Speculation: Should Bob Mason be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Goaltending has been an issue for a long, long time with Minnesota. The Wild haven't ever drafted and developed a starting goaltender (Harding should have, but injuries eventually got to him) and the backups have been spotty at best. Kahkonen looks good, but we'll see - but I'm wondering if it isn't time to let Mason go and find another goaltending coach and see if that helps - maybe not Dubnyk or Stalock, but Kahkonen and Robison and Jones when they come up.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I envision the new head coach bringing in his own guys, so if he doesn’t believe Bob Mason is the guy going forward, he probably won’t be.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I envision the new head coach bringing in his own guys, so if he doesn’t believe Bob Mason is the guy going forward, he probably won’t be.

Bob Mason has survived; Richards, Yeo, Torch (interm), Boudreau and now Evason.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I don't know. I mean, if you want to blame him for all goaltending problems, then yeah. Prior to this year, I think he's done a pretty great job with various goalies who weren't viewed as NHL starting goaltenders. Roloson, Fernandez, Backstrom, Harding, Kuemper, Dubnyk and Stalock have all played above expectations at times with Mason as coach. I think this year you could make the argument that Dubnyk and Stalock have struggled for various reasons and I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to try a different direction, but I would also be fine with Mason continuing in his current capacity.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Roloson, Fernandez, Backstrom, Harding, Kuemper, Dubnyk and Stalock have all played above expectations at times with Mason as coach. .

Roloson and Fernandez maybe a product of the system along with Backstrom. Harding did not play above expectations. He was a 2nd round pick! Kuemper is playing better outside of Minnesota and was inconsistent. Stalock, I can give you but most want him gone. Dubnyk was good before he came to Minnesota.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Roloson and Fernandez maybe a product of the system along with Backstrom. Harding did not play above expectations. He was a 2nd round pick! Kuemper is playing better outside of Minnesota and was inconsistent. Stalock, I can give you but most want him gone. Dubnyk was good before he came to Minnesota.
Ok, I think you're splitting hairs a bit, but my point is that Mason has been the constant over several seasons of taking chances on and developing acceptable NHL-quality goalies who had several question marks on them in regard to being a NHL-level goaltender.

Like I said, if people want to move on from him, ok, but I'm not going to lay this season at his feet when he's dealing with one goalie going through massive stresses in his personal life and another goalie who was basically viewed to be on his way out of the NHL when we signed him a few years ago.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Kuemper was a young and player and struggled outside of Minnesota for a while too

Dubnyk was also very good in Minnesota until his age caught up

fgobuzz

Dec 10, 2010
Kentucky
Hell yes! Time for a change. Have always heard how good/great he is/was but I'm not seeing the results. Hasn't developed a young netminder here and the veteran goalies brought in have generally gotten worse the longer they're here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I couldn't tell you what is and what isn't good about the assistants. I doubt anyone here could answer whether or not Bob should go. Not like we have a goaltender worth a damn right now to judge anything on. Dubs is past his expiration date and Stalock is being asked to play a role he's just not good enough to be in.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
In football, when the offense or defense is trash, the coordinator goes. That's just the way it is sometimes. I mean, they just got the head coach fired, so I don't know why the position coach would get away unscathed.

Last edited:
Reactions: fgobuzz

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I have no idea what makes for a good or bad goalie coach, but the results suggest that there's really no reason to consider him good enough to not replace with the current regime change.

Reactions: fgobuzz and Bazeek

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Bob Mason has survived; Richards, Yeo, Torch (interm), Boudreau and now Evason.

"What? Oh, I'm heartbroken to hear that's your decision. Sure, I understand. Just set that pink slip there on my desk so's I officially receive it."
*Blocker save*
*Pad save*
*Flying bearcat crease clear*
"What's that, sobby? You decided to reconsider my role in the what now? I don't think I can understand you with that wad of paper not in your mouth."

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kemps issues were all in his head. He had better positioning and was more athletic than Dub ever was in MN. I don't know if you can blame the goalie coach for him crumpling mentally after he let a goal in?

Goalies are a strange bunch. They can't/won't play out of their comfort zone. Take Dub playing the puck outside of the crease, he's awful at it. If Mason has tried to make him better at it and Dub just isn't comfortable doing it then he won't get any better. If Mason hasn't really tried to make Dub better at it then it's on the coach.

I think it's probably time for a new goalie coach, but who is an upgrade over Mason? I really have no clue on that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
More like the cheerleading coach. They coach "different" players.

I could see it as the kickers coach. Kickers are definitely qualify as "different" players.

Special teams coach covers all punts, kickoffs, returns, and field goals. They have to deal with a lot of different personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->