Should Canada bring back a very physical checking-line?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't have a problem with a checking 3rd or 4th line so long as it's still the highest quality 3rd or 4th line in the tournament. Once you start sacrificing ability for role you put yourself at a disadvantage.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
as always... voice of reason.

although my st. louis preference for defensive forward who can mesh with O'Reilly is J. Schwartz.

I really like Schwartz but he's a B team player in my view. No offense to him. There's plenty of hockey left between now and December 2021 though.

People tend to overthink these things and this has gotten us into trouble in the past. Sometimes the best answer is the easiest answer. You see Doug Armstrong managing/selecting this team and you know he's a conservative manager, unlikely to surprise us with his selections. He'll lean on the 2014/2016 veterans that are still performing at an Olympic level (Crosby, Bergeron, Marchand, O'Reilly), bring in McDavid and MacKinnon to lead the offense, mix in some young blood (Point, Marner) and solid 200-foot players that have proven themselves internationally (Schiefele, Stone), and fill in any gaps from there. That's 10 of 14 forward spots taken already. Stamkos takes another spot because he's still our best triggerman and can play off of any of our centers. Then you fill in the final three forward spots with some combination of Couturier, Horvat, Huberdeau, Barzal, etc, etc. - whoever is coming off a good playoff run, is hot at the time, or can best replace someone in the top 9 in the event of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->