Speculation: Should/Could VGK go after Jagr this summer? - or should anyone go for Jagr?

Do you think Jaromir Jagr is still good enough to play in the NHL, when 100% healthy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
In a recent NY Times interview Jaromir Jagr said that, he isn't ready to retire yet
and he'd wish to play in the NHL.

"I don't want to retire yet. I can always play here," he said.
"My plan is just to get healthy first and then see how far I can go."

"I would be more happy if I was in the NHL now, but as a second option, this is the place I want to be," Jagr told The Times. "I got an opportunity and for whatever reason I didn't play my best and I got injured."
"I'm kind of practicing on my own slowly," Jagr said. "I want to get completely healthy and then see what happens

---

Jagr played great for Panthers&Gallant, Gerard knows him, knows what he can do
when he is 100% healthy, in my mind Jagr would be great fit for a new organization
great fit for their 2nd season, then maybe, when he decides to finally retire, he'd
join Gallant's coaching staff.

---

He clearly has something left to prove, to himself and to hockey world
he can still be effective when he is 100% healthy.

Now, its not necessary Golden Knights be the who he should only join with,
that's just one option, i bet Penguins fans would want him to wear
Penguins jersey for the last time, i just think Gallant&Golden Knights
would be the perfect fit, not the only one.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He looked pretty good in Calgary when he was healthy. Unfortunately he wasn’t healthy for long and at his age and with the NHL grind I can’t see him remaining healthy for a full season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He looked pretty good in Calgary when he was healthy. Unfortunately he wasn’t healthy for long and at his age and with the NHL grind I can’t see him remaining healthy for a full season.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Would a team be interested in him as a "part-time" player? Maybe not play back-to-backs, etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jagr at his age can't afford a year like this.
He was already carried in Florida on his last year and painfully slow.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Jagr at his age can't afford a year like this.
He was already carried in Florida on his last year and painfully slow.

Wasn't 100% healthy in his last Panther season (even though he played 82 games),
was about 40-50% healthy last season for Flames.

Last time when he was 100% healthy: 27 goals, 66 points +23 (0.85 ppg)
he was 44 at that time.

At his age, 44 vs 46&47 means absolutely nothing, its all about
is he healthy and does he have heart for the sport, for the latter...
no doubts for there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wasn't 100% healthy in his last Panther season,

he was 44 at that time.

no doubts for there.

That's 3 years ago, 3 years at his age, the age certainly is a factor. No one plays the full season at 100% anyways.
He was painfull to watch on his last year in Florida from day1. His hands had taken a massive decline and he was skating in mud, holding like crazy.

If you want to have a good team wirmth fast style you shouldn't want him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He didn't look "pretty good", unless you ignore anything but the offensive side of the game. Jagr was subpar in every area other than playing in the offensive zone and even there, I'd go with decent over pretty good.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Wasn't 100% healthy in his last Panther season (even though he played 82 games),

he was 44 at that time.

no doubts for there.

Well, he's certainly better than Chris Chelios.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
First of all he would need to get healthy - he got a concussion and (re)injured his knee shortly after coming back to Czechia. But honestly, I can't see it happening.
Maybe someone who wants a vet to mentor the kids and have a Czech speaking player at the same time... Carolina for Necas? That's assuming Jagr's willing to play 4th line, sit out games and get payed 600k, and assuming you don't care that he's slow as hell and not going to get better.
Really I'd only bring him back specifically if you want a mentor or an additional "coach on the ice".

IMO he should just play in Extraliga. He'll get the minutes he craves and he can probably be a hero for some team there for another ten years, not just the ancient relic who doesn't know when it's over. And it pains me to type that but it is what it is.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't see anyone giving Jagr a chance. Maybe a PTO, but I don't see him earning a spot.

It's a game of speed now, and Jagr can't provide that anymore. It's really as simple as that.

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
0 point in 10 playoffs games for Kladno in the Czech second league, I think it's over for him.

Edit: I think he's just a player/coach because his average time on ice for those games is 4 seconds !

Last edited:
Reactions: JuniorNelson

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
0 point in 10 playoffs games for Kladno in the Czech second league, I think it's over for him.

Edit: I think he's just a player/coach because his average time on ice for those games is 4 seconds !
Yes. He's injured, but to be eligible for something else, he has to dress for the games. I can't remember exactly what it is, but he literally only dresses for the game but serves as a coach

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Loved the chance to have him here, but it was just too much for him to stay healthy. Maybe if he has a full offseason he can come in better, but while I loved the mentorship aspect, the distraction of whether or not he was healthy to play every single game was a problem imo.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yes. He's injured, but to be eligible for something else, he has to dress for the games. I can't remember exactly what it is, but he literally only dresses for the game but serves as a coach
It's because of Kladno playing relegation/qualification games to possibly ascend to Extraliga. To be allowed to play in the qualification, Jagr had to play in a certain number of regular season games - which looked doable until another player smashed him head-first into the boards, to the point that they had to take Jagr to the hospital.
After that hit he was a mess, but wanted to preserve the option to play if his medical state improved, hence those games where he played for 4-5 seconds and then coached from the bench. He says he'll only play if he feels healthy and if Kladno is doing badly in the qualification games - if he's not 100%, or if they're doing well without him then there's no point for him to get involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->