a piece of it, I think Fleury was on most people's lists.

Recchi - Let's face it Bourque was on there cause he could shoot "targets" in the all-star game. Not a good choice. Recchi was more deserving a skilled player who was also a sharpshooter. Not a defenseman. When was the last time you had ever seen Bourque on a breakaway?

Nieuwendyk - This pick was good to. He was having a good tournament. He has skill, and had 39 goals that year more than any Canadian. He looked weak on the shootout but I'd still put him in there.

Lindros - He actually did the best vs. Hasek he hit the post. Lindros was the Captain at the time and he was one of the three best players in the world at the time. No question he's on there.

Yzerman - Why was a power forward like Shanahan our last hope? I'd let Shanny one time it anyday over most players but a breakaway? How was Yzerman left off? He'd be my final pick. That way if the score is tied then you have arugable your most skilled player going against him. He was the only guy on that team who had the ability, other than maybe Fleury, that could deke Hasek out let alone score. Yzerman was well on his way to a Conn Smythe Trophy that spring.

So that is my list Gretzky bashers let out a cheer! I love Gretzky, but even himself he said he was "below average" on breakaways. This is in his prime let alone when he's 37.

Ogopogo*

If you have to ask why Gretzky should have been one of the shooters, you aren't as smart as I thought you were.

chooch*

He was only on the team as a token to sponsors like Chevrolet who were buying big tv time. He would have been an asset v. Chicago in 1983.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
He was only on the team as a token to sponsors like Chevrolet who were buying big tv time. He would have been an asset v. Chicago in 1983.

Were you one of the unfortunate flower children who was severely brain damaged in those initial impotence-pill experiments which went so terribly, terribly wrong??

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you watch it again, Hasek makes the save on Lindros. Lindros made a perfect move, went to the backhand and got the puck up high, but Hasek spinning around with his back to Lindros catches the puck with the knob of his stick.

Just a ridiculous save.

I agree with your list of 5. Certainly Recchi over Bourque.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He may have been below average on breakaways, but I find it hard to leave the best player in the history of the game on the bench...

anyone have video hilites of the game?

Claypool_*

John Flyers Fan said:
If you watch it again, Hasek makes the save on Lindros. Lindros made a perfect move, went to the backhand and got the puck up high, but Hasek spinning around with his back to Lindros catches the puck with the knob of his stick.

Just a ridiculous save.

I agree with your list of 5. Certainly Recchi over Bourque.

It was his glove, not his stick knob.

http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamNaganoGalleryImages/feb20_aa15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool_*

John Flyers Fan said:
That pic was after the fact. The knob of his stick was three feet in the air when he made the save.

sorry, it was his glove. His stick was never in the air.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He earned a chance.

The greatest player deserves the opportunity.

ESPECIALLY when he has come through so often in KEY situations.

He is CLUTCH... and the room full of fans I was watching the game with EXPECTED Gretzky to have one of the five chances.

We were all SHOCKED when it was announced he wouldn't be among the five shooters.

We knew something was wrong and we all got very nervous then.

Crawford can take his stat sheet and swallow it. When everything is on the line.... is very different than your typical penalty shot in the middle of a game.

Man, does this still irk me. :madfire:

Oilers1*

Why should he have been on the shootout list?

Cause he's freakin' Wayne Gretzky, that's why.

That man is clutch, had 20 years experience of playing in (and winning) big games, and has forgotten more about scoring goals than anyone else has ever known.

And Yzerman should have been in there, too. He's got all the tools that Sakic has, and there would have been a serious outcry if Sakic was available and not picked. I've never understood why Crawford's fatal error in overlooking Stevie Y has never been more critisized. . .

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Not sure if it should have been Wayne. At that point in his career he was not one of Canada's best shooters. But he was still a better choice than Bourque. Recchi and Yzerman are without a doubt is the ones who got jobbed.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ogopogo said:
If you have to ask why Gretzky should have been one of the shooters, you aren't as smart as I thought you were.

The thing with me is that I'm not so sure Gretzky would have been the best choice. He was no longer a goal scorer at that point in his career he had 25 goals that year and was not a sharp shooter anymore. He was too slow at that point in his career Hasek can read you like a book, especially in '98 when he was the best in the game. Fleury, Lindros, Nieuwy, Yzerman and Recchi had a better shot against Hasek. Yes I'll admit he was clutch and came through in big games but he just wasnt in my top 5 personally.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I might have given one of the shots to Gretzky simply because he's Gretzky.
Otherwise, all the signals point to his being left off as the proper thing.

I certainly wouldn't have put Bourque out there though.

espo*

VanIslander said:
He earned a chance.

The greatest player deserves the opportunity.

ESPECIALLY when he has come through so often in KEY situations.

He is CLUTCH... and the room full of fans I was watching the game with EXPECTED Gretzky to have one of the five chances.

We were all SHOCKED when it was announced he wouldn't be among the five shooters.

We knew something was wrong and we all got very nervous then.

Crawford can take his stat sheet and swallow it. When everything is on the line.... is very different than your typical penalty shot in the middle of a game.

Man, does this still irk me. :madfire:
Great post,totally 100% on the money IMO.It was a karma thing...........he'd done it(be clutch) so many times before.He should've been one of the five.

It sure would have been nice to have had Kariya and Sakics services though.People forget we were missing our top two offensive guns in that game.It sure hurt us.

espo*

Laraque27 said:
Why should he have been on the shootout list?

Cause he's freakin' Wayne Gretzky, that's why.

That man is clutch, had 20 years experience of playing in (and winning) big games, and has forgotten more about scoring goals than anyone else has ever known.

And Yzerman should have been in there, too. He's got all the tools that Sakic has, and there would have been a serious outcry if Sakic was available and not picked. I've never understood why Crawford's fatal error in overlooking Stevie Y has never been more critisized. . .
Another good post.Yep.............why has'nt that been questioned? He left off Stevie Y for a guy like Bourque? No disrespect to ray...........just Stevie should have been one of the guys before him.Or Wayne,serious miscalculation of hunches by Crawford.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Gretzky was playing inspired in that tournament and it was "a crucial moment".
When you have the all time leading goal scorer on your team and he's playing
to win the only thing he's never won you forget all about how good he was on
breakaways and you give him the puck.ABSOLUTELY one of the dumbest moves
in the history of coaching.

keltic

Dec 15, 2004
How many times did Gretzky miss a penalty shot in his career in a game that mattered? Don't bother looking it up if you don't have the time... the answer is ZERO!!! Yes he's missed them in the regular season when it wasn't all that important whether or not he scored, but he NEVER missed one when it counted. There's no way he should have been watching that shootout from the bench...

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Claypool said:
sorry, it was his glove. His stick was never in the air.

I have the game on tape.

It was his glove as I recall (saw the game like 20 times)... If someone still thinks it's the stick, I can check easy enough.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad