Should Gaborik be paid IF the NHL resumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Marian Gaborik had his left pinky fractured by an Alexander Steen slash last week in a Swedish Elite game.He will see a doctor this Friday to determine if needs surgery.
If he doesn't need surgery,he will miss two weeks

In a telephone interview Monday from Trencin, Gaborik was still sore with a throbbing finger and at Steen. "That (expletive) guy," he said.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/hockey/10783377.htm?1c

If the NHL season begins within the next two weeks and Gaborik needs surgery on the pinky,this guy shouldn't be paid since he was hurt playing during the lockout in Europe.He is probably covered by insurance but Minnesota should not pay him a penny of the remaining $2.9 million salary if he can't play

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
RangerBoy said:
Marian Gaborik had his left pinky fractured by an Alexander Steen slash last week in a Swedish Elite game.He will see a doctor this Friday to determine if needs surgery.

In a telephone interview Monday from Trencin, Gaborik was still sore with a throbbing finger and at Steen. "That (expletive) guy," he said.

If the NHL season begins within the next two weeks and Gaborik needs surgery on the pinky,this guy shouldn't be paid since he was hurt playing during the lockout in Europe.He is probably covered by insurance but Minnesota should not pay him a penny of the remaining $2.9 million salary if he can't play

I agree. And good for Steen, he's taking out the Leafs competition...just 650 players or so to go Alex...lol

EDIT: I'm just kidding...lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think he would get paid, no.

On another note, he's only making $2.9M? He held out that long and that's all he's getting? I hope he has a new agent...

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

On another note, he's only making $2.9M? He held out that long and that's all he's getting? I hope he has a new agent...

I could be wrong, but from memory, he dumped his agent and under his new agent accepted basically the same contract he was offerred around training camp......

SENSible1*

He should have insurance that will pay his salary. If he doesn't then it is his loss.

He should not be paid by the Wild until his is able to play.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
go kim johnsson said:

What do you think he should be making? (Oops.. thread hijack ;))

Just curious, because I think that's a little high for a guy coming off his rookie contract. He's had pretty significant slumps, so consistency is still a question if you ask me.
Granted, he had a nice playoff performance right before he went into negotiations, but should a guy get such a big salary bump so early in his career due to one good playoffs?

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
depends on the wording of the contract... if it explicitly says, "you don't get paid if you are hurt playing in another league," then he probably won't get paid (wouldn't be shocked if there is some such clause). if it doesn't say that, then who knows what would happen. insurance?

ultimately the only reason he was playing in another league was because ownership locked him out of playing in the NHL... limits the ownerships ability to argue since the man's living is playing hockey, he simply found employment while they weren't allowing him to earn money.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
go kim johnsson said:

his first agent, Allen Walsh ( I think...or it was David Schatia)...basically brainwashed him into thinking that he was worth what he earned the previous year (his salary, plus whatever incentives he reached)...which was like $13 mil(I could be wrong, but it was a hefty number)...this same agent was the one who scored Havlat and Fleury big time contracts...after a while Gabs dumped his ass cuz he just wanted to play hockey, and signed for what the wild had offered him, but it was pro-rated...

ironically, that same agent is suing Gaborik over lost compensation or collusion or whatever, because he still signed a contract.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
If the applicable provisions of the standard player contract signed under the previous CBA are retained, Goborik isn't eligible to receive any compensation. He'd be automatically placed on the suspended list until he's medically cleared to play. Such players are not eligible to go on IR where they receive a salary and compensation is only due if the injury is related to service for their team.

A Good Flying Bird*

RangerBoy said:

Right.
The owners lock the players out.
The players go find somewhere to play, often paying more in insurance than they make in their new jobs, and yet, they are to be blamed for staying in game shape.

If the season does start soon, it won't be long before some of you nonsensical playerhaters start whining and crying about the players who aren
t in game shape

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Newsguyone said:
Right.
The players go find somewhere to play, often paying more in insurance than they make in their new jobs, and yet, they are to be blamed for staying in game shape.

If the season does start soon, it won't be long before some of you nonsensical playerhaters start whining and crying about the players who aren
t in game shape

None of that matters. Players don't get paid in this kind of situation regardless of whether there's a lockout. Recall Maxim Afinogenov who suffered a concussion playing in a pickup game in Russia to "stay in game shape". He didn't receive a nickle until he was medically cleared.

A Good Flying Bird*

Buffaloed said:
None of that matters. Players don't get paid in this kind of situation regardless of whether there's a lockout. Recall Maxim Afinogenov who suffered a concussion playing in a pickup game in Russia to "stay in game shape". He didn't receive a nickle until he was medically cleared.

Well, with no CBA, I'm not sure how this plays out.
Afinogenov's pick up game may have been a violation of contract.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Newsguyone said:
Right.

Well, that's what happens when you functionally scab, and take some other player's job. This whole non-solidarity thing has been ridiculous from the start, with half the league working and half not. They all should have been gathered around the fire barrel all along.

There are lots of ways to stay in shape, btw. Playing meaningless hockey in a league that is in no way comparable to the NHL (different rules, dimensions, style of play, etc) is not this magic "staying in shape" formula.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I don't believe he should be paid until healthy teams should only be on the hook to pay the players if they are injured in a team event, unless stipulated otherwise in the contract.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Newsguyone said:
Right.

t in game shape

No different to me than if he'd suffered a motorcycle injury. He's under contract to the Wild and he engaged in physically dangerous conduct unrelated to playing hockey for the Wild.

Not to mention that he probably scabbed a European father out of a job.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The players knew the risks involved with playing in Europe. His choice go, so its all his injury to deal with not his NHL clubs.

Even the staying in shape argument is bunk. The players have been playing Europe as trump card to trying to force the NHL to cave. The "Staying in shape" excuse doesn't work for me.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
PecaFan said:
Well, that's what happens when you functionally scab, and take some other player's job. This whole non-solidarity thing has been ridiculous from the start, with half the league working and half not. They all should have been gathered around the fire barrel all along.

There are lots of ways to stay in shape, btw. Playing meaningless hockey in a league that is in no way comparable to the NHL (different rules, dimensions, style of play, etc) is not this magic "staying in shape" formula.
It's probably not meaningless if your a Slovak and he happens to be one.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Calling unemployed players 'scabs' for finding work is grasping at straws. Blame for the effects of a shrunken labor market should be placed squarely on the shoulders of those who voluntarily pulled their businesses out of the market, if blame should be attributed at all.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Bicycle Repairman said:
A Slovak playing for Dukla Trencin. Imagine that. :shakehead

Nationality has nothing to do with it. If a Canadian crosses the line to play for the replacement Flames or Leafs, he's still a scab.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Bicycle Repairman said:
Which picket line did Gaborik cross?

That's a different point than nationality, though.

He's not technically a scab, but he's still stealing an innocent party's job. It's unseemly at best for an employee in a labor dispute to go to another company and take the job of someone at that company. It makes the NHLPA's cries of union solidarity a joke, to put it kindly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad