Should Gardiner be traded prior to the deadline?

Should Gardiner be traded prior to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
he hurts our playoff chances, trade him for anyone we can use, Simmonds?

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Would hate to lose Jake. Really having a strong season. The last month Dermott has really plateaued! He’s not ready for 22/game.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
"In the short-term, the here and now, moving Gardiner wouldn’t make much of a difference."

Pretty much stopped reading after that, couldn't be more wrong.

Ya, this article reads like it was written by someone who tunes in to watch the entry draft, but didn't watch a game all season. He is completely dismissing the whole season just because Tampa and Boston would be likely playoff opponents for us. Surprise, they aren't going to disappear next year.

Please keep Gardiner. I would like to live to see a Cup win.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ya, this article reads like it was written by someone who tunes in to watch the entry draft, but didn't watch a game all season. He is completely dismissing the whole season just because Tampa and Boston would be likely playoff opponents for us. Surprise, they aren't going to disappear next year.

Please keep Gardiner. I would like to live to see a Cup win.

I don't get how a team is supposed to aspire for a championship if it is literally afraid of 2 division opponents. Just gotta beat them if you think you are as good as you are.

Reactions: zaqq

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
For a guy with a bad reputation for defensive play, Gardiner has THE best goals against / 60 stats on our blueline, while also eating up difficult minutes.

As a generalization, Hainsey, Zaitsev, and Ozhiganov bank the puck off the boards, and generally do what's a "safe" play going by old school hockey thinking. But the fact is, those pucks get picked up by the other team ~50% of the time.

Rielly, Gardiner, and Dermott on the other hand skate the puck up and/or pass it to get it out of the zone. Meaning when it's successful, we retain the puck, which probably happens ~90% of the time. But the 10% of the time we give it up, it's more obvious than when Hainsey/Zaitsev/Ozhiganov cough it up.

i.e. Gardiner's mistakes defensively are more obvious than some other guys, but that doesn't mean they happen nearly as often as other guys turnovers/mistakes.

Reactions: Jeypic and zaqq

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I am on the side of trading him ONLY if we acquire quality assets. He is having a strong year and looks to finally be getting past the blatant mental lapses that have plagued him for the first several years.

With that said, if the deal is too good to pass up and helps out for the longevity of the team (cap and roster space), pull the trigger.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The only way to trade Gardiner is if you're doing it to get assets that can be used to upgrade BOTH spots in the top 4 on the right side to go with Rielly and Dermott (needs some shelter for this year).

Rielly-RHD
Dermott-RHD
Rosen/Marincin-Ozhiganov/Holl

I just don't think you can flip the entire defense in a one month period so you're better off trying to just get one for now and upgrade on Hainsey.

Hainsey to other playoff team for something similar to trade to Pens, 2nd+ something small.

Then go after that big fish.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Maybe we can get., "Picks"...

Do people just want us to lay down and give up on the playoffs? LOL.

Reactions: zaqq

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If you look at what Gards does defensively (not gifted, but looks good in this group) and the minutes he eats, it only makes sense to move him if you are in the process of adding someone who is at least as good defensively (I emphasize this because the internal options are not good) and who has more term. If they can add a cost controlled player with term, they can and should move him because own-rental is an asset flush, but they can't weaken this already sketchy crew.
I was not close to being on board with the Willie for Pesce but if its Gards gone for an asset, which combines with another asset for a Pesce get, you probably do it. The other asset required might be too much to handle though so then you look for a lesser return, but how much lesser is worth it? They need a level of certainty to replace him so that means no prospects, it has to be a player in his prime. It isn't a yes or no answer until we know all the pieces that would need to be considered.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Jake Gardiner is a beast. I consider him a quality #2 puck-moving offensibe defenseman.

Eye test and likely back to back 50pt seasons with limited powerplay time just shows his high end skill. He will command 6+ million on long term deal as a free agent.

In my opinion, there is little chance the Leafs can keep him long term given the anticipated cap constraints. And its also arguable that with the current roster composition, they may not be true contenders

This begs the question -

1. Should Leafs consider trading in a hockey trade - get assets to help acquire a right handed defenseman - for this playoff run. For example:

To toronto: Brett Pesce (from carolina)
To Carolina: assets, offense (from Tor and team x)
To team X: Jake gardiner (from tor)

2. Or keep him as a own-rental then let him walk

PLEASE BE ON THE RECORD AND INCLUDE YOUR REASONING behing your decision if you also choose to leave a comment

Gives away too many pizzas....time to move on and give that dough to a defensive defenceman

Reactions: BM14

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wonder if Dubas would ever get creative and unload him for a pick, then dump a pick for another D.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Yes he’s a pos. He cost us game 7 single handedly and I see more of the same all season

f***ing loser

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
yes, the 2nd best team in the league is going to trade away its 2nd best dman at the trade deadline.

good call, leafs fans.

Gards is 2nd best on our team, but I don't think he'd be 2nd best on alot of other teams though. Like Phaneuf was our 'number one' Dman and was paid like one even though at that point he wasn't a real number one Dman.

Also Gards is like Marincin when it comes to stats. Even though the numbers says he's good, I don't feel that way when I watch him on the ice. If we can get good assets or a good Dman in return for him, then trade him ASAP, but I doubt that will likely happen in which case I hope we do a JVR and just let him walk. Gards at 4 million a year is tolerable, but Gards at 5-6+ million? Yeah screw that, let him go.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
His offensive upside isnt worth his braindead plays and fumbles.

No Top team lets a top pairing D have this many mistakes over and over.

He needs to go. Hes better suited on a team where other Dmen can cover his risky plays.

Not the leafs - We need a solid less flashy D guy that can skate and make 1 good pass.

We need Dermott 2.0

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yes, Jake needs to be sent out for futures.

Look ,,was Marners camp demanding 9m x 8 per after a 69 point season,,this summer????11/12???Matty for max?

it's over,,as some though "this was too good to be true" in the back of their minds, mark my words, you folks was right(i was hoping different)

This is a one and done,again at the hands of the Bs and Matty/Marns will destroy this roster with their contract demands.

It's clear as day what is coming.

These agents are not measuring what their league equals are, they are measuring what they are worth to the most profitable team in the entire league.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No, we need him for this run. We need to add a couple players and tool up to go for it all. This is the time where we have the most flexibility.

I believe trying to work a trade for either Simmonds and Gudas from Philly or Martinez and Muzzin from LA (if they take Zaitsev) would be what this team needs. Either load up the D and go for it or add toughness. Either way, this team is better for our run with Gardiner on the second pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad