Should Gardiner be traded prior to the deadline?

Should Gardiner be traded prior to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
My take is simple.

I have never liked Gardiner, but I respect what he can bring offensively. To me it is a no brainer that while we have the Cap this year we keep him and try and make an add for a RHD. Let's say Petro.(love this guy)

You get Petro and you go for the cup and then you move Jake for whatever and you keep Petro. Next year you have

Morgan-Petro
Dermott-Zaitsev
and who knows?

If we can 1 year Hainsey cheap you bring him back for the 2nd pair and let camp and nature sort out the rest.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
My take is simple.

I have never liked Gardiner, but I respect what he can bring offensively. To me it is a no brainer that while we have the Cap this year we keep him and try and make an add for a RHD. Let's say Petro.(love this guy)

You get Petro and you go for the cup and then you move Jake for whatever and you keep Petro. Next year you have

Morgan-Petro
Dermott-Zaitsev
and who knows?

If we can 1 year Hainsey cheap you bring him back for the 2nd pair and let camp and nature sort out the rest.
This all looks nice, but let’s be straight here.. Dermott is not even close to Jake right now. Despite you never liking him, the fact he could
maybe go 7mill+ somewhere alone shows how much the league values him over a guy like Dermott.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This all looks nice, but let’s be straight here.. Dermott is not even close to Jake right now. Despite you never liking him, the fact he could
maybe go 7mill+ somewhere alone shows how much the league values him over a guy like Dermott.
Sure but if we pay Jake we never put money in a RHD. Dermott is not Jake, I get that and if he's not ready you have other options but if I'm choosing between Jake and Petro it's no debate, to me.

Having another legit top pairing guy seems like a more sound option and maybe the day comes when one of Rielly or Petro is on the ice practically the whole game.

We might lose some offense but we would also offset that with D and being more balanced. Did you not notice Boston ran everything through our right side last year? That needs a solution.

Not saying I'm right but I've had enough of his brain farts in our zone and not having a legit top 4 guy on the right side. I'm sure there are pros and cons to this scenario but it is the one I like.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Good luck making that trade. He's a UFA, so only a contender would want him, that rules out half the teams. You can't trade him to a team in the east, because then you're making the Leafs worse *and* making an opponent better. So that leaves maybe 10 teams that are potential trade partners, max, several of which would have no interest because D isn't their weakness. Then even if you can make a trade with the 5 or so realistic trade partners you also gotta figure out how to replace him for our playoff run.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

No it doesn't, that just tells me he's a UFA. The league values RFA/young players less. Dermott is still a bit green but safe to say he's just as talented as Gardiner.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
YES.

99.9999% of odd man rushes happen when Gardiner is on the ice.

He does not move the needle in this town. He should be moved. No way he stays. Leafs should not bother to resign him. Gardiner is not in Reilly's league.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Jake Gardiner since October 17th (Started playing his regular minutes after missing most of camp):

5v5 adjusted (minimum 400 minutes, 132 dmen):

TOI: 565:25 (15th)
TOI QoC%: 29.3 (50th)
CF%: 52.76 (36th)
SF%: 50.64 (63rd)
GF%: 70.52 (1st)
SCF%: 55.11 (15th)
HDCF% 60.00 (7th)

Goals/60: .21 (57th)
Points/60: 1.27 (Tied for 15th with Giordano)

He's now on pace for 49 points this year.

His PDO is one of the highest in the league but his underlying numbers are still incredible so it not as bad as it looks. Here are the top 5 for PDO over this stretch:

1. Rielly
2. Gards
3: McDonagh
4. Hainsey
5. Carlson

Gards has been incredible and is gonna get paid.....but will the Leafs make the moves to keep him?

Mar 14, 2011
So, you are denying that he is responsible for a couple of terrible giveaways almost every game?

Sure, I exaggerated somewhat, but, he does contribute to our goals against all too often for my liking.

I'm willing to listen to anyone that has statistics to prove he is worth more to our team than his brain farts seem to indicate.
Gards is now 3rd best in the league in goals allowed per 60 among top 4 Dman since Oct 17 behind Zaitsev and Carlo (Shattenkirk this season plays 3rd league minutes with the Rangers); Gards was even #1 on the list prior to his awful 1st period against Det. Also this isn't just a new occurrence, Gardiners' goals against numbers has always been stellar since the Leafs became a playoff team in 2016.

Attachments

• gar.png
    gar.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Al14

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
we are making a serious run at the cup this year. We will give up prospect assets and picks and bulk up, not give away core assets that we need.
Ideally re-sign him, but I suppose its not likely.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My take is simple.

Morgan-Petro
Dermott-Zaitsev
and who knows?

But what do you give for Petro?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
But what do you give for Petro?
Heh, well I'm cheap. To me neither of our 2 goalie prospects or 1rst round d-man should be on the table.

I'd like something along the lines of our 1rst, Moore, Zaitsev and either a 2nd or any other Marlie not mentioned above.

That is what I would want to start around. If we could move Zai then our cap is in much better shape. Might cost more but this is what I would like to see it built around.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We have a shot at a cup. Please tell me people are not going to want us to trade a top 4 D for futures.

What do the top 4 dmen get traded for at the deadline? Futures

What would we get for gardiner? Futures

Let’s put 2 and 2 together oh we can upgrade gardiner using the package we got for gardiner plus? Sign me up

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Let’s put 2 and 2 together oh we can upgrade gardiner using the package we got for gardiner plus? Sign me up

That is not going to happen though ..

Leafs will use Gardiner as an "Own Rental" player just like they used JVR last year to try and win in the playoffs, and then his return will be "free cap space" gained once he departs as a UFA, as he is unlikely to be re-signed due to a salary cap crunch next season.

PS.. I'm with you in principle when it comes to asset management, but I would have attempted to deal Gardiner last year at the draft or summer with 1 year remaining on his deal to replace him on the roster with a player with term that would have helped this year. Allowing players with value to walk away for free is not considered good asset management, so a more proactive thinking use of a pending UFA is desired to better manage the roster. Leaving that decision until this TD has actually missed the boat and now reactive as opposed to proactive trying to salvage the loss, and weakening your own Cup chances in the process mid season.

Last edited:

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I think they sign Jake to a long term with most of the money up front. Probably 5.5-6 for 8yrs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Unfortunately There are a LOT of dumb people in this fanbase

My god, 52 years without a finals appearance and we are giving up and trading a top 4 UFA D with the 2nd best record in the NHL.

I will enjoy the "We Are Not Good Enough" replies when an expansion team made the finals last year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

That sounds very complicated though and will be tough to do.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, I think the trade ship has sailed.
I Don’t think it wasn’t considered though.
I’m pretty certain he would have been moved if DeHaan chose TO during FA.
Pretty sure that woulda been the plan.
Hoping that TD and Ozi see tougher matchups in the second half, to see what they can do.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My god, 52 years without a finals appearance and we are giving up and trading a top 4 UFA D with the 2nd best record in the NHL.

I will enjoy the "We Are Not Good Enough" replies when an expansion team made the finals last year.

Just checking but you do know we are on the same page right?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think the boat has sailed already on moving Gardiner. He'll be on the team for this year's playoffs. If we were going to move him, then maybe in the summer would have been the time to do it.

I think we will lose Gardiner in the off season due to cap constraints, and possibly a forward as well.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks Gards has been pretty competent in his own zone this year?

I don't know, I don't watch the D a ton or really "note d mistakes" apart from obvious ones, but I just feel he has been relatively (for himself) solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad