Should Crosby Still be #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think of him as an NHL player, not a prospect. Most of the players ranked aren't really prospects, IMO. It's more like a Young Stars of Hockey ranking. Or a 20/20 Hindsight - Pt. I ranking of last year's top prospects. Which is fine, no knock on that.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
No question in my mind.

This is not the rookie race where people are always fast to makes us all remember the age difference doesnt worth anything.

This is the top 50 list and the 2 years gap makes (should) in my mind Crosby ahead of Ovechkin.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ovechkin is the clear no.1 at this point but Crosby will be the no.1 on the list regardless.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Ovechkin is the better rookie... but he has about 2 years on Crosby... the difference in a player from 18 to 20 is huge. If I were a betting man, I would say Crosby at age 20 will be better than any other player at age 20.

Allsmokenopancake

Jul 21, 2005
Donegal, Ireland
According to the hockey news, future watch edition, ovechkin and crosby are no longer considered prospects, their lists were compiled in late november and early december.

Malkin is the #1 consensus prospect, with Jack Johnson being #2.

The only cap on it is Eric Fehr at #30

Mark Andre Fleury is # 6 and the pens also have another one there too, can't remember offhand who it is.

Great read throughout, breaks down the top 50, as well as the top 5 for each team, some are in the NHL now, and rank lower than other prospects in the organization (brooks laich for the caps for example, caps fan so using them as my point) but its based on overall potential so fehr, chris bourque are rated above them.

Worth buying, good story on the state of american hockey, and the grassroots struggles of getting people into hockey too.

Article about phil kessel and a 2007 draft future watch bit about Angelo Esposito (no relation to the other espositos)

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Echoing what others have said, Crosby does still deserve to be #1. And that's simply because these are prospect rankings and not Calder rankings. I think Crosby's the 3rd best rookie this year, but as far as prospect rankings go, I'd be willing to bet that 2 years from now, Crosby will be better than Ovechkin is right now, just as I'd be willing to bet that Crosby is better now than Ovechkin was 2 years ago.

Edit: However, I do think that while they are technically considered rookies by HF's criteria, I think it's still rather silly to consider most of these guys prospects if they've already secured a permanent spot in the NHL.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
He should be #1 and I'd be shocked if he wasn't. From a pure "prospect" point of view he is years younger than the other possible #1's and is just as good. If AO wants to be the clear cut #1 he should more then 4 points up on a guy that 2 years younger than him. I'd assume Phaneuf and Malkin are #3 and #4 but they don't match up either. Phaneuf is a Dman and that pretty much docks points automatically and Malkin isn't doing it in the NHL, which pretty much kills him too.

Allsmokenopancake

Jul 21, 2005
Donegal, Ireland
DustinBrownFan said:
Allsmokenopancake said:
"Mark Andre Fleury is # 6 and the pens also have another one there too, can't remember offhand who it is."

Flueury is no longer a prospect (he graduated)

Again, as I said in my initial post, the data was compiled in late nov/early dec.

I believe Fleury was only called up at the end of november (could be wrong on this), so when this was compiled, he was still under the # of games they considered a prospect. There are a few that are playing with the bigs now who are on the list

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd still list Crosby #1.

If I had the choice to add any one to my team for the rest of this season I'd take Ovechkin without much hesitation.

If I'm selecting who I want for the next 15 years, I'd give Crosby the slight edge.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hmm, let's see, when was the last time an 18 year old was in the top 10 in scoring after two thirds (roughly) of the season?
In any case, I said last time that the two guys should be toed, and I stand by it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Evilo said:
Hmm, let's see, when was the last time an 18 year old was in the top 10 in scoring after two thirds (roughly) of the season?
In any case, I said last time that the two guys should be toed, and I stand by it.

I think with these two even if you cut off one of their toes they still would be in the top ten scoring.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Ovechkin and Malkin are both a good deal older than Crosby, especially Ovechkin. He was ready for the NHL in '03, so he probably won't get TOO much better than he already is. Crosby, as much a spoiled, whimpering brat as he shown tgo be, has miles higher to go, and you can see it in his play.

I'm starting to believe Malkin might be even better than Ovechkin in the long run. Crosby beats them both combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad