Should Doug Armstrong get fired if he can't get re-sign Pietrangelo?

Should Doug Armstrong get fired if he can't re-sign Pietrangelo?

• Total voters

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
It's a confusing situation in that Army is usually a GM with a plan and carefully crafts his moves around that. But when it comes to Pietrangelo, there just doesn't seem to be a clear plan with him, as you pointed out he made other moves around this contract even during the most uncertain times, but didn't want to extend him last summer when just the CBA was the only unknown.

I mean, it seems pretty clear he had a plan to me, if I'm being honest. With the power of hindsight right now, the Faulk trade only makes sense if Armstrong had already accepted last summer he wasn't gonna meet the demand for Pietrangelo. Why else would he commit 13 million for 2 members of his Right Side defense, and commit that type of money to a nowhere near as clear as play. Add that to taking a hardline stance on some issues and had Krug signed before even one day in free agency when it looked likely Petro was gonna wait in free agency regardless, and the picture is pretty complete.

I just think it was a shitty plan.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Why did petro not sign in vegas tonight what stoped him

Because he was always going to wait and double check everything. We've known he's a family man first and foremost for a while now. This was never going to be a day or two thing the moment he actually became a UFA.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Hopefully there're on a call to STL. It’s not too late for Newport to admit Army was spot on with the current market. but there is still a little bit of a path here. The longer Alex thinks, the more the idea of leaving St. Louis may sting. It’s less than a 5% chance. But it’s still a chance.

Reactions: mk80 and blues80

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Hopefully there're on a call to STL. It’s not too late for Newport to admit Army was spot on with the current market. but there is still a little bit of a path here. The longer Alex thinks, the more the idea of leaving St. Louis may sting. It’s less than a 5% chance. But it’s still a chance.

It has to make sense with money and the only way is to move Steen, Bozak, and Dunn. I’m pretty sure LTIR counts as cap when the season starts so Steen has to retire or be traded.

It’s probably just too many moving parts

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It has to make sense with money and the only way is to move Steen, Bozak, and Dunn. I’m pretty sure LTIR counts as cap when the season starts so Steen has to retire or be traded.

It’s probably just too many moving parts
There have been a lot of buyouts this offseason. Couldn't we just buy out Bozak or Steen? It's only for a season.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Because he was always going to wait and double check everything. We've known he's a family man first and foremost for a while now. This was never going to be a day or two thing the moment he actually became a UFA.
a family man wouldnt move his kids to Las Vegas (LOL) over petty minor things like how bonuses and how a contract is structured and turn down 8x8 which would enable his family to stay in the only city they have known. its clear he got some awful advice and its also clear that the family guy act is just that, an act

i cannot wait to see if these tampering rumors are true from Vegas because its gonna be amazing if they sign him and then the rumors are proven true.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hqdefault.jpg

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I mean, it seems pretty clear he had a plan to me, if I'm being honest. With the power of hindsight right now, the Faulk trade only makes sense if Armstrong had already accepted last summer he wasn't gonna meet the demand for Pietrangelo. Why else would he commit 13 million for 2 members of his Right Side defense, and commit that type of money to a nowhere near as clear as play. Add that to taking a hardline stance on some issues and had Krug signed before even one day in free agency when it looked likely Petro was gonna wait in free agency regardless, and the picture is pretty complete.

I just think it was a shitty plan.
Perhaps, although I’d wager that there wasn’t a guarantee we couldn’t reach an agreement with Petro when the Faulk trade/extension happened. I feel like talks were still early in the process then.

a family man wouldnt move his kids to Las Vegas (LOL) over petty minor things like how bonuses and how a contract is structured and turn down 8x8 which would enable his family to stay in the only city they have known. its clear he got some awful advice and its also clear that the family guy act is just that, an act

i cannot wait to see if these tampering rumors are true from Vegas because its gonna be amazing if they sign him and then the rumors are proven true.
To be fair while there is much truth to Vegas and the “What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas” slogan. There are actually normal parts of the area beyond the strip and the touristy areas. For example the Golden Knights practice facility is located in the Sumerlin area which from what I’ve seen of it is a very nice suburban community. So just him signing and going to Vegas doesn’t negate the family man in him. And his desired structure of a deal (NMC) was likely for him to have the guarantee his family is staying put here.

Last edited:

blues80

Dec 10, 2018

And. Now he's looking at less money

Reactions: Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Which is more likely

A) Petro wanted out
B) his agent is a moron and screwed up
C) Armstrong screwed up
Most likely a mix of B & C.

IF Armstrong was aware that Pietrangelo wanted to stay, then why did he trade for Faulk and then sign him to that absurd contract? It doesn't make sense to me. Right now nothing makes sense to me.
Hang in there friend, tomorrow is a new day.

Reactions: simon IC

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Talk about a bad GM. McPhee pays the price for Petro. Yes, he got his man, but saddled with a NMC at $8.8 for 7 years.
Then he moves Schmitt for nothing to Vancouver just to shed cap to pay for Petro. With Petro and removing Schmitt , that's not a Stanley Cup defense. Guess nobody wanted Fleury or Pacioretty. Add in coach DeBoer ,who can't seem to finish , so what actually has McPhee done?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad