Should bridge deals be mandatory for players coming out of their ELC?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This would only effect the very top tier generational players. It's would be a *maximum* of $8 million (or $7 million, or whatever). A $5 million player is still a $5 million player you don't HAVE to pay him the maximum.

I feel like there would be a trickle down effect though. If the most McDavid could get was 8 million, then your current 8 million player would get to RFA and no way man he can't command McDavid money. He gets 7, then your typical 7 million dollar player can't command what the 8 million dollar guy got, gets 6.2. Then the current 6.2 million player can't command that and gets 5.5, then the current 5.5 million player doesn't get than and gets 5, the current 5 million player gets 4.7 or whatever.

Also if you're capping it at 4 and then immediate UFA I don't like that either. You're forcing guys to UFA ASAP. Telling teams they can't try to sign a player to a contract that takes up UFA years and can only try to succeed in doing that as an extension at the last year of the players bridge contract.

The current system is fine. McDavid deserves more than 8. And I'm not going to feel sorry for the Oilers about it either because if they don't want McDavid feel free to trade him. Something tells me they won't.

Last edited:

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Absolutely terrible idea. Would mandate tanking and destroy any parity that is left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad